How Do You Calculate the Speed of a Car Down an Inclined Driveway with Friction?

In summary: Make sure you use the correct distance for the driveway(the 5 meter hypotenuse) and the correct height for the potential energy (the y-component of that hypotenuse using that 20 degrees)
mizzy

Homework Statement

A 2.1 x 10^3kg car starts from rest at the top of a 5.0m long driveway that is inclined at 20degrees with the horizontal. If an average friction force of 4.0 x 10^3N impedes the motion, find the speed of the car at the bottom of the driveway.

Homework Equations

Work-energy theorum: Wnet = delta KE

The Attempt at a Solution

I don't know where to start. Do I need to consider potential energy too? or just kinetic energy?

What I did is to start with this equation: Wnet = KEf - KEi
Since the car started from rest, KEi = 0. Therefore, Wnet = 1/2mvf^2. Solve for vf. Am i right? It's on an incline, do I need to include the x component of gravitational force?

Physics news on Phys.org
[tex]KE_i + U_i = KE_f + U_f + W_{friction}[/tex]
Initial kinetic energy and final potential energy can be set to zero. To find the total force of friction, you must multiply the distance the car moved by that average force (w = fd).
[tex]U_i = KE_f + F_{friction}D_{driveway}[/tex]

Make sure you use the correct distance for the driveway(the 5 meter hypotenuse) and the correct height for the potential energy (the y-component of that hypotenuse using that 20 degrees)

xcvxcvvc said:
[tex]KE_i + U_i = KE_f + U_f + W_{friction}[/tex]
Initial kinetic energy and final potential energy can be set to zero. To find the total force of friction, you must multiply the distance the car moved by that average force (w = fd).
[tex]U_i = KE_f + F_{friction}D_{driveway}[/tex]

Make sure you use the correct distance for the driveway(the 5 meter hypotenuse) and the correct height for the potential energy (the y-component of that hypotenuse using that 20 degrees)

Why is the Wfriction on the right side of the equation??

I got the answer wrong =(

For Wfriction, I took the Force of friction given x the distance of 5.00m. For the potential energy, I used 5 cos 20.

is that right?

mizzy said:
I don't know where to start. Do I need to consider potential energy too? or just kinetic energy?
If you include the work done by all forces (there are only two here) then you don't need to consider potential energy. (You automatically include it by using the force of gravity.)

What I did is to start with this equation: Wnet = KEf - KEi
Since the car started from rest, KEi = 0. Therefore, Wnet = 1/2mvf^2. Solve for vf. Am i right?
Perfectly correct.

It's on an incline, do I need to include the x component of gravitational force?
Definitely. Since the car is moving in the x direction, you must consider all forces in the x direction.

(I thought I responded to this early this morning, but I must have deleted the post by mistake.)
mizzy said:
For Wfriction, I took the Force of friction given x the distance of 5.00m.
Good.
For the potential energy, I used 5 cos 20.
5 cos 20 is the horizontal component of the distance. How do you calculate the gravitational PE?

It's perfectly OK to use the conservation of energy equation as suggested by xcvxcvvc, in which case you include gravitational PE. You'll get the same answer as you would using the Work - KE theorem.

mizzy said:
Why is the Wfriction on the right side of the equation??

Yeah, you're right. You usually write it in terms of work done. I was thinking of that work quantity as positive. It should be on the initial side, and it should be negative.

Initial energy + work done by friction (which is negative) = final energy

Related to How Do You Calculate the Speed of a Car Down an Inclined Driveway with Friction?

1. What is work in terms of physics?

In physics, work is defined as the product of the force applied to an object and the displacement of the object in the direction of the force.

2. How is work calculated?

Work is calculated by multiplying the magnitude of the force applied to an object by the distance the object moves in the direction of the force.

3. What is energy conservation?

Energy conservation is the principle that states that energy cannot be created or destroyed, only transferred or converted from one form to another.

4. How is energy conserved in a system?

In a closed system, the total amount of energy remains constant, meaning that energy is neither created nor destroyed. It can only be transferred or converted between different forms, such as potential and kinetic energy.

5. What is the relationship between work and energy conservation?

Work and energy conservation are closely related, as work done on an object will result in a change in its energy. According to the work-energy theorem, the work done on an object is equal to the change in its kinetic energy.