How do we see the color violet?

• Thread starter resurgance2001
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Color
In summary, the eye can see a violet color that has been produced by a combination of those primary colors, but when I see that violet at the end of spectrum, that is a pure violet that is made from simply one frequency, so how is it that the human eye is able to detect this pure frequency and the brain figure out it is violet and at the same time able to detect a mix of red blue and green and figure that out as violet? The eye has cells called cone cells, which are sensitive to different colors. When a we see a banana, the yellow light reflecting from it reaches our eyes and that yellow light is perceived by the different cone cells and the information is sent to the brain to be processed which
Think about what you "see." The eye connects thousands of rods and cones to the brain and the brain translates those many thousands signals into what we "see." We do not directly "see" the objects we look at, we "see" the image that our brain creates. When the brain receives signals from the red, blue, and green sensors in a particular area of the eye, it creates an image that has the characteristics we call white. Differing amounts of signals translate to different hues and intensities.
Our brains are some rather fantastic computing machines. All this is done not only unconsciously, but we have no way of "looking" or "sensing" inside our brains to detect what is going on. Absolutely incredible.

Physics news on Phys.org
sophiecentaur said:
I really think this thread should be discussing non-spectral colours more. After all, we never (not too strong a word, I would say) actually see spectral colours - certainly not in everyday life.

I don't think it's making too fine of a point to say, if you hold true your definition of colour to be a subjective perception, then this is a redundant statement. What is spectral or non-spectral colour if it is not tied to a spectrum of wavelengths/frequencies? If colour is connected to a spectrum, then how?