How Do You Calculate Acceleration and Tension in a Two-Mass Pulley System?

In summary, the block on the incline plane is 5 kg and is held in place by a massless rope. The coefficient of kinetic friction is µk = 0.1. The block experiences a 9.5 m/s^2 acceleration and a 100 N tension.
Sagekilla

Homework Statement

Find the the acceleration, a[/i, and the Tension, T, in the system shown below if (a) m1 = 5 kg and (b) m1 = 2 kg. assume the coefficient of kinetic fricton on the incline plane is µk = 0.1.

Other relevant information:
Mass 1 is a 5 or 2 kg block on a 30 degree incline plane (based so that Fy is Fsin(30) ) connected to a massless rope that holds Mass 2, a 5 kg block, over a pulley.

Homework Equations

Ff = (µk)(Fn)
w = mg (acceleration due to gravity is assumed to be 10 m/s^2 for easy calculation according to the professor)
Fnet = ma

The Attempt at a Solution

I solved for the weight of mass 1 as being:

m1 = 5 kg: W = 50 N * sin(30) = 25 N
m2 = 2 kg: W = 20 N * sin(30) = 10 N

And found force of friction:
Ff = 0.1 * 25 N = 2.5 N

The weight of block m2:
w = 10 m/s^2 * 5 kg = 50 N

I tried creating a FBD for block m1, where the following forces were applied:
W = 25 N
Fn = 25 N
Ff = 2.5 N
F = Wm2 (Wm2 = 50 N)

And a FBD for block m2, where:
W = 50 N
Except, I'm confused where to go from here now. I know I have to calculate tension still. I'm thinking that the total force being applied on m1 according to Newton's 2nd Law is:
Fnet = ma - Ff = 50 N - 2.5 N = 47.5 N

And acceleration is: a = 47.5 N / 5 kg = 9.5 m/s^2

2nd attempt:
I know Fnet = ma - T. and Fnet is not 0 N, it's 50 N. Since the rope is massless the tension is 2T = 100 N.I therefore arrive at the following answers of:
a = 9.5 m/s^2
T = 100 NDoes this look right?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF, Sagekilla.

Sagekilla said:

Homework Statement

Find the the acceleration, a[/i, and the Tension, T, in the system shown below if (a) m1 = 5 kg and (b) m1 = 2 kg. assume the coefficient of kinetic fricton on the incline plane is µk = 0.1.

Other relevant information:
Mass 1 is a 5 or 2 kg block on a degree incline plane (based so that Fy is Fsin(30) ) ...

Do you mean the block is 30 degrees from the vertical direction?

... connected to a massless rope that holds Mass 2, a 5 kg block, over a pulley.

Homework Equations

Ff = (µk)(Fn)
w = mg (acceleration due to gravity is assumed to be 10 m/s^2 for easy calculation according to the professor)
Fnet = ma

The Attempt at a Solution

I solved for the weight of mass 1 as being:

m1 = 5 kg: W = 50 N * sin(30) = 25 N
m2 = 2 kg: W = 20 N * sin(30) = 10 N

I see some issues here, mainly with terminology.

How about calling these mA and mB instead, since you say earlier that Mass 2 is fixed at 5 kg. It would make sense then to let m2 be the mass of Mass 2.

Also, the weight is simply m times g. It looks like you're calculating the weight force's y-component (because of the trig terms). Is this supposed to be the normal force--I see you use these numbers for calculating friction force next?

And found force of friction:
Ff = 0.1 * 25 N = 2.5 N

True if 25 N is the normal force, which is true if 30 degrees is with respect to vertical.

The weight of block m2:
w = 10 m/s^2 * 5 kg = 50 N

Okay, so now m2 is for Mass 2?

I tried creating a FBD for block m1, where the following forces were applied:
W = 25 N
Fn = 25 N
Ff = 2.5 N
F = Wm2 (Wm2 = 50 N)

Again:

W = m1 g = ____?
Fn -- looks okay.
Ff -- looks okay.
F (rope tension?) is not necessarily the weight of Mass 2, since there is an acceleration.

And a FBD for block m2, where:
W = 50 N

The rope tension should appear here too.

Except, I'm confused where to go from here now. I know I have to calculate tension still. I'm thinking that the total force being applied on m1 according to Newton's 2nd Law is:
Fnet = ma - Ff = 50 N - 2.5 N = 47.5 N

Not quite.
Fnet = ma, period

I'm going to stop here for now, and give you a chance to work through these comments before going further.

And acceleration is: a = 47.5 N / 5 kg = 9.5 m/s^2

2nd attempt:
I know Fnet = ma - T. and Fnet is not 0 N, it's 50 N. Since the rope is massless the tension is 2T = 100 N.

I therefore arrive at the following answers of:
a = 9.5 m/s^2
T = 100 N

Does this look right?

Thanks for your help :)

Here's the exact diagram if it'll help you any

http://img100.imageshack.us/img100/3443/diagramzv7.png I'll read over your comments and rework the problem once more and reply once I've finished.

I did the problem once more, this time only trying to solve for (a) to make things less confusing:

I found the Force in the x direction for mass 1:
F = 5 kg * 10 m/s^2 * cos(30) = 43.3 N

I solved for weight of mass m1:
w1 = 5 kg * 10 m/s^2 * sin(30) = 25 N

The normal force is the same magnitude as the weight for mass m1:
Fn = w1 = 25 N

And solved for the Frictional force, Ff, with coefficient of friction 0.1:
Ff = 0.1 * 25 N = 2.5 N

I also solved for weight of mass m2:
w2 = 5 kg * 10 m/s^2 = 50 N

The FBD for m1 was this:
w = -25 N
Fn = 25 N
Ff = -2.5 N
F = -43.3 N
T = ?

The FBD for m2 looks like this:
w = -50 N
T = ?

Last edited by a moderator:
Sagekilla said:
Thanks for your help :)

Here's the exact diagram if it'll help you any

http://img100.imageshack.us/img100/3443/diagramzv7.png

Thanks, yes, that is helpful.

I'll read over your comments and rework the problem once more and reply once I've finished.

I did the problem once more, this time only trying to solve for (a) to make things less confusing:

I found the Force in the x direction for mass 1:
F = 5 kg * 10 m/s^2 * cos(30) = 43.3 N

Not sure what you mean by "the Force in the x direction". There are several forces on m1 that act in the x-direction. Do you mean the sum of all the forces along x? Or something else?

Also, can you confirm that the x direction is the same as the vector a that is drawn in the figure, i.e. along the sloped surface?

I solved for weight of mass m1:
w1 = 5 kg * 10 m/s^2 * sin(30) = 25 N

The weight of anything is it's mass, multiplied by g=10m/s2. So the weight of mass m1 is m1*g. No trig is involved with finding the weight.

The normal force is the same magnitude as the weight for mass m1:
Fn = w1 = 25 N

Uh, the normal force is different than the weight because of the slope. You will need trig for that; it equals the weight only when the angle is zero degrees.

Last edited by a moderator:

Related to How Do You Calculate Acceleration and Tension in a Two-Mass Pulley System?

1. What is friction?

Friction is the force that resists the motion of one object against another.

2. What causes friction?

Friction is caused by the microscopic irregularities on the surface of objects that come into contact with each other.

3. How does friction affect motion?

Friction can either slow down or stop the motion of objects by converting kinetic energy into heat.

4. What is tension?

Tension is the force that is transmitted through a string, rope, or cable when it is pulled tight by forces acting from opposite ends.

5. How is tension related to friction?

Tension can increase friction as it creates more force between two surfaces in contact. However, tension can also reduce friction by pulling surfaces apart and reducing the area of contact.