How Do You Calculate the Speed of a Falling Chimney's Center of Mass?

• Thread starter NasuSama
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Rotational
In summary, a chimney falls and cracks at the base, but only gravity (no friction) acts on it. The bottom of the chimney tilts but does not move left or right. The chimney behaves like a thin rod, and vcm, the linear speed of the center of mass, is found to be 24.7 mph.
NasuSama

Homework Statement

A chimney (length L = 82.6 m, mass M = 2280 kg) cracks at the base, and topples. Assume:
- the chimney behaves like a thin rod, and it does not break apart as it falls
- only gravity (no friction) acts on the chimney as if falls
- the bottom of the chimney tilts but does not move left or right

Find vcm, the linear speed of the center of mass of the chimney just as it hits the ground.

Homework Equations

τ = Iα
τ = rF
ω_f² = ω_0² + 2aθ
v = ωr

The Attempt at a Solution

τ = mgL/2
τ = Iα

mgL/2 = 1/12 * mL² * α
α = 6g/L

ω = √(2αθ) [I was thinking that θ = π/2, but this gives incorrect answer]

v = ωr
= √(2αθ)r

But the whole answer is wrong

Physics news on Phys.org
The acceleration is not constant, so you cannot use those kinematic formulas for constant acceleration.

Instead of kinematics, think in terms of energy.

Doc Al said:
The acceleration is not constant, so you cannot use those kinematic formulas for constant acceleration.

Instead of kinematics, think in terms of energy.

Then, I believe it is...

PE = KE

mgL/2 = 1/2 * Iω²

Last edited:
Actually, I used that form and tried to use kinematic as before, but as you just said it's not right.

mgL/2 = ½ * 1/12 * mL²ω²
g = 1/12 * L * ω²
ω = √(12g/L)

v = ωr
= √(12g/L) * L/2

Wait.. As you just said before, I can't use kinematics! But how?

NasuSama said:
Then, I believe it is...

PE = KE

mgL/2 = 1/2 * Iω²
Good!

NasuSama said:
Actually, I used that form and tried to use kinematic as before, but as you just said it's not right.

mgL/2 = ½ * 1/12 * mL²ω²
What's the rotational inertia about the pivot point?

Doc Al said:
What's the rotational inertia about the pivot point?

For the chimney acting like the "thin rod", that is 1/3 * mL². Then, we obtain...

mgL/2 = ½ * 1/3 * mL² * ω² [since the rotational axis is at one end of the chimney]

...so ...

g = 1/3 * L * ω²
ω = √(3g/L)

NasuSama said:
For the chimney acting like the "thin rod", that is 1/3 * mL². Then, we obtain...

mgL/2 = ½ * 1/3 * mL² * ω² [since the rotational axis is at one end of the chimney]
Good!

Doc Al said:
Good!

Continuing from here...

g = 1/3 * L * ω²
ω = √(3g/L)

Then...

v = ωr

But you said that I can't use kinematics. I though that ω is the angular speed, so I need to multiply that value by L/2 to get the result.

I don't understand. I though that ω is the angular speed, right? Then, v is the linear speed.

Which is the key to find? ω or v? I don't even get the point here.

NasuSama said:
Continuing from here...

g = 1/3 * L * ω²
ω = √(3g/L)

Then...

v = ωr
Good.

But you said that I can't use kinematics. I though that ω is the angular speed, so I need to multiply that value by L/2 to get the result.
I meant that you couldn't use kinematic formulas for constant acceleration. Of course you can use some kinematics, such as v = ωr. :wink:

NasuSama said:
I don't understand. I though that ω is the angular speed, right? Then, v is the linear speed.

Nvm. I believe I get your point when you made the new post.

NasuSama said:
Right.
You are asked to find the linear speed of the center of mass.

Then, when I substitute all the values in, I get...

v = √(3g/L) * L/2
= √(3 * 9.81/82.6) * 82.6/2
≈ 24.7

NasuSama said:
Then, when I substitute all the values in, I get...

v = √(3g/L) * L/2
= √(3 * 9.81/82.6) * 82.6/2
≈ 24.7
Looks good to me.

Finally, I got it right. Thanks. I checked with the solution key, and I'm actually correct.

NasuSama said:
Finally, I got it right. Thanks. I checked with the solution key, and I'm actually correct.
Yay! :approve:

Related to How Do You Calculate the Speed of a Falling Chimney's Center of Mass?

1. What is the rotational problem?

The rotational problem is a physics problem that involves the rotational motion of an object or system. It can be related to concepts such as torque, angular velocity, and angular acceleration.

2. How do I solve a rotational problem?

To solve a rotational problem, you need to use the principles of rotational motion, such as Newton's laws, the equations of rotational motion, and conservation of angular momentum. It is also important to draw a clear diagram and label all known and unknown variables.

3. What are the units of measurement for rotational motion?

The units of measurement for rotational motion depend on the specific quantity being measured. For example, angular displacement is measured in radians, angular velocity in radians per second, and angular acceleration in radians per second squared. Torque is measured in newton-meters, and moment of inertia is measured in kilograms per square meter.

4. How does friction affect rotational motion?

Friction can affect rotational motion by creating a torque that opposes the direction of rotation. This can cause the object to slow down or stop rotating. Additionally, friction can also affect the point of rotation, making it more difficult to calculate the moment of inertia.

5. Can you provide an example of a rotational problem?

One example of a rotational problem is a spinning top. The top has a moment of inertia, and its angular velocity and angular acceleration can be affected by external forces such as friction and gravity. By using the principles of rotational motion, we can calculate the top's final angular velocity and the time it takes to come to a stop.