How do YBCO superconductors react with hydrochloric acid?

Mayhem
If we consider YBCO 123, YBa2Cu3O7-δ, what would the expected reaction if dissolved in aqeuous HCl? I have tried to find resources about this online, but the closest I got was related to Cl-containing YBCOs, and not actual reaction stoichiometry.

My intuition tells me the metal centers (Y, Ba) are not immediately affected as they are contained in the oxygen/copper cage. Rather, I'd expect products like copper chloride(s).

Chemistry news on Phys.org
Update: It turns out it reacts to form Y3+, Ba2+, Cu2+ and Cu3+ ions as well as chloride and water.

• Informative
Likes Tom.G

1. What happens when YBCO superconductors are exposed to hydrochloric acid?

When YBCO (Yttrium Barium Copper Oxide) superconductors are exposed to hydrochloric acid, the acid can react with the yttrium, barium, and copper oxides that make up the material. This reaction typically results in the degradation or dissolution of the superconductor's structure, potentially damaging its superconducting properties.

2. Does hydrochloric acid affect the superconducting properties of YBCO?

Yes, hydrochloric acid can significantly affect the superconducting properties of YBCO. The acid may break down the crystal structure essential for superconductivity, thus impairing or completely destroying the material’s ability to conduct electricity without resistance.

3. Can YBCO superconductors be protected from damage when exposed to hydrochloric acid?

Protecting YBCO superconductors from hydrochloric acid involves coating or encapsulating the material with acid-resistant materials. Common protective coatings include polymers or other inert substances that can prevent the acid from coming into direct contact with the superconductor.

4. What are the chemical reactions involved when YBCO interacts with hydrochloric acid?

When YBCO interacts with hydrochloric acid, the acid may react with the metal oxides (yttrium oxide, barium oxide, and copper oxide) in YBCO. These reactions typically form chlorides and water, along with possible release of other byproducts depending on the specific conditions, such as temperature and concentration of the acid.

5. Is there a safe way to dispose of YBCO superconductors that have been exposed to hydrochloric acid?

Disposal of YBCO superconductors that have been exposed to hydrochloric acid should be handled with care to avoid environmental contamination. It is advisable to neutralize the acid first with a base, such as sodium hydroxide, and then follow local regulations for disposing of hazardous waste, including any heavy metals or toxic substances released during the reaction.