Conservation laws in rotational movement

In summary: You could also start at B, but then you would also have to consider the potential energy at B - which is indeed important for the total energy, but not for the rotation.So, when starting at B, you getKE(B) + PE(B) = KE(C)1/2mω^2 + mgh = 1/6mL^2ω^25/6mL^2ω^2 = mghω^2 = 6gh / 5Lω = √(6gh / 5L), as you calculated.
MPat

Homework Statement

Consider a uniform rod of mass 12kg and length 1.0m. At it's end the rod is attached to a fixed, friction free pivot. Initially the rod is balanced vertically above the pivot and begins to fall (from rest) as shown in the diagram. Determine,
a) the angular acceleration of the rod as it passes through the horizontal at B. (rod is horizontal with left end at pivot point)
b) the angular speed of the rod as it passes through the vertical at C. (rod is vertical with upper end at pivot point)

For the diagram picture a clock with hand pointing to 12 (for position A, initial position), 3 for position B, 6 for position C.

Given:
m=12kg
L= 1.0m

Homework Equations

τ = Iα
PE = mgh
KE (rotational) = 1/2Iω^2
Irod = 1/3ml^2

The Attempt at a Solution

a) α=?
τ = Iα
τ = rF, F = mg, τ = rmg, r=L/2 since center of mass will be at centre of rod
τ=L/2*mg
Iα=1/3ml^
L/2*mg =1/3ml^
Solve for α
m cancels out
3L/2L^2 = α
L cancels out
3/2L=α
3/2(1)= α = 1.5 rad/s^2

b) ω=?
mgh=KE
mgL/2=1/2(1/3ML^2)ω^2
mass cancels out
6gL/2L^2 = ω^2
3g/2L = ω^2
ω= sqrt (3*9.8/2*1)
ω = 5.42 rad/s

I'm just not sure if I got the answer correct. Is someone able to check? Was a little unsure of what numbers I was using as radius and center of mass.

Thanks

Miral

Physics news on Phys.org
You lost a factor g somewhere in the calculation of the acceleration. This would have been obvious if you would have included the units, because the left side is a length and the right side is an angular acceleration - they cannot be equal.

How did you find h in (b)?Concerning the notation: Things like 1/2L are problematic: is it 1/(2L) or (1/2)L? Usually the latter - if the L is supposed to be in the denominator, you should write 1/(2L).

mfb said:
You lost a factor g somewhere in the calculation of the acceleration. This would have been obvious if you would have included the units, because the left side is a length and the right side is an angular acceleration - they cannot be equal.

How did you find h in (b)?Concerning the notation: Things like 1/2L are problematic: is it 1/(2L) or (1/2)L? Usually the latter - if the L is supposed to be in the denominator, you should write 1/(2L).
Whoops! You're totally right. I lost a g in there.

L/2*mg =1/3ml^
Solve for α
m cancels out
3Lg/2L^2 = α
L cancels out
(3g)/(2L)=α
3(9.8)/2(1)= α = 14.7 rad/s^2Found the h or change in h by taking half of the length of the rod. L=1.0m, H = L/2
If the rod is starting at position B with rod horizontal, gravity acts on the center of mass, the change in height from position B to C is therefore 0.5m or L/2.

Does that look better?

MPat said:
If the rod is starting at position B with rod horizontal
I don't think it is. I don't see the diagram, but the starting position should be "12" at the clock.

(a) looks better now.

mfb said:
I don't think it is. I don't see the diagram, but the starting position should be "12" at the clock.

(a) looks better now.
Ohhh...I think I see your point. If my starting point was B then the rod would have already gained some KE from A to B. So if I use conservation of energy and start at position A, the height would be 1.0m. mgh (point A) = KE (point C).

Right.

1. What are conservation laws in rotational movement?

Conservation laws in rotational movement state that certain physical quantities, such as angular momentum and rotational kinetic energy, remain constant in a closed system where there are no external torques acting on it.

2. Why are conservation laws important in rotational movement?

Conservation laws are important in rotational movement because they allow us to predict and understand the behavior of rotating objects without having to consider every individual force acting on them. This simplifies calculations and makes it easier to analyze rotational systems.

3. How do conservation laws apply to real-life situations?

Conservation laws in rotational movement can be observed in many real-life situations, such as a spinning top maintaining its angular momentum as it spins, or a figure skater pulling their arms in to increase their rotational speed while conserving their angular momentum.

4. Are there any exceptions to conservation laws in rotational movement?

There are some situations where conservation laws may not apply, such as when there is friction present or when external forces are acting on the system. In these cases, the conservation of angular momentum and kinetic energy may not hold true.

5. What are the implications of violating conservation laws in rotational movement?

If conservation laws are violated in rotational movement, it means that the system is not closed and there are external torques acting on it. This can lead to unexpected and unpredictable behavior, making it important to consider conservation laws when analyzing rotational systems.