Potential difference in a 2 disk system (Capacitor)

In summary, the potential difference between the center of the left disk and the center of the air gap between the disks can be calculated using the equation ΔV = -∫Edz, where E is the electric field and z is the distance of reference from the disk system. For a first approximation, the electric field can be simplified to E = Q/2Aε₀(1-z/R), where Q is the net charge, A is the area of the disk, and ε₀ is the permittivity of free space. This simplification is valid since the radius of each disk is much greater than the distance between them. Plugging this into the equation for potential difference, we get ΔV = -Qs/2A
Zack K

Homework Statement

A capacitor consists of two large metal disks placed a distance ##s## apart. The radius of each disk is R ## (R \gg s)## and the thickness of each disk is ##t##. The disk on the left has a net charge of ##+Q## and the disk on the right has a net charge of ##-Q##. Calculate the potential difference ##V_2-V_1##. Where location 1 is inside the left disk and at its center and location 2 is in the center of the air gap between the disks. Explain briefly.(I've uploaded a diagram)

Homework Equations

##E_{capacitor}=\frac {Q}{2A\epsilon_o}[1-\frac {z}{\sqrt{R^2+z^2}}]## and to a first approximation, since R is much greater than z, ##E_{capacitor}=\frac {Q}{2A\epsilon_o}[1-\frac {z}{R}]##. Where z is the distance of reference from the disk system and A is the area of the disk.
##\Delta V=-\int_1^2 Edz##

The Attempt at a Solution

To me, the only distance that matters is the distance from between the capacitors to the edge of the left disk since the electric field inside a metal is 0(in equilibrium), so the potential difference would be 0. In that case we can use $$\Delta V=-\int_s^\frac{s}{2} E*dz$$That step is definitely where I messed up. But anyways, using $$E_{capacitor}=\frac {Q}{2A\epsilon_o}[1-\frac {z}{R}]$$Then $$\Delta V=-\int_s^\frac{s}{2}\frac {Q}{2A\epsilon_o}[1-\frac {z}{R}]dz=-\frac {Q}{2A\epsilon_o}\int_s^\frac{s}{2}[1-\frac {z}{R}]$$After integrating and grouping terms I get $$\Delta V=\frac {Q}{2A\epsilon_o}[\frac {5s^2}{8R}-\frac {s}{2}]$$This feels horribly wrong and I'm not confident with the answer

Attachments

• w0067.png
    w0067.png
    1.3 KB · Views: 408
Physics news on Phys.org
You can further simplify the expression you found, given that ##s \ll R## then ##\frac{s^2}{R}\to 0## so all you left with is ##\Delta V=-\frac{Q}{2A\epsilon_0}\frac{s}{2}## which I believe is much more appealing and it is fully compatible with the typical simplifying assumption that is done in cases like this and is to consider the field homogeneous in between the capacitor plates.

Likes Zack K
Actually I need to give a bit better explanation on why we can drop the term ##s^2/R##. It is ##A=\pi R^2## therefore it will be

$$\Delta V=\frac{Q}{2\pi\epsilon_0R}(\frac{5s^2}{8R^2}-\frac{s}{2R})$$
and from those two terms ##s^2/R^2## goes faster to zero than ##s/R##.

Are you sure about that expression for the field in a capacitor? Is there a 2 in the denominator?
I don't see it at http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/electric/pplate.html.

It is much easier if you use R>>s from the start, allowing you to use the infinite plate expression for the fields.
The inner surfaces of each plate (where all the charge sits) generate fields each side of magnitude ##\frac{Q}{2A\epsilon_0}##. In going from position 1 to position 2, the potential from the left plate rises for distance t/2 then falls for distance s/2. The potential from the right plate falls for distance (s+t)/2. Net drop is ##\frac{Qs}{2A\epsilon_0}##.

haruspex said:
Are you sure about that expression for the field in a capacitor? Is there a 2 in the denominator?
I don't see it at http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/electric/pplate.html.

It is much easier if you use R>>s from the start, allowing you to use the infinite plate expression for the fields.
The inner surfaces of each plate (where all the charge sits) generate fields each side of magnitude ##\frac{Q}{2A\epsilon_0}##. In going from position 1 to position 2, the potential from the left plate rises for distance t/2 then falls for distance s/2. The potential from the right plate falls for distance (s+t)/2. Net drop is ##\frac{Qs}{2A\epsilon_0}##.
Sorry there shouldn't be a 2 you're right.

1. What is potential difference in a 2 disk system?

Potential difference in a 2 disk system, also known as capacitance, is the measure of the electric potential energy per unit charge between two conductive surfaces, such as two parallel disks. It is a key factor in understanding the behavior of capacitors in electronic circuits.

2. How is potential difference calculated in a 2 disk system?

The potential difference in a 2 disk system is calculated by dividing the charge on one disk by the capacitance of the system. The capacitance can be determined by the distance between the disks, the size of the disks, and the dielectric constant of the material between the disks.

3. What factors affect the potential difference in a 2 disk system?

The potential difference in a 2 disk system is affected by the distance between the disks, the size of the disks, and the dielectric constant of the material between the disks. It is also affected by the amount of charge on the disks and the material properties of the disks themselves.

4. How does potential difference differ from voltage?

Potential difference and voltage are often used interchangeably, but they are technically different concepts. Potential difference refers to the difference in electric potential energy per unit charge between two points, while voltage is a measure of the potential energy difference between two points in an electric field. In simpler terms, potential difference is a measure of electric potential, while voltage is a measure of electric potential difference.

5. How can potential difference in a 2 disk system be measured?

Potential difference in a 2 disk system can be measured using a voltmeter, which is a device that measures the difference in electric potential between two points. The voltmeter is connected to the two disks and gives a numerical value for the potential difference in volts. This measurement can also be used to calculate the capacitance of the system using the formula mentioned in the second question.