How Do You Apply the Differential Form of Gauss's Law to an Infinite Cylinder?

In summary, the conversation discusses using the differential form of Gauss's law to calculate the electric field both inside and outside of an infinite cylinder with uniform volume charge density. The solution involves solving a differential equation and multiplying through by the radial coordinate to integrate and obtain the same result as the integral form.
mdxyz

Homework Statement

Calculate E inside and outside an infinite cylinder of uniform volume charge density using the differential form of Gauss's law.

Homework Equations

[tex]\nabla[/tex] E = [tex]\frac{p}{e0}[/tex]

p = charge density

Divergence in cylindrical polars:

be94b3e55572cfa8cb0fe2a048324766.png

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm aware this is much easier using the integral form. I have no problem with calculating E field of various symmetrical shapes using the integral form. However I specifically have to use the differential form. I've never seen an example of this and have looked for quite a while, and I'm not really sure what I'm doing at all.

All I can think is that by symmetry, differential of E in terms of theta and z are zero, but this still leaves an awkward derivative of E in terms of r, and I'm not sure what to do at that point.

Physics news on Phys.org
You have to use the awkward derivative, sorry. I am going to change symbols and use r for the radial coordinate and ρ for the volume charge density which is constant in this case. You get

[tex]\frac{d(E_r r)}{dr}=\frac{\rho \; r}{\epsilon_0}[/tex]

Can you solve this differential equation?

That's pretty much what I did, but I didn't think to multiply through by r. After that the integration is quite straight forward, and by varying the limits accordingly I get the same result as by the integral form for E field both inside and outside the cylinder.

Thanks a lot!

Related to How Do You Apply the Differential Form of Gauss's Law to an Infinite Cylinder?

1. What is Gauss's Law?

Gauss's Law is a fundamental law in electromagnetism that relates the electric flux through a closed surface to the charge enclosed within that surface.

2. Who is Odd Gauss?

Odd Gauss is not a person, but rather a play on words for "odd case" in the context of Gauss's Law. It refers to a hypothetical situation where the charge enclosed within a closed surface is zero, resulting in a unique solution to Gauss's Law.

3. How is Odd Gauss's Law different from regular Gauss's Law?

Odd Gauss's Law is a special case of regular Gauss's Law where the charge enclosed within a closed surface is zero. This results in a simpler form of the equation and a unique solution for the electric field.

4. When is Odd Gauss's Law applicable?

Odd Gauss's Law is applicable when the charge enclosed within a closed surface is zero. This can occur in situations such as a neutral conductor or a region with no net charge.

5. What are some practical applications of Odd Gauss's Law?

Odd Gauss's Law is commonly used in theoretical and computational studies of electromagnetism, such as in the analysis of conductors and dielectrics. It also has applications in understanding the behavior of electric fields in neutral regions.