How Do You Calculate the Magnitude of a Filter Response?

In summary, the given equation is F(w) = a / [1 - be^(-jwT)], where a and b are constants. To find the magnitude of this filter response, we take the square root of the sum of the real and imaginary components squared. The correct equation for the magnitude is |F(w)| = a /√[1-2bcos(wT) + b^2*cos^2(wT)].
jmher0403

Homework Statement

F(w) = a / [1 - be^(-jwT)]

where a and b are constants

Find the magnitude of this filter response

Homework Equations

e^(-jX) = cos(X) - isin(X)

The Attempt at a Solution

the answer is a/ √[1-2bcos(wT) + b^2*cos^2(2wT)]

but I can't seem to get rid of sines.

F(w) = a / [1 - be^(-jwT)]
= a / [ 1 - b(cos(wT) - isin(wT) ]
= a / [1 - bcos(wT) + ibsin(wT)]
|F(w| = √{ a^2/ [1 - bcos(wT) + ibsin(wT)]^2}
= a /√[1-2bcos(wT) + b^2*cos^2(wT) + i 2bsin(wT) - i 2b^2*sin(wT)cos(wT) -b^2*sin^2(wT)]

Can anyone point me at the right direction??

Physics news on Phys.org
I think you'll find that when determining the magnitude, you take ( Real^2 + Imag^2 ). The i operator itself does not appear in the magnitude term.

jmher0403 said:
the answer is a/ √[1-2bcos(wT) + b^2*cos^2(2wT)]
Where did you get this from? It's not correct.

jmher0403 said:

Homework Statement

|F(w| = √{ a^2/ [1 - bcos(wT) + ibsin(wT)]^2}

Where did this come from? Makes no sense, and you can't have an imaginary component in a magnitude.

In general, given (a + jb)/(c + jd), a thru d real, magnitude = √(a2 + b2)/√(c2 + d2).

Plus, miles is right, the given answer is incorrect.

Last edited:

Your solution is correct. The magnitude of the filter response is given by the absolute value of the complex expression, which is equal to √(a^2 + b^2 - 2abcos(wT)). This can also be written as a/√[1-2bcos(wT) + b^2*cos^2(wT)]. The presence of the sine terms in your solution is due to the imaginary component in the original expression. However, since the magnitude is only concerned with the real component, the sine terms can be ignored.

Related to How Do You Calculate the Magnitude of a Filter Response?

1. What is the magnitude of filter response?

The magnitude of filter response is a measure of the relative strength of the output signal compared to the input signal. It is typically represented in decibels (dB) and can be used to analyze how a filter affects different frequencies in a signal.

2. How is the magnitude of filter response calculated?

The magnitude of filter response is calculated by taking the ratio of the output signal amplitude to the input signal amplitude, and then converting that ratio to decibels using a logarithmic scale. This calculation can be done for each frequency in the filter's frequency response to create a magnitude plot.

3. What does a high magnitude of filter response indicate?

A high magnitude of filter response indicates that the filter is amplifying the input signal at that particular frequency. This is often seen in low-pass filters, where the output signal is amplified at lower frequencies and attenuated at higher frequencies.

4. What does a low magnitude of filter response indicate?

A low magnitude of filter response indicates that the filter is attenuating the input signal at that particular frequency. This is often seen in high-pass filters, where the output signal is amplified at higher frequencies and attenuated at lower frequencies.

5. How does the shape of the magnitude response plot affect the filter's performance?

The shape of the magnitude response plot can give insight into how the filter will affect different frequencies in a signal. For example, a steep roll-off in a low-pass filter's magnitude plot indicates that the filter will quickly attenuate higher frequencies, while a gradual roll-off indicates a more gradual attenuation. The shape of the magnitude response plot can also reveal any unwanted ripples or peaks in the filter's response, which can impact the filter's performance.