How Do You Calculate Moment of Inertia for CD and FE in a Multi-Rod System?

In summary: This will give the MoI of the system with respect to that axis.In summary, the conversation discusses finding the moment of inertia of a system composed of five identical rigid rods connected together and rotating about an axis passing through AB. The MOI of BC and DE were found using the parallel axis theorem, but there is confusion on how to find the MOI of CD and FE. It is suggested to treat the rods as point masses to calculate their MoI with respect to the axis of rotation.
PhyAmateur
If we have five identical rigid rods, each of length l and mass m, are connected together to form the system shown in the figure. The system may rotate about an axis passing through AB.

The question is to find the moment of inertia of the system with respect to axis AB.

I managed to find the MOI of BC and DE using parallel axis theorem. My question is more about CD and FE. How to find the MOI wrt CD and FE?

Attachments

• PHYSCIS.png
    PHYSCIS.png
    684 bytes · Views: 446
Physics news on Phys.org
I'm not sure if there's a way to do this other than starting from the integral definition of a moment of inertia. ##I=\int_a^b r^2dm## So you need to find a relation between the density and radius for the rods.

PhyAmateur said:
If we have five identical rigid rods, each of length l and mass m, are connected together to form the system shown in the figure. The system may rotate about an axis passing through AB.

The question is to find the moment of inertia of the system with respect to axis AB.

I managed to find the MOI of BC and DE using parallel axis theorem. My question is more about CD and FE. How to find the MOI wrt CD and FE?

CD and EF are parallel to the axis of rotation. Doesn't that make their MoI quite straightforward to calculate?

Indeed. Treat the rods as point masses at their respective distances from the axis AB.

Related to How Do You Calculate Moment of Inertia for CD and FE in a Multi-Rod System?

What is moment of inertia?

Moment of inertia is a measure of an object's resistance to rotational motion. It is a property that depends on an object's mass and distribution of mass around its axis of rotation.

How is moment of inertia calculated?

The moment of inertia is calculated by multiplying the mass of an object by the square of its distance from the axis of rotation. The exact calculation varies depending on the shape of the object.

What factors affect the moment of inertia?

The moment of inertia is affected by the mass of an object and how that mass is distributed around its axis of rotation. Objects with more mass or mass further from the axis of rotation have a higher moment of inertia.

Why is moment of inertia important?

Moment of inertia is important because it helps predict how an object will respond to rotational motion. It is used in many areas of science and engineering, including the design of vehicles, machinery, and sports equipment.

How can moment of inertia be changed?

Moment of inertia can be changed by altering the mass or distribution of mass of an object. This can be done by adding or removing material or changing the shape of the object. The moment of inertia can also be changed by changing the axis of rotation.