How Do You Calculate the Semi-Major Axis of a New Elliptical Orbit?

In summary, the problem involves a satellite initially in geostationary orbit with a radius of 4.22 x 10^7 meters above the Earth's equator. After an engine is briefly fired, the satellite enters an elliptical orbit with eccentricity of 0.35. To find the semi-major axis of the new orbit, the transfer from the initial orbit to the new one must be considered, which occurs at perihelion.
teme92

Homework Statement

(a) A satellite is initially in a geostationary orbit around the Earth, so that the satellite always remains above the same point on the Earth’s equator. Show that the radius of the orbit is ##4.22\times 10^7##(b)An engine is briefly fired in the direction of the satellite’s motion, making the speed of the satellite suddenly increase to a speed ##v_p## and sending the satellite into an elliptical orbit with eccentricity ##e = 0.35##. What is the semi-major axis of the new orbit?

Homework Equations

Period: ##T=2\pi\sqrt{\frac{r^3}{GM_E}}##

Escape Velocity: ##V_{esc}=\sqrt{\frac{2GM_E}{r}}##

Eccentricity: ##e=\sqrt{1+\frac{2{\epsilon}L^2}{(GM_E)^2}}##

##e=\frac{r_a-r_b}{r_a+r_b}## where ##r_a=a(1-e)## and ##r_b=a(1+e)##

The Attempt at a Solution

Done the (a) part straight forward enough with the period formula.
So I subbed in my values to get:

##r=4.22\times 10^7 m##

##V_{esc}=4345 ms^{-1}##

What I don't understand is how to get the semi major axis. If someone could point me in the right direction that would be great. I think I have to get the new period of the orbit but I don't know how.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
teme92 said:

Homework Statement

An engine is briefly fired in the direction of the satellite’s motion, making the speed of the satellite suddenly increase to a speed ##v_p## and sending the satellite into an elliptical orbit with eccentricity ##e = 0.35##. What is the semi-major axis of the new orbit?

Homework Equations

Period: ##T=2\pi\sqrt{\frac{r^3}{GM_E}}##

Escape Velocity: ##V_{esc}=\sqrt{\frac{2GM_E}{r}}##

Eccentricity: ##e=\sqrt{1+\frac{2{\epsilon}L^2}{(GM_E)^2}}##

##e=\frac{r_a-r_b}{r_a+r_b}## where ##r_a=a(1-e)## and ##r_b=a(1+e)##

The Attempt at a Solution

So I subbed in my values to get:

##r=4.22\times 10^7 m##

##V_{esc}=4345 ms^{-1}##

What I don't understand is how to get the semi major axis. If someone could point me in the right direction that would be great. I think I have to get the new period of the orbit but I don't know how.
Have you posted the complete problem statement and/or all the information you were furnished?

Hey SteamKing I edited my post and put in more,I didn't think it was necessary sorry.

teme92 said:
Hey SteamKing I edited my post and put in more,I didn't think it was necessary sorry.
It normally wouldn't make a difference if this were Psychic Forums, rather than Physics Forums.

But, the additional information clarifies this thread greatly.

Ouch

Likes Qwertywerty
Hint: The transfer occur at perihelion.

What do you mean by transfer?

From the one orbit to the other.

Related to How Do You Calculate the Semi-Major Axis of a New Elliptical Orbit?

What is the semi-major axis of an orbit?

The semi-major axis of an orbit is a measure of the size of an elliptical orbit. It is half the length of the longest diameter of the ellipse, and is used to determine the average distance between the orbiting object and the center of mass of the system.

How is the semi-major axis calculated?

The semi-major axis can be calculated using the equation a = (p/2π)^2 * GM, where a is the semi-major axis, p is the orbital period, G is the gravitational constant, and M is the mass of the central body.

What is the relationship between the semi-major axis and the eccentricity of an orbit?

The semi-major axis and eccentricity are inversely proportional. This means that as the eccentricity of an orbit increases, the semi-major axis decreases, and vice versa.

What are the units of measurement for the semi-major axis?

The semi-major axis is typically measured in astronomical units (AU) or kilometers (km). It can also be measured in other units, such as meters (m) or miles (mi), depending on the scale of the orbit.

Why is the semi-major axis important in orbital mechanics?

The semi-major axis is an important parameter in orbital mechanics because it helps determine the shape, size, and stability of an orbit. It is also used to calculate other important orbital elements, such as the orbital period and orbital velocity.