How Do You Calculate the Amplitude of Oscillation for a Spring-Mass System?

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving a 200 g ball attached to a spring with a spring constant of 2.50 N/m oscillating horizontally on a frictionless table. The ball's velocity is given as 18.0 cm/s when x = -5.00 cm and the question asks for the amplitude of oscillation. The homework equations provided are for calculating the angular frequency and velocity of the ball at different positions. The attempts at solving the problem involve finding the angular frequency and amplitude, and using the equation for velocity at a given position. However, the answers obtained are not correct and the person is unsure of what they are doing wrong. They mention being taught about conservation of energy and potential energy of a spring,
kristibella

Homework Statement

A 200 g ball attached to a spring with spring constant
2.50 N/m oscillates horizontally on a frictionless table. Its velocity is 18.0 cm/s when x = -5.00 cm.
A. What is the amplitude of oscillation?

B. What is the speed of the ball when x = 3.00 cm?

Homework Equations

A. [tex]\omega[/tex] = sqrt k/m = sqrt 2.50/.200
v(t) = A*[tex]\omega[/tex]*sin([tex]\omega[/tex]t)
t = 0
v(t) = A[tex]\omega[/tex]

B. Vx2 = [tex]\omega[/tex]2(A2 - x2)

The Attempt at a Solution

I've tried several times to get a solution and I have never gotten the same answer twice...
A. [tex]\omega[/tex] = 3.54
A = 5.09 cm

B. When x = 3.00 cm, V = 14. 56 cm.

Neither of these answers are correct and I'm not sure what I am doing wrong. I am doing everything as explained to me in class. I'm so confused...

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Have you been taught about conservation of energy, and the potential energy of a spring?

Also, is there supposed to be a question in part A? I only see a question in B.

The amplitude of oscillation is the maximum displacement of the object from its equilibrium position. In this case, the ball is attached to a spring with a spring constant of 2.50 N/m and a mass of 200 g. We can use the equation \omega = sqrt(k/m) to calculate the angular frequency of the oscillation, which is equal to 3.54 rad/s.

To find the amplitude, we can use the equation v(t) = A*\omega*sin(\omegat), where v(t) is the velocity at time t, A is the amplitude, and \omega is the angular frequency. Since the velocity is given as 18.0 cm/s at x = -5.00 cm, we can substitute these values into the equation and solve for A.

18.0 cm/s = A*3.54 rad/s*sin(0)
A = 5.09 cm

Therefore, the amplitude of oscillation is 5.09 cm.

For part B, we can use the equation Vx2 = \omega2(A2 - x2) to find the velocity at x = 3.00 cm. We already know the value of \omega, so we can substitute it into the equation along with the amplitude we calculated in part A.

Vx2 = (3.54 rad/s)2(5.09 cm2 - (3.00 cm)2)
Vx = 14.00 cm/s

Therefore, the speed of the ball when x = 3.00 cm is 14.00 cm/s. It is important to remember to use consistent units throughout the calculations. In this case, we converted the given velocity from cm/s to rad/s in order to use the equation.

Related to How Do You Calculate the Amplitude of Oscillation for a Spring-Mass System?

1. What is the definition of amplitude of oscillation?

The amplitude of oscillation is the maximum displacement from the equilibrium position of an oscillating object or system. It is a measure of the strength or intensity of the oscillations.

2. How is amplitude of oscillation related to the frequency of oscillation?

The amplitude of oscillation and frequency of oscillation are inversely proportional. This means that as the frequency increases, the amplitude decreases, and vice versa. This relationship is known as the amplitude-frequency relationship.

3. What factors affect the amplitude of oscillation?

The amplitude of oscillation can be affected by various factors including the initial energy of the system, the mass and stiffness of the object, and external forces such as friction and air resistance.

4. How is amplitude of oscillation measured?

The amplitude of oscillation is typically measured using a ruler or measuring tape. The distance between the equilibrium position and the highest point of the oscillation is the amplitude. It can also be measured using specialized instruments such as a seismometer for earthquake oscillations.

5. Can the amplitude of oscillation change over time?

Yes, the amplitude of oscillation can change over time due to various factors such as damping, which is a decrease in the amplitude caused by energy dissipation, or resonance, which is an increase in the amplitude due to a periodic driving force.