How Do You Calculate the Number of Frogs Eliminated in a Random Walk Problem?

In summary, Javier is trying to find the expected number of frogs that will die after n jumps. He is trying to find the formula that tells him how many frogs he will expect to kill.
javierronda
Hi guys, Would you be so kind to give me a hand with the below, please?

Basically I need a formula that can help me solve the following:

Let's say I have a pond with many many frogs and I have been measuring the amount they can jump.
The frogs jumps seem to follow a normal distribution with media(u)=0.1 meters and StDev(s)=0.5 meters per jump. These frogs jump forward or reverse that's why the u<s but in general they go forward a little bit more often than reverse.

I have to release the frogs on the road and will try to find out the probabilities of where these frogs will land after 20 jumps each. There will be only a narrow stright place to go through, so they can only jump forward or reverse, no side jumping or 3D coordinates like that.

By calculating the expected value (Ev) I will be able to graph a curve that will show me where all these frogs will tend to go. So, being n the number of jumps per frog:

Ev3=u*n + 3*s*(n^0.5) ----> will give me the upper limit line for the 99% of the population
Ev2=u*n + 2*s*(n^0.5) ----> will give me the upper limit line for the 95% of the population
Ev1=u*n + s*(n^0.5) ----> will give me the upper limit line for the 68% of the population
Ev0=u*n ----> will give me the average progression
Ev-1=u*n - s*(n^0.5) ----> will give me the lower limit line for the 68% of the population
Ev-2=u*n - 2*s*(n^0.5) ----> will give me the lower limit line for the 95% of the population
Ev-3=u*n - 3*s*(n^0.5) ----> will give me the lower limit line for the 99% of the population

So, after n jumps, 68% of the population of frogs will land in between EV1 and EV-1, 95% will land between Ev2 and Ev-2 and 99% will end up between Ev3 and Ev-3.

Now, let's focus on the first Ev1 and Ev-1 limits. All the frogs that landed between these 2 limits should represent the 68% of the total population, but the way the frogs went through to get there does not matter to these 2 limits. right?

Lets call this one the tricky point just for future reference so you can reply saying "all good until the tricky point", right?

Here is the part that I'm struggling with:

If I want to make sure that these frogs are having a good performance, I've decided to kill each frog that crosses below the Ev-1 line at any time (n taking any value). Yeah, I'm a bad guy.. I know.

My question is: which is the formula that tells me how many frogs I will expect to kill?

It will have to be a result depending on u,s,n, and the number of original frogs.

Thanks very much for your time and help guys, I really appreciate it.

Please let me know if any doubts or suggestions,

Javier

Likes TachyonLord
Physics news on Phys.org
If all you're looking for is the expected value after n steps... that's quite easy without any real math.
Let S_n denote the nth step, S_0 = 0. Then E(S_n) = n*u.

And just for kicks, here's a simple MATLAB program you can run using u=.1, s=.5, n=20.

e = randn(1,21)*.5+.1;
y = zeros(1,21);
for i = 1:20
y(i+1) = y(i)+e(i+1);
end
y

Last edited:
In a regular RW problem the next jump's mean (= median) is the current location of the frog. Aside from this, the jumps are independent. Given this (conditional) independence, why isn't the answer you're looking for "68% in each and every jump"?

Related to How Do You Calculate the Number of Frogs Eliminated in a Random Walk Problem?

1) What is the "Frogs random walk problem"?

The "Frogs random walk problem" is a mathematical puzzle that involves a group of frogs jumping on lily pads in a random order. The goal is to determine the probability that all the frogs will end up on the same lily pad after a certain number of jumps.

2) How does the "Frogs random walk problem" relate to real-life situations?

The "Frogs random walk problem" is a simplified version of real-life scenarios such as the movement of molecules in a gas or the spread of a disease. It helps scientists understand and model random processes in nature.

3) What factors affect the outcome of the "Frogs random walk problem"?

The outcome of the "Frogs random walk problem" is affected by the number of frogs, the number of lily pads, and the probability of a frog jumping to a specific lily pad. It also depends on the number of jumps the frogs make.

4) What is the significance of the "Frogs random walk problem" in scientific research?

The "Frogs random walk problem" is a useful tool for studying probability and random processes in various fields of science, such as biology, physics, and mathematics. It allows scientists to make predictions and analyze complex systems.

5) How can I solve the "Frogs random walk problem"?

The "Frogs random walk problem" can be solved using mathematical formulas and simulations. It requires knowledge of probability and combinatorics. There are also online tools and programs available that can help solve the problem.