Using Capacitors on Breadboards: Tips and Tricks for Beginners

• Thread starter Taniaz
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Capacitor
In summary, the conversation discusses a setup involving breadboards and capacitors and the correct way to discharge a capacitor. The setup includes a 1.5 V cell, a 1 μF capacitor, and a 47 μF capacitor. The participants discuss the use of a resistor instead of a wire to discharge the capacitor and the importance of avoiding shorting out the voltage supply. The conversation ends with a plan to test the setup the following day.
Taniaz

Homework Statement

I'm fairly new at breadboards and I've tried to set up how I think it should be (BUT I've used a resistor instead of the second capacitor since I didn't have any on me at the moment AND I will be replacing it with a capacitor when I get the chance but just needed to see if the connections were correct.

Picture of setup is attached.

1. Connect lead D to point Y to discharge the 47 microFarads capacitor. Then remove lead D from this point.
2. Connect lead C to the positive terminal of the cell to charge the 1.0 microFarad capacitor. Then connect lead C to point Y in order to make the two capacitors share the charge.
3. Measure the potential difference V across the arrangement directly after the charge has been shared and calculate the charge which is stored on the 47 microFarads capacitor after sharing.

Homework Equations

None

The Attempt at a Solution

As shown in the pictures.

Attachments

• 16976817_10155044127143838_268741500_n.jpg
    16976817_10155044127143838_268741500_n.jpg
    24.8 KB · Views: 366
  • 17012579_10155044555898838_472023528_n.jpg
    17012579_10155044555898838_472023528_n.jpg
    55.7 KB · Views: 387
  • 16997417_10155044555963838_722821985_n.jpg
    16997417_10155044555963838_722821985_n.jpg
    61.9 KB · Views: 328
Physics news on Phys.org
Taniaz said:

Homework Statement

I'm fairly new at breadboards and I've tried to set up how I think it should be (BUT I've used a resistor instead of the second capacitor since I didn't have any on me at the moment AND I will be replacing it with a capacitor when I get the chance but just needed to see if the connections were correct.

Picture of setup is attached.

1. Connect lead D to point Y to discharge the 47 microFarads capacitor. Then remove lead D from this point.
2. Connect lead C to the positive terminal of the cell to charge the 1.0 microFarad capacitor. Then connect lead C to point Y in order to make the two capacitors share the charge.
3. Measure the potential difference V across the arrangement directly after the charge has been shared and calculate the charge which is stored on the 47 microFarads capacitor after sharing.

Homework Equations

None

The Attempt at a Solution

As shown in the pictures.
On the schematic, are you showing lead D shorting out the voltage supply? Not a good idea if so...

Also, it is a bad idea to short out capacitors with a wire to discharge them. Use a medium-value resistor like 1kOhm instead to reduce the peak discharge current so you don't hurt the capacitor.

Likes cnh1995
I take it that the white wire represents lead D and that the green wire represents lead C? Then the capacitor that you do have is the 1 μF capacitor? If that's all so, it would appear that your layout matches your schematic.

berkeman said:
On the schematic, are you showing lead D shorting out the voltage supply? Not a good idea if so...
I believe that's meant to represent the voltmeter. The voltage is supplied by the 1.5 V cell at the top of the schematic.

Likes berkeman
gneill said:
I take it that the white wire represents lead D and that the green wire represents lead C? Then the capacitor that you do have is the 1 μF capacitor? If that's all so, it would appear that your layout matches your schematic. I believe that's meant to represent the voltmeter. The voltage is supplied by the 1.5 V cell at the top of the schematic.

Yes the white wire is lead D and the green wire is lead C and yes that is the 1 μF capacitor.

Thank you, will test it out tomorrow and see how it goes.

gneill said:
I believe that's meant to represent the voltmeter. The voltage is supplied by the 1.5 V cell at the top of the schematic.
Ah, thanks gneill. Still, I would use a resistor and not a wire to discharge the capacitor.

berkeman said:
Ah, thanks gneill. Still, I would use a resistor and not a wire to discharge the capacitor.
It's a good tip to pass on to newbies. Nothing worse than unknowingly damaging what should be perfectly good new parts when you're just learning, then wondering why the circuit won't work like the writeup says it should.

Likes berkeman

1. What is the purpose of a breadboard with capacitors?

A breadboard with capacitors is used to create temporary electrical circuits for testing and prototyping electronic projects. Capacitors are used in these circuits to store and release electrical energy, providing stability and filtering for the circuit.

2. How do I connect a capacitor to a breadboard?

To connect a capacitor to a breadboard, you will need to use jumper wires. Place one end of the jumper wire in the row that is connected to the positive side of the capacitor, and the other end in the row connected to the negative side. Then, connect the other end of the jumper wire to the desired connection point on the breadboard.

3. What are the different types of capacitors used in breadboards?

There are several types of capacitors that can be used in breadboards, including ceramic, electrolytic, and film capacitors. Ceramic capacitors are small and inexpensive, while electrolytic capacitors have a larger capacitance and are used for higher voltage applications. Film capacitors are good for high-frequency applications.

4. Can I use any capacitor with a breadboard?

Yes, you can use most types of capacitors with a breadboard as long as they fit within the spacing of the breadboard's connection holes. However, it is important to use the correct type and value of capacitor for your specific circuit to ensure proper functioning.

5. How do I test a capacitor on a breadboard?

To test a capacitor on a breadboard, you can use a multimeter. Set the multimeter to the capacitance setting and connect the positive and negative leads to the appropriate rows on the breadboard. The multimeter will display the capacitance value of the capacitor.