How Do You Calculate Stress and Strain in a Stretched Copper Wire?

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the cross-section, strain, stress, and necessary force for a wire made of copper with a diameter of 1.0mm and length of 2.3m, and a Young's modulus of 1.1 x 10^11. The steps to find the solutions are outlined, including using the formula for cross-section, calculating strain, using Young's modulus to find stress, and using stress to calculate force.
DizzyDoo
The last question on my homework (always the hardest).

Homework Statement

A wire of diameter 1.0mm and length 2.3m is made of copper. Young modulus is 1.1 x 10^11. Find:
a) The cross-section of the wire in m²
b) The strain if the wire is stretched by 0.85mm
c) The stress
d) The force necessary to cause the stress

Homework Equations

(Pie)r²
strain = extension/original length
stress = Force/area

The Attempt at a Solution

Here is my attempt, I get stuck at C, but please check what I've done so far.

A) if (pie)r² then stick that into the calculator, and I get 7.8 x 10 ^7
B) Extension/Original length= 0.85/2.3 = 0.37
c) Hmm, they ask for stress but there is no force given, so how do I work that out?
d) Now they ask the force needed to cause the stress, but I need that to work out the stress. Very confusing

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
DizzyDoo said:
The last question on my homework (always the hardest).

Homework Statement

A wire of diameter 1.0mm and length 2.3m is made of copper. Young modulus is 1.1 x 10^11. Find:
a) The cross-section of the wire in m²
b) The strain if the wire is stretched by 0.85mm
c) The stress
d) The force necessary to cause the stress

Homework Equations

(Pie)r²
strain = extension/original length
stress = Force/area

The Attempt at a Solution

Here is my attempt, I get stuck at C, but please check what I've done so far.

A) if (pie)r² then stick that into the calculator, and I get 7.8 x 10 ^7 you mean 7.8 x 10^-7 m^2
B) Extension/Original length= 0.85/2.3 = 0.37 Right equation, but again your units are lacking and decimal point is off
C) Hmm, they ask for stress but there is no force given, so how do I work that out? You have Young's modulus and you have calculated the strain...what is the formula that relates stess and strain?
d) Now they ask the force needed to cause the stress, but I need that to work out the stress. Very confusing once you have the stress, the force should be easy to calculate

Any help is greatly appreciated.
see above in red .

As a scientist, it is important to remember that stress and strain are important properties of materials that can help us understand how they behave under external forces. In this case, we are dealing with a wire made of copper, which has a Young's modulus of 1.1 x 10^11. Let's break down the questions one by one to better understand how to approach them.

a) The cross-section of the wire can be calculated using the formula (π)r², where r is the radius of the wire. In this case, r = 0.5mm or 0.0005m. Plugging this into the formula, we get a cross-section of 7.85 x 10^-7 m².

b) Strain is defined as the change in length divided by the original length. In this case, the extension is given as 0.85mm or 0.00085m and the original length is 2.3m. Plugging these values into the formula, we get a strain of 0.00037.

c) Stress is defined as the force applied per unit area. In this case, we do not have the force given, but we can calculate it using the formula stress = Young's modulus x strain. Plugging in the values, we get a stress of 4.07 x 10^7 Pa.

d) Finally, to calculate the force necessary to cause this stress, we can use the formula stress = force/area. Rearranging, we get force = stress x area. Plugging in the values, we get a force of 3.18 x 10^1 N.

I hope this helps clarify the questions and how to approach them. Remember, as a scientist, it is important to always double check your calculations and units to ensure accuracy in your results. Keep up the good work!

Related to How Do You Calculate Stress and Strain in a Stretched Copper Wire?

1. What is the difference between stress and strain?

Stress is the force applied to a material, while strain is the resulting deformation of the material in response to that force. In other words, stress is the cause and strain is the effect.

2. How are stress and strain related?

Stress and strain are directly proportional to each other, meaning that as stress increases, so does strain. This relationship is known as Hooke's Law and is valid within a material's elastic limit.

3. What is the difference between elastic and plastic deformation?

Elastic deformation is temporary and reversible, meaning that the material will return to its original shape once the stress is removed. Plastic deformation, on the other hand, is permanent and irreversible, causing a permanent change in the material's shape.

4. How do different materials respond to stress and strain?

Different materials have different properties and therefore respond differently to stress and strain. Some materials, such as metals, have a high strength and can withstand large amounts of stress before deforming. Others, like rubber, are more flexible and can stretch without breaking.

5. How does temperature affect stress and strain in materials?

Temperature can greatly impact the behavior of materials under stress. For some materials, like metals, high temperatures can cause them to become more malleable and deform more easily. For others, like polymers, high temperatures can cause them to become more brittle and prone to failure.