How Do You Calculate the Angular Position of a Point on a Rotating Wheel?

In summary, Angular rotation is the circular or curved movement of an object around a fixed point, measured in degrees or radians and affected by a force or torque. It is calculated using the formula θ = s/r, and is different from linear rotation which involves straight line movement. Angular rotation has many applications in science and technology, including machine design, planetary studies, and analyzing rotational motion in sports and games. It is also used in fields like robotics, physics, and engineering to study and predict the behavior of rotating objects.
bcd201115

Homework Statement

a wheel 2m in diameter lies in a vertical plane and rotates about its central axis with a constant angular acceleration of 4rad/s^2. The wheel starts at t=0 and the radius vector of a certain point P on the rim makes an angle of 57.3° with the horizontal at this time. At t=2s find d.) the angular position for point P.

Homework Equations

The answer for d.) is 9radians but can someone help me figure out how to get this. Also if you could help show me how to get the direction of the total acceleration.

The Attempt at a Solution

I already found that angular speed, ω=8rad/s, tangential speed v=8m/s, and total acceleration is 64.12m/s^2

Physics news on Phys.org
bcd201115 said:

Homework Statement

a wheel 2m in diameter lies in a vertical plane and rotates about its central axis with a constant angular acceleration of 4rad/s^2. The wheel starts at t=0 and the radius vector of a certain point P on the rim makes an angle of 57.3° with the horizontal at this time. At t=2s find d.) the angular position for point P.

Homework Equations

The answer for d.) is 9radians but can someone help me figure out how to get this.
All of your kinematics equations for uniform (linear) acceleration have corresponding versions for uniform angular acceleration. Just replace [itex] s [/itex] with [itex] \theta [/itex], [itex] v [/itex] with [itex] \omega [/itex], and [itex] a [/itex] with [itex] \alpha [/itex].

For example one of your linear kinematics equations is:

[tex] s = s_0 + v_0t + \frac{1}{2}at^2. [/tex]

The corresponding angular version is simply

[tex] \theta = \theta_0 + \omega_0t + \frac{1}{2}\alpha t^2. [/tex]

Also if you could help show me how to get the direction of the total acceleration.
Just use trigonometry. The centripetal part of the linear acceleration is in the radial direction. The tangential part in the tangential direction. These directions are perpendicular to one another. So the inverse tangent applies. (Draw the acceleration vectors on a piece of paper. Each of these directions are components of the resulting linear acceleration vector, and they form a triangle.)

The Attempt at a Solution

I already found that angular speed, ω=8rad/s,
Well, the wheel is accelerating (rotationally), so it doesn't have a constant angular speed. But yes, 8 rad/sec is the final angular speed at t = 2 sec.
tangential speed v=8m/s,
Okay, that's the final tangential (linear) speed at t = 2 sec.
and total acceleration is 64.12m/s^2
That looks right to me, for the magnitude. :approve:

in the equation θfiit+(1/2)αt2 what would i put for θf and θi?

bcd201115 said:
in the equation θfiit+(1/2)αt2 what would i put for θf and θi?
θf is what you're trying to find out: the angular position for point P, at time t = 2 sec.

θi is the initial angular position (the angular position, in radians, at time t = 0). (Hint: You'll have to convert 57.3o to radians.)

I would approach this problem by first clarifying the given information and understanding the concepts involved. The problem states that a wheel with a diameter of 2m is rotating about its central axis with a constant angular acceleration of 4rad/s^2. This means that the angular velocity (ω) of the wheel is increasing at a rate of 4rad/s every second. We also know that the wheel starts at t=0, and at this time, the radius vector of point P on the rim makes an angle of 57.3° with the horizontal.

To find the angular position (θ) of point P at t=2s, we can use the equation θ=θ0+ω0t+1/2αt^2, where θ0 is the initial angular position, ω0 is the initial angular velocity, α is the angular acceleration, and t is the time. Since we are given the initial angle (57.3°), we can convert it to radians (57.3°=π/180 radians). Plugging in the values, we get θ=π/180+8(2)+1/2(4)(2^2)=π/180+16+8=16.056 radians. This is the angular position of point P at t=2s.

To determine the direction of the total acceleration, we can use the equation a=αr, where a is the total acceleration, α is the angular acceleration, and r is the radius of the wheel (1m in this case, since the diameter is 2m). Plugging in the values, we get a=4(1)=4m/s^2. Since the total acceleration is in the same direction as the angular acceleration, the direction of the total acceleration is also counterclockwise.

In conclusion, the angular position of point P at t=2s is 16.056 radians and the direction of the total acceleration is counterclockwise.

Related to How Do You Calculate the Angular Position of a Point on a Rotating Wheel?

What is Angular Rotation?

Angular rotation refers to the movement of an object around a fixed point, or axis, in a circular or curved path. It is measured in degrees or radians and can be either positive or negative depending on the direction of the rotation.

What causes Angular Rotation?

Angular rotation is caused by a force or torque acting on an object. This force creates a moment of inertia, or resistance to rotation, which determines how quickly or slowly an object rotates.

How is Angular Rotation calculated?

Angular rotation can be calculated using the formula θ = s/r, where θ is the angular rotation in radians, s is the arc length traveled by the object, and r is the radius of the circle or curved path.

What is the difference between Angular Rotation and Linear Rotation?

Angular rotation refers to the movement of an object around a fixed point, while linear rotation refers to the movement of an object in a straight line. Angular rotation involves a circular or curved path, while linear rotation involves a linear path.

How is Angular Rotation used in science and technology?

Angular rotation is used in many scientific and technological applications, such as in the design of machines and vehicles, the study of planetary movements, and the analysis of rotational motion in sports and games. It is also used in fields like robotics, physics, and engineering to understand and predict the behavior of rotating objects.