How do we determine the ##H_0## from standard rulers and standard candle?

• I
  • Thread starter Arman777
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Standard
In summary: The numbers of galaxies for which...the distance to the cepheid can be measured with sufficient precision is not very large."
Arman777
Insights Author
Gold Member
I am doing a research project about Hubble tension. Even if I have some ideas about how we measure the $$H_0$$ by using the standard candles, i don't have much knowledge about it.

I suppose we are measuring the luminosity distance and then by dividing it (1+z) to get the proper distance and the using hubble's law we can find the Hubble parameter ?

But I have no idea about the standard ruler case. Can someone give me detailed explanation or some sources that gives detailed explanation to calculate these things ? (Standard rulers and standard candles)

Space news on Phys.org
Arman777 said:
I am doing a research project about Hubble tension. Even if I have some ideas about how we measure the $$H_0$$ by using the standard candles, i don't have much knowledge about it.

I suppose we are measuring the luminosity distance and then by dividing it (1+z) to get the proper distance and the using hubble's law we can find the Hubble parameter ?

But I have no idea about the standard ruler case. Can someone give me detailed explanation or some sources that gives detailed explanation to calculate these things ? (Standard rulers and standard candles)
In practice it's done through multi-parameter fits. You throw a bunch of parameters into one of a number of algorithms which estimates them all at the same time.

To understand a little bit of why standard candles constrain ##H_0##, in addition to the links that jedishrfu provided, you could check out this paper:
https://arxiv.org/abs/astro-ph/9905116

One side thing, though: the measurement of ##H_0## is exactly degenerate with the intrinsic brightness. So it turns out that the accuracy of the ##H_0## measure is basically just the accuracy of the average brightness of the standard candles. Which we get by using independent distance measures to calibrate the brightness.

There's also the issue that ##H_0## and the curvature ##\Omega_k## behave very similarly, so you need to either assume a curvature or use standard candles across a very wide range of redshift in order to get any reasonable constraint on ##H_0##.

kimbyd said:
In practice it's done through multi-parameter fits. You throw a bunch of parameters into one of a number of algorithms which estimates them all at the same time.
I think that's for standard rulers.
kimbyd said:
To understand a little bit of why standard candles constrain H0H0H_0, in addition to the links that jedishrfu provided, you could check out this paper:
It does not say much, If i did not look wrong..
kimbyd said:
There's also the issue that H0H0H_0 and the curvature ΩkΩk\Omega_k behave very similarly, so you need to either assume a curvature or use standard candles across a very wide range of redshift in order to get any reasonable constraint on H0H0H_0.
How so ?

I kind of figure it out how to use standard candles to measure the Hubble constant. But I did not understand the standart rulers idea.

I apologize for misreading. Standard rulers are much the same, however. Just different astrophysical phenomena. The only significant difference is you use the angular diameter distance instead of the luminosity distance.

In either case, there are two things you need to get ##H_0##. First, you need the observed lengths at different redshifts. Then you need a baseline estimate of the "true" length. The most common standard ruler comes from baryon acoustic oscillations, which is a ruler that expands with the universe. The "true" length comes from CMB observations, and at each redshift they compare the observed size to the "true" size to get the angular diameter distance. And once you have a distance estimate, you use one of the aforementioned fitting methods to obtain ##H_0## (and other parameters).

Likes Arman777
I see. I ll try to look it into the more detail. But currently I am kind of stuck at something. So can we measure distances to nearby cepheids by parallax method ?. Then we can calibrate the luminosity-period relation. But then in the article that I am reading its said that we are calibrating the SN Ia supernovas as well.

For that we are looking for cepheids that are near to SN Ia. We can calculate the distance to the cepheid using Leavitt's law. So to the SN Ia. But what does it mean calibrates the SN Ia ? Is that mean that we can measure the luminosit of SN Ia's that does not have cepheids stars nearby ? Its kind of not clear to me.

copying

"For Hubble constant determinations, the challenge in using SNe Ia remains that few galaxies in which SN Ia events have been observed are also close enough for Cepheid distances to be measured. Hence, the calibration of the SN Ia distance scale is still subject to small-number statistical uncertainties. At present, the numbers of galaxies for which there are high-quality 692 Freedman·Madore
Annu. Rev. Astro. Astrophys. 2010.48:673-710. Downloaded from www.annualreviews.org by California Institute of Technology on 04/03/11. For personal use only.
CepheidandSNIameasurements(inmostcasesmadewiththesametelescopesandinstruments as the Hubble flow set) is limited to six objects (Riess et al. 2009b)."

Essentially, yes. They use multiple "rungs" to calibrate the distance ladder appropriately, with each step calibrating the next. Sometimes we get lucky and there are local effects that allow far more accurate measurements of the distances to particular galaxies.

Note that some measurements, such as the Cosmic Microwave Background or Baryon Acoustic Oscillation measurements, do not rely upon the distance ladder at all.

I believe the current mismatch in measurements of the Hubble expansion rate came about precisely because a number of astrophysicists attempted to reduce the error bars on the various rungs of the distance ladder. Making those calibrations more precise brought the discrepancy to the foreground.

Oh, and as a side note, you don't necessarily need to use the distance ladder to use supernovae for cosmology. You can, for example, leave the intrinsic brightness of supernovae as a free parameter. This requires combining supernovae with some other data set to get any results (such as the CMB), but it is very much doable.

Likes Arman777
kimbyd said:
Note that some measurements, such as the Cosmic Microwave Background or Baryon Acoustic Oscillation measurements, do not rely upon the distance ladder at all.
Yes they based on standart rulers which is completely dark for me ...
kimbyd said:
Essentially, yes.
I see, thanks

Arman777 said:
Yes they based on standart rulers which is completely dark for me ...
The CMB observations use neither standard rulers nor standard candles. The potential systematic errors for at least the temperature data are very, very small. The polarization data is trickier (in part because of the design of the Planck and WMAP satellites, in part because the signal is so much dimmer). But still, the CMB data remains incredibly solid with very few input assumptions required.

This is just because of the nature of the CMB, where the physics of the early universe make the primary signal just so much brighter than the main systematic errors that might creep in. That and the physics of the early universe behaved in such a way that we can use approximations that make accurate calculations easy. This isn't possible with a lot of other things.

That said, naturally baryon acoustic oscillation measurements use standard rulers, but the standard ruler they use is measured from the CMB, which is already one of the cleanest cosmological measurements there is.

Likes Arman777
kimbyd said:
The CMB observations use neither standard rulers nor standard candles
Then how are they calculating it ? Any sources that can share ?

kimbyd said:
That said, naturally baryon acoustic oscillation measurements use standard rulers, but the standard ruler they use is measured from the CMB, which is already one of the cleanest cosmological measurements there is.
As an aside I wonder, why do we know the length of the sound horizon with such high precision? The Planck data are very accurate, so from this we know the subtended angle by the sound horizon. And it is clear that its length is a function of this angle. It seems that an accurate value of the angle corresponds to a value of the length equal in accuracy. Why are we sure about that?

timmdeeg said:
As an aside I wonder, why do we know the length of the sound horizon with such high precision? The Planck data are very accurate, so from this we know the subtended angle by the sound horizon. And it is clear that its length is a function of this angle. It seems that an accurate value of the angle corresponds to a value of the length equal in accuracy. Why are we sure about that?
I was going to go into a long explanation of how we know this value so precisely from theory, but then I realized it's much, much simpler than that. The relationship between the angular diameter distance of the sound horizon (which is directly measured) and the comoving distance (which is also the proper distance at the time of emission) is simply a factor of the redshift. The redshift is estimated by combining the observed CMB temperature (known to 0.02% accuracy) with the results of Earth-based experiments on the behavior of Hydrogen-Helium plasmas. Those Earth experiments (and theoretical analysis via quantum electrodynamics) show at what temperature the plasma condenses to a neutral gas, such that the ratio between that temperature and the observed temperature gives us the redshift.

As a result, we know the redshift of the CMB to an accuracy of 0.04%. The increase in the error bars comes from, I believe, uncertainty in the normal matter density at the time of emission, and the CMB measurement of the normal matter density has an accuracy around 0.7%.

Knowing the redshift and angular diameter distance accurately, then, provides an accurate estimate of the proper distance.

Likes timmdeeg
kimbyd said:
Knowing the redshift and angular diameter distance accurately, then, provides an accurate estimate of the proper distance.
At the time of recombination the sound wave is "frozen", so we measure its angular size precisely. But how do we know its the proper length expressed in light years at that time (according to Wikipedia 480 million LJ)? Doesn't this require the physics of the propagation of sound waves through the plasma?

EDIT
https://researchportal.port.ac.uk/p...coustic_oscillations_A_cosmological_ruler.pdf
In brief, the matter correlation function quantifies the excess probability of finding a pair of mass concentrations at separation r compared with the case in which concentrations are placed completely at random.
That BAO feature is on a large enough scale that it participates in the expansion of the universe. It remains approximately fixed in units of comoving length, a scale that grows with cosmological expansion: At present, the BAO scale is approximately 150 megaparsecs (480 million light-years; a cluster of galaxies is 2–10 Mpc across). The width of the cover image corresponds to 2.5 BAO scale lengths
Positions of galaxies in the angular and radial directions are obtained in different ways. For that reason, testing the consistency of the BAO scale across the line of sight requires different cosmological quantities than testing the scale along the line of sight. Across the line of sight, we determine the BAO scale from the increase in the number of pairs with a given angular separation and use the cosmological model to relate angular separation to distance.

Is this just another approach to determine the BAO length? I must confess I don't yet grasp how one can deduce with high accuracy the proper length of the CMB sound waves from clusters of galaxies. Eventually by averaging the size of the clusters?Then it would be clear. I've just been skimming through this article though.

Last edited:
timmdeeg said:
how do we know its the proper length expressed in light years at that time

Because if you know redshift and angular size, you can calculate proper length.

timmdeeg said:
according to Wikipedia 480 million LJ

If by "LJ" you mean "light years", that is the estimated proper length of a typical BAO now, not at the time of recombination. More precisely, it's the estimated proper length now between comoving observers who, at the time of recombination, were located one BAO wavelength apart.

timmdeeg said:
Doesn't this require the physics of the propagation of sound waves through the plasma?

Not to just know the proper length, no; as above, knowing the redshift and the angular size are enough to calculate that.

If you want to explain why acoustic oscillations of particular proper lengths are present at recombination, that's where the physics of propagation of sound waves in plasma become useful.

Likes timmdeeg
PeterDonis said:
Because if you know redshift and angular size, you can calculate proper length.
Ah, understand. I have been thinking too complicated.
PeterDonis said:
If you want to explain why acoustic oscillations of particular proper lengths are present at recombination, that's where the physics of propagation of sound waves in plasma become useful.
Does the physics of propagation of sound waves in plasma yield said proper length at recombination consistent with the redshift - angular size calculation? Perhaps a possibility to compare prediction vs. observation (whereby I am not sure whether plasma physics predicts a certain sound wave length)?

timmdeeg said:
I am not sure whether plasma physics predicts a certain sound wave length

Any such prediction would depend on the initial conditions, and those are going to be model dependent. So I would say plasma physics would be used to test various models and their predictions (do the initial conditions that this model requires for the very early universe predict sound waves that are consistent with what we observe at recombination?), not to try to make a prediction independent of any specific model.

Likes timmdeeg
PeterDonis said:
Any such prediction would depend on the initial conditions
So could our knowledge of the sound wave length at recombination then provide some constraints regarding the initial conditions?

timmdeeg said:
could our knowledge of the sound wave length at recombination then provide some constraints regarding the initial conditions?

In a sense, yes, since that knowledge can be used to test models. But "retrodicting" properties of the early universe from data at recombination is model-dependent, so I don't know if the data could be used to provide any model-independent constraints by itself.

Likes timmdeeg
Thanks for some new insights.

1. How do we determine the ##H_0## value?

The ##H_0## value, also known as the Hubble constant, can be determined by using standard rulers and standard candles. Standard rulers are objects with known physical sizes, such as galaxies or galaxy clusters, while standard candles are objects with known intrinsic brightness, such as supernovae. By measuring the apparent size or brightness of these objects and comparing it to their known sizes or brightness, we can calculate the distance to these objects. The Hubble constant is then calculated by dividing the recession velocity of these objects by their distance.

2. What is the significance of determining the ##H_0## value?

The Hubble constant is a fundamental parameter in cosmology and is used to measure the expansion rate of the universe. By determining the value of ##H_0##, we can better understand the age, size, and evolution of the universe. It also helps us to test and refine theories about the origin and fate of the universe.

3. How accurate are the measurements of standard rulers and standard candles?

The accuracy of these measurements depends on the precision of our instruments and the quality of our data. With advancements in technology, our measurements have become increasingly accurate, and we are able to determine the Hubble constant with a margin of error of less than 1%.

4. Are there any challenges in using standard rulers and standard candles to determine the ##H_0## value?

One of the main challenges is finding objects that can serve as reliable standard rulers and standard candles. The properties of these objects can also vary, making it difficult to accurately measure their sizes or brightness. Additionally, there may be discrepancies in the data due to factors such as dust obscuration or gravitational lensing.

5. How does the value of ##H_0## affect our understanding of the universe?

The value of ##H_0## affects our understanding of the universe in many ways. It helps us to determine the age of the universe, the rate of expansion, and the amount of matter and energy in the universe. It also plays a crucial role in understanding the structure and evolution of the universe, as well as the formation of galaxies and other cosmic structures.