Satellite Orbit Trajectory and Velocity Doubling: Parabolic or Hyperbolic?

In summary, a satellite with an eccentricity of 1/2 is launched into an elliptic orbit around a planet. When it reaches a radial turning point, its velocity is suddenly doubled. This results in a new orbit that can be either parabolic or hyperbolic, depending on which turning point the velocity doubling occurs. The eccentricity of the orbit plays a crucial role in determining its shape, with values less than 1 resulting in an elliptical orbit and values greater than 1 resulting in a hyperbolic orbit.
physics148

Homework Statement

A satellite moves in an elliptic orbit with eccentricity e=1/2 around a planet which it was launched. When it arrives at an apsis( a radial turning point), its velocity is suddenly doubled. Show that the new orbit will be either parabolic or hyperbolic depending on which of the turning points the velocity doubling occurs.

Homework Equations

if the E<0 and e<1, the orbit is an ellipse
if E>0 and e>1 the orbit is a hyperbola

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried to solve this question, but I got stuck and couldn't get anywhere cause I wasn't sure what to do.

Physics news on Phys.org
I know that the eccentricity of an orbit determines its shape, but I'm not sure how to use that in this question. Any help would be much appreciated!

What is an elliptical orbit trajectory?

An elliptical orbit trajectory is a path followed by an object in space that is shaped like an ellipse. This means that the object's distance from the center of the orbiting body will vary throughout its orbit.

What causes an object to follow an elliptical orbit trajectory?

An object follows an elliptical orbit trajectory due to the combined effects of gravity and the object's own inertia. Gravity pulls the object towards the center of the orbiting body, while the object's inertia causes it to continue moving forward.

How is an elliptical orbit trajectory different from a circular orbit?

An elliptical orbit trajectory differs from a circular orbit in that it is not a perfect circle. In a circular orbit, the object's distance from the center of the orbiting body remains constant. In an elliptical orbit, the distance varies, resulting in a more elongated shape.

What factors affect the shape of an elliptical orbit trajectory?

The shape of an elliptical orbit trajectory is affected by the mass and distance of the orbiting body, as well as the velocity and angle of the object's initial trajectory. These factors determine the strength and direction of the gravitational pull, which in turn affects the shape of the orbit.

Can an object in an elliptical orbit trajectory ever escape the gravitational pull of the orbiting body?

Yes, if an object in an elliptical orbit trajectory reaches a high enough velocity, it can escape the gravitational pull of the orbiting body and enter a parabolic or hyperbolic trajectory. This is known as an escape orbit.