How do manufacturers determine the 'rated' quantities for motors?

In summary, "Rated" refers to the maximum operating conditions of a motor, such as voltage, load, and temperature. This is determined by the manufacturer and is the range in which the motor will perform optimally for its expected lifetime. It's important to note that "rated" does not necessarily mean maximum in all aspects, as there may be minimum ratings for certain factors as well. It is also important to consider safety margins and tolerances when determining a motor's "rated" quantities.
yucheng
TL;DR Summary
N/A
I'm confused with the term "rated". I checked this webpage though I am not confident about it's reliability.

Context: Motor ratings etc.

Does it mean maximum? Maximum in what regard? Heat produced/temperature? Is there a more reliable source on how manufacturers determine the 'rated' quantities? Does it take into account safety margins, tolerances etc? (I might be jumbling jargon!)

Engineering news on Phys.org
I did some searching in the IEEE standards. They describe "rating" as what the equipment is designed to operate at continuously. I would link to it so you could read it, but it requires a login.

An example of voltage rating:

Maximum design voltage-to-ground: The maximum steady-state voltage-to-ground at which the high-voltage cable termination is designed to operate continuously under normal conditions.
NOTE—It is not intended that this maximum voltage limit be applied to transient overvoltages or unusual service operating conditions where the system voltage may exceed these values for only short periods of time.

Likes yucheng
scottdave said:
They describe "rating" as what the equipment is designed to operate at continuously.
Maximum?

yucheng said:
Maximum?
Usually, but not necessarily.
A motor would have maximums for Voltage, Load, Temperature; it could also have minimum ratings for Temperature and Speed.

The 'Rating' is the operating region where the motor will meet its expected lifetime when the rest of the 'Ratings' are approximately met..

For instance a bicycle may be rated for a speed of 25mph (40kph). You can operate it slower, but at some low speed it gets so difficult to balance it falls over.

At a higher speed of 50mph (80kph) the front wheel may start to shake or the brakes may overheat and fail at a sudden stop.

Hope this helps!

Cheers,
Tom

Likes scottdave and yucheng

1. What does "rated" quantity mean?

"Rated" quantities refer to the maximum or highest value that a particular measurement or variable is capable of reaching. It is often used to describe the maximum capacity or performance of a system or device.

2. How is the maximum rated quantity determined?

The maximum rated quantity is typically determined through testing and analysis. Scientists and engineers will conduct experiments to determine the limits of a particular system or device and then assign a maximum rated quantity based on those findings.

3. Why is it important to know the maximum rated quantity?

Knowing the maximum rated quantity is important for several reasons. It allows for safe and efficient use of a system or device, as exceeding the maximum rated quantity can lead to malfunctions or damage. It also helps in determining the capabilities and limitations of a particular technology.

4. Can the maximum rated quantity change over time?

Yes, the maximum rated quantity can change over time. As technology advances and new materials and methods are developed, the maximum rated quantity of a system or device may increase. It can also decrease if the system or device becomes damaged or worn over time.

5. How is the maximum rated quantity different from the minimum rated quantity?

The maximum rated quantity refers to the highest possible value, while the minimum rated quantity refers to the lowest possible value. Both are important in understanding the capabilities and limitations of a system or device.