How do we know what a neutron is made of?

• I
  • Thread starter momoichi8382
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Neutron
In summary: I've never been sure if talk about nucleons being "held together" by the Strong Force or them being "made of quarks" actually make sense. When you look at QCD nonperturbatively protons and neutrons are simply eigenstates of the Hamiltonian and quark and gluon states aren't elements of the Hilbert space.In summary, we have physical evidence for the composition of a proton because it decays from a neutron. However, all experiments involving neutrons involve protons and possibly a neutron, so we cannot say for certain that we are getting readings from neutrons instead of protons. We also have experimental evidence that a neutron is made of two down quarks and one up qu
momoichi8382
we have physical evidence for the composition of a proton because it decays from a neutron

however all experiments such as https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Deep_inelastic_scattering etc, always involve a proton and possibly a neutron, in fact you can't accelerate a neutron without a proton, deuterium etc also must have protons, targets etc. have protons, since all these experiments about neutrons have protons how do we know we're not getting readings from protons instead of neutrons

what I'm asking is, a neutron is said to be 2 down quarks and 1 up quark, well how do we know a neutron isn't actually 3 up quarks which then decays into 2 up and and 1 down when it turns into a proton, I'm not saying i believe a neutron is actually 3 up quarks, I'm just saying how do we know it isn't?

do we know it isn't from purely mathematical reasons or can we experimentally prove it as well? do we simply know because we smash atoms together and count the ratios of up and down quarks?

thanks in advance

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Up quarks have a charge of +2/3, while down quarks have a charge of -1/3. Since the neutron has a charge of 0, it must consist of 1 up quark and 2 down quarks. For a proton to get a charge of +1 it needs 2 up quarks and 1 down quark. The experimental evidence is for the existence of quarks inside these particles.

see but that seems like more of a mathematical proof, for all we know a quark could attract itself, without a positive or a negative charge (i don't believe such in the slightest), but i think if it's only mathematical we're grasping at straws when we say a neutron is 2 down and 1 up

i don't believe it is purely mathematical because my knowledge about quarks is very poor, so I'm hoping responds with experimental observations

The total electric charge is always the sum of the components. This is independent of any attraction or not. This alone shows that the neutron has to have two down one up already.

We have found the particle made out of three up quarks. It is called ##\Delta^{++}##. Due to symmetries it has to have a mass significantly above the mass of proton and neutron (1232 MeV instead of 940 MeV). This has been predicted, and it has been measured.

Experiments with deuterons or heavier nuclei show the total amount of quarks in these nuclei. You can subtract the contributions from protons and get the contributions from neutrons - twice as much down as up.

And so on. There are literally hundreds of measurements that would all be in horrible disagreement with predictions if the neutron would be made out of three up quarks. The non-conservation of charge would be the most obvious one.

momoichi8382 said:
see but that seems like more of a mathematical proof, for all we know a quark could attract itself, without a positive or a negative charge (i don't believe such in the slightest), but i think if it's only mathematical we're grasping at straws when we say a neutron is 2 down and 1 up

i don't believe it is purely mathematical because my knowledge about quarks is very poor, so I'm hoping responds with experimental observations
I'm no expert, but this makes no sense from my simple perspective. It attracts itself with no charge? Wouldn't that go against symmetries and charge=attraction/opposition? Without charge, what do you propose would cause it to "attract itself"?

How about gauge symmetry or the usage of arbitrary "names", such as up/down or +/-, and whether our picture or description "matters" to nature and what is actually going on. One of the non-descript "it is that way because it is, however we choose to label it"

Last edited:
Droidriven said:
I'm no expert, but this makes no sense from my simple perspective. It attracts itself with no charge? Wouldn't that go against symmetries and charge=attraction/opposition? Without charge, what do you propose would cause it to "attract itself"?
The nucleons are held together by the strong interactions, not the electromagnetic one.

Orodruin said:
The nucleons are held together by the strong interactions, not the electromagnetic one.
I was replying more to his comment about "attracts itself" than what does or doesn't actually bind them.

I've never been sure if talk about nucleons being "held together" by the Strong Force or them being "made of quarks" actually make sense. When you look at QCD nonperturbatively protons and neutrons are simply eigenstates of the Hamiltonian and quark and gluon states aren't elements of the Hilbert space.

Sometimes it seems that quark and gluon fields simplify the field algebra, at the cost of unphysical states.

1. What is a neutron made of?

A neutron is made up of three quarks - two down quarks and one up quark - that are held together by the strong nuclear force.

2. How do we know what a neutron is made of?

Scientists can determine the composition of a neutron through experiments such as scattering experiments and particle accelerators. These experiments allow us to observe the interactions between particles and study their properties.

3. Are there any other particles that make up a neutron?

Besides the three quarks, a neutron also contains gluons, which are particles that mediate the strong nuclear force. They play a crucial role in holding the quarks together.

4. Can a neutron be broken down into smaller particles?

No, a neutron is considered to be an elementary particle and cannot be broken down into smaller components. It is one of the building blocks of atoms, along with protons and electrons.

5. How does the composition of a neutron impact its properties?

The composition of a neutron affects its mass, charge, and spin. The strong nuclear force between the quarks also plays a significant role in the stability of the neutron and its ability to interact with other particles.