How Do You Calculate the Potential Difference Across a Capacitor in a Circuit?

• Thread starter Prannoy Mehta
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Potential
In summary, Kirchoff's Loop Law and the Attempt at a Solution show that the charge in the 2 microfarad capacitor is equal to the charge in the 4 microfarad capacitor. The Attempt at a Solution also finds that the total charge on the battery is 48*10^-6.
Prannoy Mehta

Homework Statement

Find the potential difference across the 2 microfarad capacitor. A 24V battery's negative end is connected to a 2 microfarad capacitor, which is connected to the negative end of a 12V battery. Which is further(The positive end) connected to a 4 microfarad capacitor, and it is connected to the 24V battery's positive end.

Homework Equations

Kirchoff's Loop Law.

The Attempt at a Solution

The only one equation I got is @Q1+Q2=48*10^-6

Physics news on Phys.org
Please define Q1 and Q2 and post your working.

Let Q1 is the charge stored in the 2 microfarad capacitor, and Q2 is the charge stored in the 4 microfarad capacitor.

Q1/2*10^-6 + Q2/4*10^-6 +12-24=0
=>Q1/2*10^-6 + Q2/4*10^-6=12
=>2Q1+Q2=48*10^-6

I am not sure how to proceed later on, or if possible an alternate approach.

Do you think the capacitors can store different amounts of charge?

I think it does, as they are of different capacitance.
My other doubt was, that negative terminal of a battery, 12V and 24 V connect the 2 microfarad capacitor, should it not be 0. ? The 4 microfarad capacitor gets a 12V potential difference across, it's ends.

My concepts are not that great, when it comes to capacitors, I can't fully understand it. It would be great, if you could help me in understanding how to go about the topic.

Final answer was given as 8V.

Thank you in advance.

Prannoy Mehta said:
How do the capacitors receive their charge?

In a general situation, when there is potential difference across the plates. The electrons of the plate connected to the higher potential move towards to the higher potential. Whereas the electrons from the lower potential charge go to the negative terminal ?

lower potential go to the negative terminal *

How does it relate to the total current that has come through the capacitor?

I am not sure how to answer is this question.

If a 1 A current passes a capacitor for 1 s, what is its charge?

Depends on the capacitance and potential difference ? Q=CV ?

Prannoy Mehta said:
Depends on the capacitance and potential difference ? Q=CV ?
No, it does not depend on the capacitance, or the potential. The resulting potential difference will be decided by the charge.

I din't get you.

Prannoy Mehta said:
I din't get you.
What is the definition of 1 C?

Prannoy Mehta said:
Remember that the part of the circuit from one capacitor plate through the adjacent battery to the adjacent capacitor plate on the other capacitor is electrically isolated, i.e. its total charge cannot change. If the capacitors have different charges, what does that say about the net charge on the battery in between?

Last edited:
Orodruin said:
What is the definition of 1 C?

It is the charge carried by the current of 1A in 1 second.

Okay, I get bits of it. There is no current moving through the capacitor 2 microfarad. If no current moves from the 2 microfarad battery, no current moves from the 4 microfarad battery, if I am not wrong.

I would like to get this cleared to, is it right to say that the charge in a capacitor, and the charge moving through the capacitor are two different things.

Prannoy Mehta said:
is it right to say that the charge in a capacitor, and the charge moving through the capacitor are two different things.
Certainly, since charge does not pass through a capacitor - it is not a conductor of DC.

Thank you, and sorry for the trouble I have caused both of you, Haruspex and Orodruin.

Prannoy Mehta said:
Thank you, and sorry for the trouble I have caused both of you, Haruspex and Orodruin.
No trouble, it's what we're here for.

Related to How Do You Calculate the Potential Difference Across a Capacitor in a Circuit?

What is potential between two ends?

Potential between two ends is a measure of the electric potential difference between two points. It represents the amount of work needed to move a unit of charge from one point to another.

How is potential between two ends calculated?

Potential between two ends is calculated by dividing the work done in moving a unit of charge from one point to another by the magnitude of the charge. Mathematically, it can be represented as V = W/Q, where V is the potential, W is the work, and Q is the charge.

What is the unit of measurement for potential between two ends?

The unit of measurement for potential between two ends is the volt (V). One volt is equivalent to one joule per coulomb (J/C).

Can potential between two ends be negative?

Yes, potential between two ends can be negative. This indicates that the work done in moving a unit of charge is negative, which means that the charge is moving in the opposite direction of the electric field.

How does the distance between two ends affect potential between them?

The potential between two ends is inversely proportional to the distance between them. This means that as the distance between two ends increases, the potential decreases, and vice versa. This relationship is represented by the equation V ∝ 1/r, where V is the potential and r is the distance between two ends.