How Do You Calculate Electrostatic and Gravitational Forces in a Helium Ion?

In summary, the conversation discusses a simplified model of the singly-ionized helium atom, He+, which consists of 2 protons and 2 neutrons in the nucleus with one electron orbiting at a constant distance. The conversation then asks about the magnitude of the attractive electrostatic force and the attractive gravitational force between the nucleus and electron. The conversation goes on to discuss using Coulomb's Law and how to determine the values for Q1 and Q2. It is clarified that the neutrons have no charge but must be included in the gravitational force calculation. The final answer for the magnitude of the electrostatic force is determined to be 6.55 x 10^-7.
psruler
Can someone help me with this problem:

Consider a simplified model of the singly-ionized helium atom, He+: 2 protons plus 2 neutrons in the nucleus, "orbited" by one electron at a constant distance of 2.65 x 10^-11m.

a. What is the magnitude of the attractive electrostatic force between the nucleus and electron?

b. What is the magnitude of the attractive gravitational force between the same two particles?

I know I have to use Coloumbs Law, but I'm wondering if I have to just plug in numbers. How do I start? How do I get Q1 and Q2?

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
I'll give you a clue: the charge on an electon is e = -1.6 x 10 ^-19 C.

I'll leave you to fogure out what this means for your 2 protons.

What do I do with the 2 neutrons?

I know Q1 = Q2 = -1.6 x 10 ^-19 C.

So it will look like this:

F = ((8.988 x 10^9)(1.6 x 10^-19)^2)/2.65 x 10^-11m

Is the answer for the above equation solve question 'a'?

Neutrons have no charge so you don't include them in the EM force, but they have mass so you will have to include them for the gravitational force.0

And EM foce is an INVERSE SQUARE law, so you should divide over distance squared.

In addition, realize that the helium nucleus has two protons.

So is the answer to question a, 3.28 x 10^-7?

No. If you look above we said 2 protons, and each proton will have a charge of 1.6x10-19

Oh, so I have to multiply it by 2? 1.6x10-19 x 2?
and the answer is for q1 and q2?

No just for q1. The force is attractive between 2 protons (q1) in the nucleus and one electron (q2) in orbit. So use Coulombs law for these values.

Sorry for asking too many questions,

so the answer to part 'a' is 6.55 x 10^-7?

Thats what I get

Related to How Do You Calculate Electrostatic and Gravitational Forces in a Helium Ion?

What is electrostatic force?

Electrostatic force is a fundamental force of nature that describes the attraction or repulsion between two charged objects. It is responsible for many everyday phenomena, such as static electricity and lightning.

How is electrostatic force calculated?

The magnitude of electrostatic force between two charged objects is calculated using Coulomb's law, which states that the force is directly proportional to the product of the charges and inversely proportional to the square of the distance between them.

What factors affect the strength of electrostatic force?

The strength of electrostatic force is affected by the magnitude of the charges on the objects and the distance between them. The force increases as the charges increase and decreases as the distance between the objects increases.

What are some real-life applications of electrostatic force?

Electrostatic force has many practical applications, such as in air purifiers, printers, and photocopiers. It is also used in industrial processes, such as electrostatic painting and electrostatic separation of materials.

How does electrostatic force differ from other fundamental forces?

Electrostatic force is similar to gravity, in that it is a long-range force that acts between objects without direct contact. However, electrostatic force can be attractive or repulsive, while gravity is always attractive. Additionally, electrostatic force is much stronger than gravity at the atomic level.