How Do You Calculate the Center of Mass of a Parabolic Plate?

In summary, we have a uniform plate of height 1.59 m cut into a parabolic section with the lower boundary defined by y=0.65x^2. The task is to find the distance from the rounded tip of the plate to the center of mass. After attempting to solve using calculus, the individual obtained an incorrect answer of Ycm=1.01 and then tried using the equation Ycm = 2/3 h from class, which also resulted in an incorrect answer of Ycm = 1.06. Another individual suggested using the general formula for center of mass, which involves integrating the mass distribution. They were able to obtain the correct answer of 3/5 h.
whereisccguys
A uniform plate of height 1.59 m is cut in the form of a parabolic section. The lower boundary of the plate is defined by: y=0.65x^2. Find the distance from the rounded tip of the plate to the center of mass.

i tried to do this usin calculus and got the answer Ycm=1.01 which was wrong and used the equation given to me in class Ycm = 2/3 h which is Ycm = 1.06... which is still wrong... can someone help me?

Attachments

• prob03_para2.bmp
    1.6 KB · Views: 520
Physics news on Phys.org
I am getting 3/5 h . I am sleepy. Let me know if this is correct.

yea it is how'd u get that?

Use the genaral formula for C.M.

[tex]\overline{x} \int dm =\int x dm[/tex] ------------ (1)

Choose an element of thickness dy at a distance y from the origin.

Take [tex] \rho[/tex] as the areal mass density,

Write expression for dm in terms of [tex] \rho[/tex] and y only.

Use equation (1) to find the [tex]\overline{x}[/tex]

Related to How Do You Calculate the Center of Mass of a Parabolic Plate?

1. What is the concept of center of mass for a plate?

The center of mass for a plate is the point at which the entire mass of the plate is evenly distributed. It is the point where all the mass of the plate can be considered to be concentrated, and the plate will balance perfectly on a pivot at that point.

2. How is the center of mass for a plate calculated?

The center of mass for a plate can be calculated by finding the average position of all the mass elements in the plate. This can be done by dividing the total mass of the plate by the total area of the plate.

3. Is the center of mass always located at the geometric center of a plate?

No, the center of mass for a plate is not always located at the geometric center. It depends on the distribution of the plate's mass. If the plate has an uneven distribution of mass, the center of mass will not be at the geometric center.

4. How does the shape of a plate affect its center of mass?

The shape of a plate can greatly affect its center of mass. For example, a plate with a larger surface area will have its center of mass closer to the edges, while a plate with a smaller surface area will have its center of mass closer to the center.

5. Why is the concept of center of mass important for plates?

The center of mass is important for plates because it helps in understanding the balance and stability of the plate. It is also used in engineering and design to determine the best placement of supports and to ensure that the plate is structurally sound.