How Do You Calculate Tension in a Rope Pulling a Box with Friction and an Angle?

In summary, the problem involves pulling a 39kg box on a level floor with a rope at a 21 degree angle to the horizontal. The coefficient of kinetic friction between the box and floor is 0.23. The magnitude of the tension in the rope needed to keep the box moving at a constant velocity is being calculated using the equation fnet=ma and through setting up equations and finding a variable present in each equation. The final equation for finding the tension is correct except for a wrong sign. It is recommended to work algebraically until the final step for better results.
Balsam
image.jpeg
1. Homework Statement

You are pulling a 39kg box on a level floor by a rope attached to the box. The rope makes an angle of 21 degrees with the horizontal. The coefficient of kinetic frictions between the box and the floor is 0.23. Calculate the magnitude of the tension in the rope needed to keep the box moving at a constant velocity?

Homework Equations

fnet=ma

The Attempt at a Solution

I have pictures of my attempted solution attached. I stopped solving it because I realized that my Ft variables would cancel out and I would have nothing to solve for. Also, what I did makes no sense but I was trying to solve it like you solve other forces problems where you find set up your equations and find a variable present in each equation and set those equations equal to each other. I don't think that works here. My steps are numbered. The attached picture is the first one and the picture at the top is the second one.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    51.1 KB · Views: 651
Physics news on Phys.org
I agree with your starting equation for the vertical sum of forces but I think you have a sine error in the horizontal equation. You appear to have friction acting in the same direction as the tension force (eg both positive).

CWatters said:
I agree with your starting equation for the vertical sum of forces but I think you have a sine error in the horizontal equation. You appear to have friction acting in the same direction as the tension force (eg both positive).
Is there another way to solve this problem?

I think you are on the right track. I don't think FT will cancel.

PS: it's midnight where I live so I'm off to bed.

+1

Sorry yes I meant sign not sine.

1. What is a pulling box forces problem?

A pulling box forces problem is a type of physics problem that involves calculating the forces acting on an object that is being pulled or dragged. These forces can include tension, friction, and applied forces.

2. How do you approach a pulling box forces problem?

The first step is to draw a free body diagram, which shows all of the forces acting on the object. Then, use Newton's laws of motion and the equations for calculating forces to solve for the unknown variables.

3. Can you give an example of a pulling box forces problem?

Sure, an example would be a person pulling a box across the floor with a rope. The pulling force would be the tension in the rope, and the opposing force would be the friction between the box and the floor.

4. How does the angle of the pulling force affect the problem?

The angle of the pulling force can affect the problem by changing the components of the force in different directions. In this case, the pulling force would need to be resolved into its horizontal and vertical components for calculation.

5. What are some common mistakes to avoid when solving a pulling box forces problem?

Some common mistakes to avoid include forgetting to include all of the forces acting on the object, using the incorrect equation for calculating forces, and not properly resolving the forces into their components when needed.