Average Acceleration Calculation for Ball Bouncing off a Tennis Racket

In summary: I'm assuming it's B. Now I'm not sure if that's what the problem want me to answer.Now that I really think about it... I see the ball traveling FROM the wall or whatever is projecting it to the racket and back in the other direction... but the problem doesn't state which is the negative... so I'm assuming it's B. Now I'm not sure if that's what the problem want me to answer.
DracoMalfoy

Homework Statement

A ball is traveling at 3m/s then bounces off of a tennis racket and returns at 2m/s. If the ball is in contact with the racket for 12ms, what is the average acceleration?

Homework Equations

average acceleration and conversion

a=Vf-Vi/Tf-Ti
1s= 1000ms

The Attempt at a Solution

Before I started, I converted 12ms to s and got 0.012s. I know the equation for avg acceleration. but I feel like I'm missing a step. I plug in the numbers and get an unrealistic solution. The answer comes out negative. I feel like I am missing something. Or I am making it too complicated for myself.

Physics news on Phys.org
Please show your actual steps. Dont just say ”I put in the numbers and think I got it wrong”. How on Earth are we to see if you got it wrong or not if you don't show us what you did?

DracoMalfoy said:

Homework Statement

A ball is traveling at 3m/s then bounces off of a tennis racket and returns at 2m/s. If the ball is in contact with the racket for 12ms, what is the average acceleration?

Homework Equations

average acceleration and conversion

a=Vf-Vi/Tf-Ti
1s= 1000ms

The Attempt at a Solution

Before I started, I converted 12ms to s and got 0.012s. I know the equation for avg acceleration. but I feel like I'm missing a step. I plug in the numbers and get an unrealistic solution. The answer comes out negative. I feel like I am missing something. Or I am making it too complicated for myself.
Everything you have showed us so far looks correct. A negative acceleration is not necessarily wrong. The magnitude of the acceleration should be pretty large to cause that change in velocity in such a short time. Why don't you show us your calculations so we can see if they are correct?

Orodruin said:
Please show your actual steps. Dont just say ”I put in the numbers and think I got it wrong”. How on Earth are we to see if you got it wrong or not if you don't show us what you did?

I subtracted 2m/s from 3m/s and then divided by the time 0.012s.

tnich said:
Everything you have showed us so far looks correct. A negative acceleration is not necessarily wrong. The magnitude of the acceleration should be pretty large to cause that change in velocity in such a short time. Why don't you show us your calculations so we can see if they are correct?

I subtracted 2m/s from 3m/s and then divided by the time 0.012s and got -83.3m/s^2 :olduhh:

DracoMalfoy said:
I subtracted 2m/s from 3m/s and then divided by the time 0.012s and got -83.3m/s^2 :olduhh:
Velocity has direction. The change in speed 1m/s, but what is the change in velocity?

DracoMalfoy said:
You need to think about which direction the ball is traveling in before and after hitting it with the racket. Does the sign of the velocity change?

tnich said:
You need to think about which direction the ball is traveling in before and after hitting it with the racket. Does the sign of the velocity change?

I'm guessing that after it hits the racket it goes in the opposite direction so should 2m/s be negative?

DracoMalfoy said:
I'm guessing that after it hits the racket it goes in the opposite direction so should 2m/s be negative?
Yes.

haruspex said:
Yes.

Okay. I changed that. So i subtracted 3m/s from -2m/s and got -5. Then I divided by 0.012s and got -417m/s^2. but the question is multiple choice. The answers are:

A) 0.417m/s^2
B) -56m/s^2
C) 0m/s^2
D) 83.3m/s^2
E) 417m/s^2

DracoMalfoy said:
Okay. I changed that. So i subtracted 3m/s from -2m/s and got -5. Then I divided by 0.012s and got -417m/s^2. but the question is multiple choice. The answers are:

A) 0.417m/s^2
B) -56m/s^2
C) 0m/s^2
D) 83.3m/s^2
E) 417m/s^2
Which direction is positive in your answer? Which direction is positive in the multiple choice answers?

tnich said:
Which direction is positive in your answer? Which direction is positive in the multiple choice answers?

3m/s is the positive direction. 2m/s is the negative direction I'm assuming since its returning. B is the only negative answer though :H

Does the sign depend on which direction you define as negative and which you define as positive? Is it specified in the problem which is the positive direction?

Orodruin said:
Does the sign depend on which direction you define as negative and which you define as positive? Is it specified in the problem which is the positive direction?

Now that I really think about it... I see the ball traveling FROM the wall or whatever is projecting it to the racket and back in the other direction... but the problem doesn't state which is the negative direction.

DracoMalfoy said:
Now that I really think about it... I see the ball traveling FROM the wall or whatever is projecting it to the racket and back in the other direction... but the problem doesn't state which is the negative direction.
Then which answer can be correct knowing that the people who constructed the problem may have defined the positive direction in either direction?

Orodruin said:
Then which answer can be correct knowing that the people who constructed the problem may have defined the positive direction in either direction?

417m/s^2? E? I first thought D) 83.3m/s^2 but that was incorrect.

DracoMalfoy said:
417m/s^2? E?
Yes.

1. How is average acceleration calculated for a ball bouncing off a tennis racket?

The average acceleration of a ball bouncing off a tennis racket can be calculated by dividing the change in velocity by the change in time. This can be represented by the formula a = (Vf - Vi) / t, where a is the average acceleration, Vf is the final velocity, Vi is the initial velocity, and t is the time interval.

2. What is the initial velocity of the ball when calculating average acceleration?

The initial velocity of the ball refers to the velocity of the ball before it makes contact with the tennis racket. This can be measured by using a radar gun or by calculating the velocity using the distance and time the ball travels before reaching the racket.

3. Is the average acceleration the same for every bounce of the ball?

No, the average acceleration may vary for each bounce of the ball depending on factors such as the force applied by the racket, the angle of the racket, and the elasticity of the ball. However, the average acceleration can be calculated for each individual bounce using the same formula.

4. Can the average acceleration of a ball bouncing off a tennis racket be negative?

Yes, the average acceleration can be negative if the ball is bouncing downward, away from the racket. This indicates a decrease in velocity over time, which can occur if the ball loses energy due to friction or other external forces.

5. How can understanding average acceleration help improve tennis techniques?

Understanding average acceleration can help improve tennis techniques by allowing players to analyze the impact of their racket on the ball. By measuring the average acceleration, players can adjust their swing and aim to achieve a desired acceleration for optimal performance.