How do we make our own non sticky viscous gel?

• Thread starter abdulbadii
  • Start date
  • Tags
    viscous
In summary, a group was discussing how to make a non-sticky or minimally sticky gel for use as a suspending or bedding buffer for PCB assembly and soldering. The process involves mixing a base material like starch or fine wood sawdust with water and possibly glue, and then neutralizing with acetone if needed. One person mentioned using PVA and Borax to make a slimy or firmer version, but the original poster hasn't heard of this. Another person in the group is familiar with PCBA assembly and soldering and asked for more details about the specific application.
abdulbadii
TL;DR Summary
How do we make our own non sticky viscous gel
How do we make our own non or very little sticky viscous gel as ever overheard and glimpsed a chat circle of 3-4 persons conferring one another about how making it correctly and had successfully realized one in hand of one of them

But that casual time quite short so one would have no chance to learn or perceive of it well, Iirc it involved base matter e.g. starch or maybe fine wood sawdust mixed with water and maybe glue, then if too sticky it'd be neutralized with some acetone (or s.t. else better)

Anyone really gone through it so that will share experiences now please ?

Physics news on Phys.org
Is this the slime you can make with PVA and Borax? It can be mixed to be slimy or a firmer version called flubber.

Unfortunately haven't heard that due to my noobs

The point is the gel viscosity is needed to be used reliably enough as suspending/bedding buffer for PCB onto which a component is being soldered

abdulbadii said:
The point is the gel viscosity is needed to be used reliably enough as suspending/bedding buffer for PCB onto which a component is being soldered
Looks like you came to the right place; I'm quite familiar with various PCBA assembly and soldering processes. Can you say more about your application? What kind of component do you need to hold in place for the soldering process? Is this reflow or wave soldering? Top side or bottom side of the PCBA? The more details you can give us, the better our answers can be.

Likes jim mcnamara, anorlunda and dlgoff

1. How do we make our own non sticky viscous gel?

Making a non-sticky viscous gel involves mixing a thickening agent, such as xanthan gum or carbomer, with a liquid base, such as water or oil. The thickening agent should be slowly sprinkled into the liquid while stirring continuously until the desired viscosity is achieved. It is important to follow the recommended ratios for the specific thickening agent being used.

2. What are some natural alternatives for thickening agents?

Some natural alternatives for thickening agents include agar agar, carrageenan, and guar gum. These substances are derived from plants and can be used to create a non-sticky viscous gel without the use of synthetic chemicals.

3. Can I add color or fragrance to my non-sticky viscous gel?

Yes, you can add color and fragrance to your gel, but it is important to use ingredients that are safe for topical use. Natural colorants, such as beetroot powder or turmeric, can be used to add color, while essential oils can be used for fragrance. It is important to research the appropriate usage rates for these ingredients to avoid any skin irritation.

4. How do I prevent my non-sticky viscous gel from separating?

To prevent separation, it is important to properly mix the thickening agent and liquid base together. This can be achieved by slowly sprinkling the thickening agent into the liquid while stirring continuously. Additionally, using a preservative can help to stabilize the gel and prevent separation over time.

5. Can I adjust the viscosity of my gel after it has been made?

Yes, you can adjust the viscosity of your gel after it has been made. If the gel is too thick, you can add more liquid base to thin it out. If the gel is too thin, you can add more thickening agent to increase the viscosity. It is important to add these ingredients slowly and mix well to avoid over-thickening or thinning the gel.