How Do You Calculate Mass M1 in a Frictionless Incline Problem?

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving two masses connected by a pulley and incline with no friction. Using Newton's second law, the forces on each mass are determined and equations are set up to solve for the mass of m1. After rearranging and plugging in values, the correct answer is found with the help of Mentz114's equations. The discussion also touches on the importance of considering gravity and the coordinate system when drawing free body diagrams.
NoobeAtPhysics

Homework Statement

M1 and M2 are two masses connected as shown. The pulley and the incline are frictionless. Find the mass M1, given that M2 (4.00 kg) accelerates downwards at 3.53 m/s2, and that θ = 32.0°.

dYVQnGg.gif

Homework Equations

F = m*a
Fk = u*N

The Attempt at a Solution

Forces on m1

Fy = T - N - m1*g*sin(theta) = m1*a
Fx = N - m1*g*cos(theta) = 0

Forces on m2

Fy = m2*g*T = m2*a

Using equations above,

T = m2(g-a)
N = m1*g*cos(theta)

m2*(g-a) - m1*g*cos(theta)-m1*g*sin(theta) = m1*a

rearranging for m1

m1 =[m2*(g-a)]/[a+g(sin(theta) + cos(theta))]

Plugging in the correct values, I get 1.47kg for my answer which is... wrong :(

Thank you,
Noobe

Physics news on Phys.org
I get

T - sin(θ)m1 g = m1 a
T - m2 g = -m2 a

Two equation with 2 unknowns. Does that help ?

Last edited:
Likes 1 person
Thank you Mentz that is very helpful! I get the right answer when I use your equations. Thank you again. =]Question:

T - m2 g = -m2 a

Why is it -m2 a and not just m2 a?

NoobeAtPhysics said:
Thank you Mentz that is very helpful! I get the right answer when I use your equations. Thank you again. =]Question:

T - m2 g = -m2 a

Why is it -m2 a and not just m2 a?

Think about Newton's second law: F=ma
What is the acceleration of m1? What is the acceleration of m2?
consider gravity and the coordinate system Mentz114 has chosen when drawing free body diagrams for both blocks. That should answer your question.

Likes 1 person
Thank you very much guys, I understand it now! :), Physics is fun

Related to How Do You Calculate Mass M1 in a Frictionless Incline Problem?

1. What is the Frictionless Incline Problem?

The Frictionless Incline Problem is a physics problem that involves an object sliding down an inclined plane with no friction. This means that there is no force resisting the motion of the object, so it will continue to accelerate down the incline.

2. How is the Frictionless Incline Problem solved?

The Frictionless Incline Problem can be solved using Newton's Second Law of Motion, which states that the net force on an object is equal to its mass times its acceleration. In this case, the net force is the component of the object's weight that is parallel to the incline. By using trigonometric functions, the acceleration of the object can be calculated.

3. What factors affect the motion of an object on a frictionless incline?

The motion of an object on a frictionless incline is affected by the angle of the incline, the mass of the object, and the force of gravity. The steeper the incline, the more quickly the object will accelerate. Heavier objects will also accelerate more quickly, as they have more mass to be affected by the force of gravity.

4. Is the Frictionless Incline Problem a realistic scenario?

No, the Frictionless Incline Problem is not a realistic scenario. In real life, there is always some amount of friction present, which would slow down the object's motion. However, the problem is a useful tool for understanding the principles of physics and can be applied to more complex scenarios with friction present.

5. What are some real-life applications of the Frictionless Incline Problem?

The Frictionless Incline Problem can be applied to various real-life situations, such as calculating the speed of a car on a hilly road or the trajectory of a projectile launched at an angle. It can also be used in engineering to design structures that can withstand the force of gravity on inclined surfaces.