Air motor: temperature of exhaust

In summary,In this conversation, the expert summarizer has learned that low temperature turbines just don't work, and that η=1-(Tout/Tin), however they don't think this takes pressure into account. They have also learned that an air compressor needs 400 to 450 hp to produce 1 kg/sec of air at 1000 kPa, and that two of these motors would use the full output of a two stage 250 hp Ingersoll Rand air compressor. They have also learned that the source of this waste heat may be something that can be reduced by improving process efficiency.
elektrinis
I have an industrial application where 20kW of heat is being wasted, which is painful to watch. I have learned already that low temperature turbines just don't work, so would like to check some ideas and better understand how air motors/turbines work. I have also learned so far that η=1-(Tout/Tin), however I don't think this takes pressure into account. This is where I am lost.

Let's say I have a closed system with air or other refrigerant:
* input at 1000 kPa, 50ºC, 1kg/sec
* scroll motor with expansion rate of 1:10
* output pressure at 100kPa

How do I go about calculating:
* input power?
* output temperature?
* mechanical power produced?

Is there anything missing?

Engineering news on Phys.org
The best way to find the power needed to compress air, and power produced from air motors, is to get it directly from the manufacturers catalogs. You will need to contact one of their sales engineers to find exhaust air temperature.

An air compressor needs 400 to 450 hp to produce 1 kg/sec of air at 1000 kPa: https://www.ingersollrandproducts.c...age-Oil-Flooded-Rotary-Screw-Compressors.html. Other manufacturers include Quincy and Sullair.

A rule of thumb from my plant engineering days is that it takes four horsepower of air compressor to produce one horsepower of work from an air motor. That does not include the power for the air dryer. Parker makes an air motor rated at 18 kW, or 24 hp. That motor needs 700 SCFM at full load, but at maximum 7 bar air pressure. Two of these motors would use the full output of a two stage 250 hp Ingersoll Rand air compressor, which is not that far off from the rule of thumb. http://www.parker.com/portal/site/P...t=EN&vgnextcatid=6147890&vgnextcat=AIR MOTORS

What is the source of this waste heat? Maybe there is a way to reduce waste heat by improving the process efficiency. That would be a far better approach than trying to reclaim that heat.

JRMichler said:
Parker makes an air motor...
That reminds me... of this . . :olduhh:I love that camera 'jerk'... I rather doubt I could hold it steady either. . :woot:

Likes Nidum
A good approach would be to consider the process using a thermodynamic process analysis.

It sounds like you're describing an Isentropic Expansion process, in which case the analysis technique is well-established. Given your input state (Air, 1000 kPa @ 50 ºC) you can calculate the final state properties because you know the final pressure (100 kPa).

Some equations for isentropic compression/expansion are given on NASA's Beginner's Guide to Aeronautics, so this might be a good starting point. You can calculate the exit temperature using the following equations (red arrow indicates the one you need):

upload_2017-12-19_12-43-38.png

I think you'll find the exit temperature is going to be very low, so this might be a problem for the design of your system.

Attachments

• upload_2017-12-19_12-43-38.png
    upload_2017-12-19_12-43-38.png
    11.9 KB · Views: 2,092
For some more information regarding calculating power output, you'll need to find the Enthalpy of air at State 1 and State 2. Once you've found the properties of State 2 (temperature and pressure) you can use the enthalpy difference (Δh, kJ/kg) multiplied by your mass flow rate (M_dot, kg/s) to estimate the isentropic power output for the system.

Some more information is given here: OU Thermodynamics E-Book

OU Thermodynamics E-Book said:
For an adiabatic turbine which undergoes a steady-flow process, its inlet and exit pressures are fixed. Hence, the idealized process for turbine is anisentropic process between the inlet and exit pressures. The desired output from a turbine is the work output. Hence, the definition of isentropic efficiency of turbine is the ratio of the actual work output of the turbine to the work output of the turbine if the turbine undergoes an isentropic process between the same inlet and exit pressures.

ηT = Actual turbine work/Isentropic turbine work
= wa/ws

wa and ws can be obtained from the energy balance of the turbine. Usually the kinetic and potential energies associated with a process through a turbine is negligible compared with the enthalpy change of the process. In this case, the energy balance of the turbine is reduced to

eq060502.gif

The isentropic efficiency of turbine can then be written as

ηT
eq060503.gif
(h2a - h1)/(h2s - h1)

where
h1 = enthalpy at the inlet
h2a = enthalpy of actual process at the exit
h2s = enthalpy of isentropic process at the exit

Attachments

• eq060502.gif
    eq060502.gif
    244 bytes · Views: 522
  • eq060503.gif
    eq060503.gif
    53 bytes · Views: 543

1. What is an air motor?

An air motor is a type of motor that uses compressed air as its power source. It converts the energy from the compressed air into mechanical energy, which can then be used to power various types of machinery.

2. How does an air motor work?

An air motor works by using the expansion of compressed air to create rotational motion. The compressed air enters the motor and expands, pushing against the vanes or blades inside the motor, causing them to rotate.

3. What is the temperature of the exhaust from an air motor?

The temperature of the exhaust from an air motor can vary depending on the type of motor and the operating conditions. In general, the exhaust temperature can range from 100-250°F (38-121°C).

4. Why is the temperature of the exhaust important?

The temperature of the exhaust is important because it can affect the performance and efficiency of the air motor. If the exhaust is too hot, it can cause damage to the motor and surrounding components. If it is too cold, it can lead to condensation and other issues.

5. How can the temperature of the exhaust be controlled?

The temperature of the exhaust can be controlled by adjusting the air pressure and flow rate into the motor. Additionally, using cooling methods such as air or water cooling can help regulate the temperature. It is important to monitor and maintain proper exhaust temperature to ensure optimal performance and longevity of the air motor.