How do magnetic fields curve spacetime?

In summary, according to the conversation, the Einstein-Maxwell equations show that electromagnetic fields contribute to the curvature of spacetime. It is unclear if a non-flat metric will cause a magnetic field to satisfy a different equation than Laplace's equation. Humans cannot generate magnetic fields strong enough to cause observable gravitational effects, and there are no naturally occurring magnetic fields in the universe strong enough to cause something to orbit without additional matter. Additionally, it is unlikely that a simple dipole field, even of sufficient strength, would cause observable gravitational effects.
vibe3
According to the Einstein field equations, matter and energy both curve spacetime. I'm wondering how magnetic fields contribute to the curvature of spacetime. I have a few questions:

1. Does a magnetic field in a current-free region of a curved spacetime still satisfy Laplace's equation? Or is there an adjustment needed to Laplace's equation?

2. If there is a magnetic dipole sitting in space, how strong would it need to be to create stable orbits for some object nearby?

3. Do there exist any naturally occurring magnetic fields in the universe strong enough to cause something to orbit it without additional matter?

4. Can humans generate magnetic fields strong enough to cause observable gravitational effects, ie an artificial gravity field?

5. Does there exist a nice solution for the metric due a general potential magnetic field? I did a literature search but only found specialized solutions for Swarzschild/Kerr metric with a magnetic dipole.

Physics news on Phys.org
PeterDonis said:
Take a look at the Einstein-Maxwell equations:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Einstein_field_equations#Einstein.E2.80.93Maxwell_equations

They are the Einstein Field Equation including the stress-energy tensor of a pure electromagnetic field (i.e., no charges or currents present) plus the source-free Maxwell Equations.

I'm aware of them and a better discussion is here:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maxwell's_equations_in_curved_spacetime

I'm hoping an expert can let me know if a non-flat metric will cause a B field to satsify some other equation than Laplace. From staring at the equations for [itex]D^{\mu\nu}[/itex] and [itex]J^{\nu}[/itex] on that page, it seems that perhaps the answer is yes, but I'd like someone with more knowledge to chime in.

If B satisfies a different equation, I'd appreciate any links to solutions or further discussion

vibe3 said:
4. Can humans generate magnetic fields strong enough to cause observable gravitational effects, ie an artificial gravity field?
I call a NO on that one.
All animals have a nerve system which involves tiny electrical currents, and therefore tiny magnetic fields.
Can a human generate a magnetic field similar to that produced by the the supercooled magnets used by the LHC?
No, although evidence to the contrary would be very interestng.

rootone said:
I call a NO on that one.
All animals have a nerve system which involves tiny electrical currents, and therefore tiny magnetic fields.
Can a human generate a magnetic field similar to that produced by the the supercooled magnets used by the LHC?
No, although evidence to the contrary would be very interestng.

I don't understand the analogy - we wouldn't need to generate a complex field, a simple dipole field, of sufficient strength would probably cause enough curvature of spacetime to cause observable gravitational effects no?

vibe3 said:
I'm hoping an expert can let me know if a non-flat metric will cause a B field to satsify some other equation than Laplace.

For the field to be a pure B field you have to choose a particular frame; the Laplace equation isn't covariant to begin with.

vibe3 said:
Can humans generate magnetic fields strong enough to cause observable gravitational effects, ie an artificial gravity field?

To answer this, look at typical components of the stress-energy tensor of the EM field and compare them to typical energy densities for, say, a planet.

vibe3 said:
Do there exist any naturally occurring magnetic fields in the universe strong enough to cause something to orbit it without additional matter?

AFAIK no, not even close.

vibe3 said:
I don't understand the analogy - we wouldn't need to generate a complex field, a simple dipole field, of sufficient strength would probably cause enough curvature of spacetime to cause observable gravitational effects no?
Magnetic fields produced by any animal on Earth are of no consequence to the Universe.
Just don't go swimming in seas with high voltage eels/.

rootone said:
Magnetic fields produced by any animal on Earth are of no consequence to the Universe.
Just don't go swimming in seas with high voltage eels/.
Inconceivable!

Likes Ibix

1. How do magnetic fields affect spacetime?

Magnetic fields do not directly affect spacetime. Instead, they are a manifestation of the curvature of spacetime caused by the presence of massive objects. The presence of a magnetic field indicates the presence of a gravitational field, which in turn curves the fabric of spacetime.

2. Can magnetic fields alone curve spacetime?

No, magnetic fields alone cannot curve spacetime. As mentioned before, it is the presence of massive objects that creates gravitational fields, which in turn curves spacetime. However, magnetic fields can be used to indirectly measure the curvature of spacetime caused by massive objects.

3. How do we know that magnetic fields are linked to the curvature of spacetime?

There have been many experiments and observations that support the theory of general relativity, which describes how massive objects curve spacetime. One of the strongest pieces of evidence is the observation of gravitational lensing, where the light from distant objects is bent due to the curvature of spacetime caused by massive objects. This effect has been accurately predicted and explained by Einstein's theory of general relativity.

4. Can magnetic fields influence the trajectory of objects in space?

Yes, magnetic fields can influence the trajectory of particles with electric charge. This is known as the Lorentz force and is described by the equations of electromagnetism. However, this force is a result of the curvature of spacetime caused by massive objects, and not the magnetic field itself.

5. How do magnetic fields and gravity interact in the fabric of spacetime?

Magnetic fields and gravity are both manifestations of the curvature of spacetime. They are interconnected and cannot be separated from each other. The presence of a magnetic field indicates the presence of a gravitational field, and vice versa. Both phenomena are described by the theory of general relativity and are integral to our understanding of the universe.