How Do You Calculate the Average Acceleration of a Tennis Ball from a Drop Test?

• Thread starter demonelite123
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Ball Tennis
In summary: So the average acceleration is a = (vf - vi)/t= 2.6/0.012= 216.67 m/s^2In summary, the average acceleration of the tennis ball during contact with the floor is 216.67 m/s^2 and it is upwards. The velocity with which the ball hits the floor is 8.86 m/s and the initial velocity after rebound is -6.26 m/s. However, the book's answer for the average acceleration is 1260 m/s^2, which may be due to a difference in assumptions or calculations.
demonelite123
To test the quality of a tennis ball, you drop it onto the floor from a height of 4.00m. It rebounds to a height of 2.00m. If the ball is in contact with the floor for 12.0ms,
a) what is the magnitude of its average acceleration during that contact
and
b) is the average acceleration up or down?

i used the equation x-x0 = v0t + 1/2 at^2. to find the time when the tennis ball just touches the ground, i did 4 = 4.9t^2, assuming down in positive and up is negative. so t = .904. then i used the equation v = v0 + at to find the velocity when the ball just touches the ground. i did v = (9.8)(.904) = 8.85m/s. the ball was in contact with the floor for 12.0ms so the final time is .904 + .012 = .916. so i have my final and initial times and i get .012ms when i subtract them. the only thing I'm missing to find the average acceleration is the final velocity. i tried using v = v0 +at again, v = 8.85 + (9.8)(.916) = 17.826m/s. so i get that the average acceleration is 748.06 upwards. but the answer in my book says 1260. how did they get that answer?

Physics news on Phys.org
Using the formula
v1^2 = vo^2 + 2g*h, find the velocity with which the ball hits the floor.
Similarly to reach a height of 2 m, what should be the initial velocity after rebound? The velocity of rebound cannot be greater than the velocity with which ball hits the floor.
It the first one is v1 and the other one is v2, then the average acceleration is ratio of change in velocity to the time. While finding the change in velocity, note down the directions of the velocities.

Last edited:
rl.bhat said:
Using the formula
v1^2 = vo^2 + 2g*h, find the velocity with which the ball hits the floor.
Similarly to reach a height of 2 m, what should be the initial velocity after rebound? The velocity of rebound cannot be greater than the velocity with which ball hits the floor.
It the first one is v1 and the other one is v2, then the average acceleration is ratio of change in velocity to the time. While finding the change in velocity, note down the directions of the velocities.

ok so for the velocity the ball hits the ground, i get v^2 = (2)(-9.8)(-4) assuming that up is positive and down is negative so v when the ball hits the ground is 8.86m/s. now to find the initial velocity when its rebounds, i did 0 = v0^2 + (2)(-9.8)(2) because when the ball reaches 2m, that is the maximum height of that path to the velocity at 2m = 0. so i solved and i got the initial velocity when it rebounds is 6.26m/s. however when i subtract the 2 and divide by .012 seconds, i get only 216m/s^2 as opposed to what the book got which was 1260m/s^2. how is the acceleration that big?

8.86 m/s and 6.26 m/s are in the opposite direction. So the change in the velocity is
vf - (-vi)

Related to How Do You Calculate the Average Acceleration of a Tennis Ball from a Drop Test?

1. What factors affect the speed of a tennis ball when dropped?

The speed of a tennis ball when dropped is affected by gravity, air resistance, and the height from which it is dropped. The force of gravity pulls the ball towards the ground, while air resistance slows it down. The higher the ball is dropped from, the more time it has to accelerate and reach a higher speed.

2. How does the surface on which a tennis ball is dropped affect its bounce?

The type of surface on which a tennis ball is dropped can greatly affect its bounce. A harder surface, such as concrete, will cause the ball to bounce higher due to the increased force of the impact. A softer surface, like grass, will absorb more of the energy, resulting in a lower bounce.

3. Why does a tennis ball sometimes bounce higher or lower than expected when dropped?

The bounce of a tennis ball can be affected by factors such as air pressure, temperature, and the condition of the ball. A ball with less air pressure may not bounce as high, and a colder temperature can make the ball less bouncy. Similarly, a worn or damaged ball may also have a different bounce than a new one.

4. Does the weight of a tennis ball affect its drop or bounce?

The weight of a tennis ball does not significantly affect its drop or bounce. This is because the force of gravity acts equally on all objects of different weights, causing them to accelerate at the same rate. However, a heavier ball may have a slightly higher bounce due to the increased force of the impact.

5. Can the height from which a tennis ball is dropped affect its trajectory?

Yes, the height from which a tennis ball is dropped can affect its trajectory. When dropped from a higher height, the ball has more time to accelerate and reach a higher speed, resulting in a longer and flatter trajectory. When dropped from a lower height, the ball will have a shorter and steeper trajectory.