How Do Multiple Cantilever Beams with Rigid Links Affect Load Distribution?

In summary, you need to solve Castigliano's theorem to find the total spring constant for the three beams.
DWSprings
Hi guys! I need some help mutiple cantilever beams.
There are three cantilever beams. Single load is applied at the end of an above beam only.
Each beam has own spring constant(k1, k2, k3), thickness(t1,t2,t3) and same width, B. They are connected with blue rigid links like on figure.
they are just applied for connected condition of beams and transfer forces to the other beams. Then they can be ignored structurally.

1. How can get total spring constant?

2. How can get load deviationon each section of beams?
(ab, bc, de, ef, gh)

Attachments

• IMG_2160.jpg
    IMG_2160.jpg
    20.2 KB · Views: 426
Engineering news on Phys.org
You'll have to draw 3 separate free-body diagrams and use Castigliano's theorem (CT) a lot. To get the total spring constant, you'll have to assume the deflection is x at the end of the top beam (point C) and then use CT to get the deflection at point B. Then, if those really are rigid links, then the deflection at B is the same as at point F. Do CT again to get the deflection at F. Then assume the deflection at F is the same as at point H. Then, since you have the deflections of all the beam ends in terms of x, then the equation becomes F = k_1*d_c + k_2*d_f + k_3*d_h, where d_z is the deflection at point z. Rearrange to get the form F = k*x and then k becomes the total spring constant.

The deviation in the beams can be solved for by Castigliano's theorem. I'll leave you to figure that out.

If this is a textbook-type question, the "rigid links" are probably meant to transmit only loads in the vertical direction - i.e. they are actiully pinned to the beams, not rigidily connected. In that case, what timthereaper said.

If the links really are rigid, so the rotation of the beam at each end must be the same, and when a finite length of link rotates the ends also move horizontally (so the beams have axial tension and compression as well as bending), this is getting too tough for a sane person to want to solve it by hand. Making a finite element model would be much more practical.

Actually the attached figure is a simplified model of laminated parabolic leaf spring.
then i drew the rigid links just for expressing the contact points of spring.
the FEA was aleady preformed but i want to get results with the theoretical method too.
i will try to get the constant with Casigliano's theorem~
timthereaper, AlephZero, Thanks for your help! :D

Related to How Do Multiple Cantilever Beams with Rigid Links Affect Load Distribution?

1. What is a cantilever beam?

A cantilever beam is a structural element that is supported at one end and extends freely into space. It is commonly used in buildings, bridges, and other structures to support loads.

2. What is the difference between a single cantilever beam and multiple cantilever beams?

A single cantilever beam is a structure with only one free end, while multiple cantilever beams have multiple free ends. This allows for a more complex load distribution and greater structural stability.

3. How do I calculate the load capacity of multiple cantilever beams?

The load capacity of multiple cantilever beams can be calculated by considering the individual load capacities of each beam, the distribution of the load, and the overall structural design. This calculation should be done by a trained engineer or using specialized software.

4. Are there any limitations to using multiple cantilever beams in a structure?

Yes, there are limitations to using multiple cantilever beams. These include the structural integrity of the beams, the overall design and load distribution, and the materials used. It is important to consult with a structural engineer to ensure that the use of multiple cantilever beams is appropriate for your specific project.

5. Can I use different materials for each of the cantilever beams?

Yes, it is possible to use different materials for each of the cantilever beams. However, it is important to consider the compatibility of these materials and their load-bearing capacities. A structural engineer should be consulted to ensure the safety and stability of the structure.