How Do You Calculate the Hall Potential Difference in a Copper Strip?

In summary: But, I think I see what you are saying. The Hall Potential difference is defined as the potential difference across the width of a strip of conducting material, however the thickness is ultimately what is used in the formula for the Hall Potential Difference. This is because the Hall Potential Difference is dependent on the strength of the magnetic field, the number of charge carriers, the cross-sectional area of the strip and the velocity of the charge carriers. Since the cross-sectional area is defined as the width ({w}) multiplied by the thickness ({t}); and the formula for velocity is dependent on the current {I}, the number of charge carriers ({N}) and their charge ({e}); the thickness is ultimately what is used to represent the cross-sectional area in the formula
PFStudent

Homework Statement

12. A strip of copper [itex]{150{\textcolor[rgb]{1.00,1.00,1.00}{.}}{\mu}m}[/itex] thick and [itex]{4.5{\textcolor[rgb]{1.00,1.00,1.00}{.}}mm}[/itex] wide is placed in a uniform magnetic field [itex]{\vec{B}}[/itex] of magnitude [itex]{0.65{\textcolor[rgb]{1.00,1.00,1.00}{.}}T}[/itex], with [itex]{\vec{B}}[/itex] perpendicular to the strip. A current [itex]{i = 23{\textcolor[rgb]{1.00,1.00,1.00}{.}}A}[/itex] is then sent through the strip such that a Hall potential difference [itex]V[/itex] appears across the width of the strip.

Calculate [tex]V[/tex]. (The number of charge carriers per unit volulme for copper is [tex]8.47{\times}{10^{28}}[/tex] electrons/[tex]m^{3}[/tex]).

Homework Equations

[tex]
q = n_{e}e, {\textcolor[rgb]{1.00,1.00,1.00}{.}}{\textcolor[rgb]{1.00,1.00,1.00}{.}}{\textcolor[rgb]{1.00,1.00,1.00}{.}}{n_{e}} = \pm1, \pm 2, \pm 3,...,
[/tex]

e [itex]\equiv[/itex] elementary charge

[tex]
e = 1.60217646 {\times} 10^{-19}{\textcolor[rgb]{1.00,1.00,1.00}{.}}C
[/tex]

[tex]
{n_{e}} = {\pm}N, {\textcolor[rgb]{1.00,1.00,1.00}{.}}{\textcolor[rgb]{1.00,1.00,1.00}{.}}{\textcolor[rgb]{1.00,1.00,1.00}{.}}{N} = 1, 2, 3,...,
[/tex]

[tex]
{N_{V}} = \frac{n_{e}}{V}
[/tex]

[tex]
{n_{e}} = {N_{V}}{V}
[/tex]

[tex]
{N_{V}} = {\frac{BI}{{\Delta{V}}{le}}}
[/tex]

Where, [tex]{\Delta{V}}[/tex] is the Hall potential difference.

The Attempt at a Solution

This seems like a straight forward problem, here is how I worked through it.

[tex]
{\Delta{V}} = {\frac{BI}{{N_{V}}{le}}}
[/tex]

Let [itex]I[/itex] = current, [itex]{\Delta}{V} = V[/itex], and [itex]\left({\frac{N}{V}}\right)[/itex] be the number of charge carriers per unit volume. So, since we're dealing with electrons,

[tex]
{N_{V}} = -{\left({\frac{N}{V}}\right)}
[/tex]

Where,

[itex]{\left({\frac{N}{V}}\right)} = {{8.47}{\times}{10^{28}}}[/itex] electrons/[itex]{m^{3}}[/itex]

However, since they gave me two distances: thickness ([itex]{t}[/itex]) and width ([itex]{w}[/itex]); which one is [itex]{l}[/itex]?

I thought at first, it was the width because isn't that how the Hall potential difference is defined, as the potential across the width of a strip?

The book used the thickness, so I am wondering why?

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks,

-PFStudent

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
To understand why the formula for Hall voltage contains thickness (not width) you need to review its derivation. If your text isn't clear on the matter, check this out: http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/magnetic/hall.html"

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey,

Doc Al said:
To understand why the formula for Hall voltage contains thickness (not width) you need to review its derivation. If your text isn't clear on the matter, check this out: http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/magnetic/hall.html"

Thanks for the link Doc Al.

So, I noticed they always used the thickness in their examples,..so in a nutshell is that how the Hall Potential is defined?

That is to say, in defining the Hall Potential--if we consider a thin strip (say like copper) of thickness [itex]{t}[/itex], width [itex]{w}[/itex], and length [itex]{l}[/itex]; in a magnetic field [itex]{\vec{B}}[/itex] perpendicular to the face of the strip, carrying a current [itex]{I}[/itex] through one end of the strip and out the other.

Then there is a potential difference [itex]{\Delta{V}}[/itex] as a result of the electric force [itex]{{\vec{F}}_{E}}[/itex] and magnetic force [itex]{{\vec{F}}_{B}}[/itex] opposing each other due to the orientation of the two fields. This is a result of the magnetic field pushing the positive charges to one side of the thin strip. The placement of the positive charges on one side of the strip creates an electric field with the negative charges left on the other side of the strip. Resulting in the creation of a potential difference [itex]{\Delta{V}}[/itex] known as the Hall Potential Difference. Given as,

[tex]
{\Delta{V}} = {\frac{BI}{{N_{V}}{te}}}
[/tex]

Is that all right?

Thanks,

-PFStudent

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey,

Yea, still a little unclear on this.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,

-PFStudent

The hall voltage is established when the resultant force exerted on the charge carriers is zero...that is when [itex]F_E=F_B[/itex]

Hey,

rock.freak667 said:
The hall voltage is established when the resultant force exerted on the charge carriers is zero...that is when [itex]F_E=F_B[/itex]

Ok, that makes sense but that does not quite explain why the Hall Potential is dependent on the thickness [itex]{t}[/itex], of the strip. Why is that?

Thanks,

-PFStudent

Well it all comes from the derivation of the formula
start with
[tex]F_E=F_B[/tex]
=> [tex]Ee=Bev[/tex]
[tex]E=Bv[/tex]
Re:[tex]E=\frac{V_H}{d}[/tex] where d= thickness

[tex]\frac{V_H}{d}=Bv[/tex]
Re: [tex]v=\frac{I}{nAe}[/tex]

[tex]\frac{V_H}{d}=\frac{BI}{nAe}[/tex]
so that:

[tex]V_H=\frac{Bd}{nAe}[/tex]
now A=td where l is the length of the material
[tex]V_H=\frac{Bd}{ntde}[/tex]
[tex]V_H=\frac{B}{net}[/tex]
so t is actually the length which is basically the width

PFStudent said:
Ok, that makes sense but that does not quite explain why the Hall Potential is dependent on the thickness [itex]{t}[/itex], of the strip. Why is that?
Sorry I didn't get back to this sooner. In a nutshell, while the Hall voltage is defined across the width of the strip, it only depends on the thickness of the strip not the width. If you check out the derivation on the link I gave, you'll see how it comes about.

rock.freak667 said:
Well it all comes from the derivation of the formula
start with
[tex]F_E=F_B[/tex]
=> [tex]Ee=Bev[/tex]
[tex]E=Bv[/tex]
Good.

Re:[tex]E=\frac{V_H}{d}[/tex] where d= thickness
I'd say that:
[tex]E=\frac{V_H}{W}[/tex], where W = width, not thickness.

[tex]\frac{V_H}{d}=Bv[/tex]
Re: [tex]v=\frac{I}{nAe}[/tex]

[tex]\frac{V_H}{d}=\frac{BI}{nAe}[/tex]
so that:

[tex]V_H=\frac{Bd}{nAe}[/tex]
now A=td where l is the length of the material
[tex]V_H=\frac{Bd}{ntde}[/tex]
[tex]V_H=\frac{B}{net}[/tex]
so t is actually the length which is basically the width
I can't quite follow this. I'd rewrite it this way:

[tex]E = vB[/tex]

[tex]\frac{V_H}{W} = vB[/tex]
(where W is width)

[tex]v = \frac{I}{n e A}[/tex]

where A is cross-sectional area = Width*thickness = Wt, so:
[tex]\frac{V_H}{W} = \frac{I B}{n e Wt}[/tex]

Note how the width cancels out, leaving the dependence on thickness:
[tex]V_H = \frac{I B}{n e t}[/tex]

Well I guess width and thickness would depend on which way the electrons are flowing in the conducting material...as in my diagram..d as in the height of the conducting material.

Related to How Do You Calculate the Hall Potential Difference in a Copper Strip?

What is Hall Potential Difference?

Hall Potential Difference is the voltage difference that occurs in a conductor when an electric current passes through it in the presence of a perpendicular magnetic field.

How is Hall Potential Difference calculated?

The Hall Potential Difference is calculated using the formula Vh = (B x I x d)/nq, where B is the magnetic field strength, I is the current, d is the distance between the two sides of the conductor, n is the number of charge carriers, and q is the charge of each carrier.

What is the significance of Hall Potential Difference?

Hall Potential Difference is used to determine the type of charge carrier (positive or negative) in a material and to measure the density of these carriers. It is also used in various electronic devices such as Hall effect sensors and Hall probes.

What factors can affect Hall Potential Difference?

The value of Hall Potential Difference can be influenced by the strength of the magnetic field, the current passing through the conductor, the distance between the two sides of the conductor, and the number and type of charge carriers present in the material.

How is Hall Potential Difference different from other types of voltage differences?

Hall Potential Difference is different from other types of voltage differences because it is caused by the combined effect of an electric current and a perpendicular magnetic field. Other types of voltage differences, such as potential difference in a circuit, are caused by the flow of electrons through a conductor without the presence of a magnetic field.