How Do You Calculate the Average Power of a Non-Periodic Signal?

In summary, the conversation is about calculating the average power of a non-periodic signal. The person asking the question is familiar with calculating power for a periodic signal, but is unsure about non-correlated Gaussian signals. Another person suggests checking out some textbooks for help. The last part of the conversation involves discussing the formula for calculating average power and clarifying the parameters involved. The question about the impedance of the circuit is left unanswered.
Apteronotus
Hi,

I'm wondering how do we calculate the average Power of a random (non-periodic) signal.

I know how to do it if the signal is periodic, but with a non-correlated Gaussian signal I'm a bit lost. Can anyone shed some light?

Thanks,

Physics news on Phys.org
It's not so simple...rather complex math...The power spectrum ( or spectral density) of a process is the Fourier transoform of its autocorrelation. I was barely able to remember enough to find that so I can't help much further.

One former text is Probability,Random Variables, and Stochastic Processes by Papoulis.
Another one that might help is Information,Transmission, Modulation and Noise, Schwartz.
These are old but may still be available in more current editions.

If you've measured the signal as a function of time x(t), you just need to evaluate

[tex]\frac{1}{T_2-T_1}\int_{T_1}^{T_2}|x(t)|^2\,dt[/tex]​

Is that not what you meant?

Is the impedance of the circuit constant? Can you average E^2/R?

Related to How Do You Calculate the Average Power of a Non-Periodic Signal?

1. What is a non-periodic signal?

A non-periodic signal is a type of signal that does not repeat itself at regular intervals. This means that there is no fixed pattern or cycle in the signal, and it can vary in amplitude, frequency, and duration.

2. How is the power of a non-periodic signal calculated?

The power of a non-periodic signal is calculated by finding the average power over a given time interval. This can be done by squaring the signal, finding the average, and then taking the square root.

3. What are some examples of non-periodic signals?

Some examples of non-periodic signals include speech signals, music signals, and environmental signals such as wind or ocean waves. These signals do not have a repeating pattern and can vary in their characteristics.

4. What is the importance of studying non-periodic signals?

Studying non-periodic signals is important in understanding and analyzing real-world phenomena that do not follow a predictable pattern. This can provide insight into complex systems, such as human speech and communication, and aid in the development of advanced signal processing techniques.

5. How does the power of a non-periodic signal affect its transmission and reception?

The power of a non-periodic signal is crucial in its transmission and reception. A higher power signal is more likely to be received accurately and with less interference, while a lower power signal may be more susceptible to noise and distortion. Therefore, understanding and controlling the power of non-periodic signals is important in communication and signal processing applications.