How Do Quark-Antiquark Pairs Form Mesons in Electron-Positron Collisions?

• Thread starter HarryDaniels
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Collision
In summary, an electron and positron collide and generate two photons. One of these photons becomes a quark and anti-quark pair, and the other becomes a gluon. The gluon can separate from the quark and antiquark and produce a jet of its own.
HarryDaniels
Edit, the title is electron, positron collision.
Sorry.

In the Feynmans Diagram involving a collision between a positron and a electron (or e+ and e-) a photon is generated and becomes a quark and anti-quark pair. Once these two are generate I know that one releases (radiates) a gluon. Can someone explain the formula and tell me whether or not this quark-antiquark pair use the gluon to become a meson?

Thank You
-Harry.

Physics news on Phys.org

HarryDaniels said:
Edit, the title is electron, positron collision.
Sorry.

In the Feynmans Diagram involving a collision between a positron and a electron (or e+ and e-) a photon is generated and becomes a quark and anti-quark pair. Once these two are generate I know that one releases (radiates) a gluon. Can someone explain the formula and tell me whether or not this quark-antiquark pair use the gluon to become a meson?

Thank You
-Harry.
Which formula are you asking about exactly?

In your example, for low energies, the quark and antiquark could become a meson, but at higher energies they would fly apart and combine with additional quarks/antiquarks (possibly created from ambient virtual photons, a.k.a. vacuum fluctuations) to become two distinct showers of particles, called jets. The emitted gluon can even separate from the quark and antiquark and produce a jet of its own. This is called a "three-jet event" (technical term :wink: no, really!) and it's frequently seen at large particle accelerators.

Sorry,
I was thinking of another formula.

Another Electron-positron collision

In my A-level book there is a diagram of an electron and a positron colliding and forming two EM radiation photons which go off at a 90 degree angle away from the direction in which the electron/positron hit. My problem is that in the Feynman Diagram an electron and a positron hit and one photon is created which becomes a quark anti quark pair.

Can someone explain to me why these are different?

first you should not think of Feynman diagrams of what is actually going on, the angles and lines etc are not REAL.

Thus the diagram in you A level book is repsenting the momentum arrows in the centre of mass frame for the electron (positron) and the photons.

Feynman diagram are something else.

Related to How Do Quark-Antiquark Pairs Form Mesons in Electron-Positron Collisions?

1. What is an electron-positron collision?

An electron-positron collision is a type of subatomic particle interaction in which an electron and a positron (the antiparticle of an electron) collide with each other. This collision results in the annihilation of both particles and the release of energy in the form of gamma-rays.

2. How is an electron-positron collision used in scientific research?

Electron-positron collisions are used in particle accelerators to create high-energy collisions that can simulate conditions and events that occurred in the early universe. This allows scientists to study the fundamental properties of matter and the laws of physics.

3. What happens during an electron-positron collision?

During an electron-positron collision, the particles annihilate each other, converting their mass into energy. This energy can then create new particles, such as photons and other subatomic particles, depending on the energy of the collision.

4. What is the significance of electron-positron collisions in understanding the nature of matter?

Electron-positron collisions provide valuable insights into the fundamental building blocks of matter and the forces that govern their interactions. By studying these collisions, scientists can better understand the properties of particles and their behavior at high energies.

5. Can electron-positron collisions be dangerous?

No, electron-positron collisions are not dangerous as they occur at a very small scale and are highly controlled in particle accelerators. The energy released during these collisions is also very small compared to other natural processes, such as lightning strikes.