How do we arrive at Q = -1 from T3 and Y?

In summary, Q = T3 + Y/2 can be understood as a scalar or matrix equation depending on whether we are considering an individual particle or a multiplet of particles, respectively.
the_pulp
Im reading Peskin&Schroeder, chapter 20, the one that describes the Standard Model. I got the general idea, symmetry breakings and so on, but I am getting quite confused when starting to go to the first mathematical details.
My doubts are when, in eq 20.69 defines Q=T3+Y and then forces that Q=-1 for electrons. I get the general idea (changing basis and such) but I can't deal with the math. T3 is a 2x2 matrix (-i 0;0 i) and Y is something not defined but I think it is c*(1 0;0 1) with c undefined. So, how do we arrive from this matrixes to Q=-1? Am I right with my guesses of T3 and Y?
How do we add 2x2 mattrixes and we get 1x1 number? Is it that we are adding the eigenvalues? My doubt is about what is the math behind Y, T3 and Q and it is not about understanding the concept behind higgs, bosson masses and such.
Perhaps the doubt is too silly for someone who tries to understand this subject but you have been very useful in the past so I am sure you could lend me a hand here again!

Thanks in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org
The relationship Q = T3 + Y/2 can be considered either of two ways. For an individual particle we understand it to be a scalar equation. For example for an up quark, T3 = +1/2, Y = +1/3 so Q = +2/3.

When we consider several particles together as a multiplet, such as up and down quark, we understand it to be a matrix equation, in this case T3 = (1/2, 0; 0, -1/2) and Y is a multiple of the identity matrix, Y = YI where Y = +1/3. Then Q is also a matrix, Q = (2/3, 0; 0, -1/3).

Related to How do we arrive at Q = -1 from T3 and Y?

1. What are the fundamental charges in the Standard Model?

The fundamental charges in the Standard Model are the electric charge, the color charge, and the weak isospin charge.

2. How are charges represented in the Standard Model?

Charges in the Standard Model are represented by quantum numbers, which are used to describe the properties of particles, such as their charge, spin, and mass.

3. What is the relationship between the different charges in the Standard Model?

The electric charge is related to the color and weak isospin charges through the electromagnetic, strong, and weak interactions, respectively.

4. How are charges conserved in the Standard Model?

In the Standard Model, charges are conserved through the principle of gauge symmetry, which states that the laws of physics remain unchanged under certain transformations of the fundamental fields.

5. What role do charges play in particle interactions?

Charges play a crucial role in particle interactions, as they determine how particles interact with each other through the fundamental forces of nature.