How do telecommunications work?

In summary, the conversation discussed how telecommunications work and how cell phones are able to receive signals without interference. It was mentioned that cell phones have electronic receivers that filter out unwanted frequencies, allowing for clear communication. The conversation also suggested using online resources, such as the article on how cell phones work, to further explore the topic.
Benoit
How telecommunications work? I mean, there are so much waves around us nowadays, how my cellphone recognizes a single signal and rings only when it detects it? If my cellphone is a receipter, why can't I listen to my neighbor converstation, why isn't there a lot of interference and how waves, from my basement, successfully make their way to a very high antenna? I know I ask a lot, but I'm very curious and I know nothing.

Computer science news on Phys.org
Benoit said:
If my cellphone is a receipter, why can't I listen to my neighbor converstation, why isn't there a lot of interference and how waves

Part of it is that your cell phone contains an electronic receiver that is capable of filtering out everything but a small band of frequencies that your own phone uses, so most of that interference is simply filtered out.

Likes Evo
It's clearer now, thanks!

1. What is telecommunication?

Telecommunication is the transmission of information, such as words, images, or sounds, over long distances through the use of technology. This includes various forms of communication, such as telephone, internet, radio, and television.

2. How does telecommunication work?

Telecommunication works by converting information into electronic signals, which are then transmitted through various mediums, such as cables, wireless signals, or satellite systems. These signals are received and decoded by the intended recipient, allowing for communication to occur.

3. What are the different types of telecommunication?

The different types of telecommunication include wired communication, such as telephone and cable, wireless communication, such as cellular and satellite, and internet-based communication, such as email and video conferencing.

4. What are the benefits of telecommunication?

Telecommunication allows for instant communication over long distances, making it easier and more convenient to stay in touch with others. It also enables businesses to operate on a global scale and provides access to a vast amount of information through the internet.

5. What are some current advancements in telecommunication?

Some current advancements in telecommunication include the development of 5G networks, which promise faster and more reliable wireless connections, and the use of artificial intelligence in improving communication systems. Virtual and augmented reality technology is also being integrated into telecommunication, enhancing the user experience.