How do physicists/mathematicians verbalize these symbols?

• Thread starter lightlightsup
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Symbols
In summary, the symbols ##\hat{r}_{\perp}## and ##\hat{r}_{\parallel}## are often verbalized as r-perp and r-parallel by practicing physicists and mathematicians, but the pronunciation can vary as long as the symbols are defined at the beginning.
lightlightsup
Homework Statement
##\hat{r}_{\perp}## and ##\hat{r}_{\parallel}##: How do "practicing" physicists and mathematicians verbalize these symbols? If they ever do?
Do I say r-hat-perpendicular and r-hat-parallel?
Relevant Equations
Speak these in the common tongue: ##\hat{r}_{\perp}## and ##\hat{r}_{\parallel}##.
##\hat{r}_{\perp}## and ##\hat{r}_{\parallel}##
How do "practicing" physicists and mathematicians verbalize these symbols? If they ever do?

Physics news on Phys.org
As a systems programmer-engineer-architect, I've at times had to speak in mathematical terms. Rather than 'hat', I would say 'circumflex' for a diacritical above an 'a', or I'd say 'cirumflected a'. The following reference, by Larry Chang, of Lawrence Livermore Laboratory, gives both: E Book Handbook for Spoken Mathematics

Last edited:
Likes PeroK and lightlightsup
Whoa. Thanks for the book! It says a-hat and a-circumflex in there.

lightlightsup said:
Homework Statement:: ##\hat{r}_{\perp}## and ##\hat{r}_{\parallel}##: How do "practicing" physicists and mathematicians verbalize these symbols? If they ever do?
Homework Equations:: Speak these in the common tongue: ##\hat{r}_{\perp}## and ##\hat{r}_{\parallel}##.

##\hat{r}_{\perp}## and ##\hat{r}_{\parallel}##
How do "practicing" physicists and mathematicians verbalize these symbols? If they ever do?

r-perp and r-parallel. But really, if you define at the beginning what each symbol means and how you call it, you can pronounce it any way you want.

Zz.

What do the symbols used by physicists and mathematicians mean?

The symbols used by physicists and mathematicians represent mathematical concepts, equations, and relationships. They often stand for variables, constants, operators, and functions that are used to describe and solve problems in physics and mathematics.

Why do physicists and mathematicians use symbols instead of words?

Using symbols allows physicists and mathematicians to express complex ideas and formulas in a concise and precise manner. It also makes it easier to manipulate and solve equations, as symbols can be substituted and combined in various ways.

How do physicists and mathematicians choose which symbols to use?

The choice of symbols used by physicists and mathematicians is often based on convention, with certain symbols being commonly used to represent specific concepts or quantities. In some cases, symbols may also be chosen for their resemblance to the physical or mathematical properties they represent.

Are there universal symbols used by all physicists and mathematicians?

While there are some common symbols used in physics and mathematics, there is no universal set of symbols that is used by all physicists and mathematicians. Different fields and disciplines may use different symbols to represent the same concept, and individual researchers may also come up with their own symbols.

Is there a standard way to verbalize symbols used in physics and mathematics?

There is no single standard way to verbalize symbols used in physics and mathematics. However, there are some common conventions that are often followed, such as using the name of the symbol or a descriptive phrase to explain its meaning. Ultimately, the verbalization of symbols may vary depending on the context and the individual using them.