How Do You Calculate Temperature at a Depth Based on Surface Conduction Rates?

In summary, the surface thermal conductivity is 2.5 W/mK and the average rate at which energy is conducted outward through the ground surface in North America is 54 mW/m^2. Assuming a surface temperature of 10 C, find the temperature at a depth of 35 km. Ignore the heat generated by the presence of radioactive elements.
mm2424

Homework Statement

The average rate at which energy is conducted outward through the ground surface in North America is 54 mW/m^2, and the average thermal conductivity of the near-surface rocks is 2.5 W/mK. Assuming a surface temperature of 10 C, find the temperature at a depth of 35 km. Ignore the heat generated by the presence of radioactive elements.

Homework Equations

P = kA(Th-Tc)/L

where P is the conduction rate
k = thermal conductivity
A = face area
L = thickness
Th = temperature of hot reservoir
Tc = temperature of cold reservoir

The Attempt at a Solution

I can plug all values into the equation for conduction rate except for A. Is there something I'm missing in terms of the surface area for this problem? In the answers I've seen online, people seem to assume A is 1m^2. However, I can't figure out why that assumption is made. (The answer seems to be 766 C, which is found using A=1m^2).

Thanks for your help!

Physics news on Phys.org
You could apply the formula to any area you like.
But if you are going to use the 54 mW/m^2 you must express A in m^2 as well.
In the old days we used to put in the units for all quantities and check to make sure they worked out the same on both sides of a formula. That took too much time, but when in doubt, it is still worth doing occasionally.

But if we had arbitrarily chosen an A of 2 m^2, wouldn't the answer to this question be different? The only quantity that would change in the equation would be A, no? I'm confused because the problem doesn't seem to tell you how large of an area we're considering, whereas the solution seems to automatically use a value of 1 m^2.

Oops, I gave you a dumb answer!
When you work out the units on the right side, taking k to be in W/mK, you get Watts.
That formula is giving you the power, not the power per square meter as the wording of the question implies. It is only natural that if you double the area, you get double the power flowing through.

Mix up in formulas? The formula is given as ΔQ/ΔT = kA*ΔT here:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thermal_conductivity#Equations

I would like to point out that the equation for conduction rate, P = kA(Th-Tc)/L, assumes a uniform and constant surface temperature and thermal conductivity. However, in reality, the surface temperature may vary and the thermal conductivity of rocks can also vary depending on their composition. Therefore, the assumption of A=1m^2 may not always be accurate and could lead to errors in the calculated temperature at a depth of 35 km. To accurately solve this problem, it would be necessary to obtain more specific and accurate data on the surface temperature and thermal conductivity of the rocks in the area. Additionally, the presence of radioactive elements can also affect the temperature at a depth of 35 km, so it may not be appropriate to ignore their heat generation in this calculation. More research and data collection would be needed to accurately solve this conduction rate problem.

1. What is a conduction rate problem?

A conduction rate problem refers to a scenario where heat is being transferred through a material or substance at a certain rate, and the goal is to determine the specific rate of heat conduction.

2. How is the rate of conduction calculated?

The rate of conduction can be calculated using the equation Q = kA (Th - Tc)/d, where Q is the rate of heat transfer, k is the material's thermal conductivity, A is the surface area, Th and Tc are the hot and cold temperatures, and d is the thickness of the material.

3. What factors affect the conduction rate?

Several factors can affect the conduction rate, such as the type of material, its thickness, the temperature difference between the two ends, and the surface area of the material.

4. How can conduction rate be increased?

The conduction rate can be increased by increasing the temperature difference between the two ends of the material, increasing the surface area, and using materials with higher thermal conductivity.

5. How is conduction rate different from convection and radiation?

Conduction is the transfer of heat through a material, while convection is the transfer of heat through a fluid or gas, and radiation is the transfer of heat through electromagnetic waves. Conduction requires direct contact between the two objects, while convection and radiation can occur without direct contact.