How Do You Calculate Total Pressure in Mixed Gas Systems?

In summary, the total pressure in the cylinder is 30kPa when 5L of nitrogen at 100kPa and 298K and 5L of oxygen at 200kPa are pumped into a evacuated 50L cylinder at a constant temperature. When a 10L flask containing nitrogen at 500mmHg is connected to a 4L flask containing oxygen at 800mmHg pressure via a closed tap, the final pressure after opening the tap is 586mmHg assuming constant temperature. These answers were obtained using the formulas pV = nRT and PA = (nA/nA+nB) x PT.
ravadongon
Question 1: 5L of nitrogen at 100kPa and 298K and 5L of oxygen at 200kPa are pumped into a evacuated 50L cylinder. Temperature remains constant, what is the total pressure in the cylinder?

Correct Answer: 30kPa
My answer: 300 kPa

Question 2: A 10L flask containing nitrogen at 500mmHg is connected via a closed tap to a 4L flask containing oxygen at 800mmHg pressure, if the tap is opened what will be the final pressure assuming temperature remains constant?

Answer: 586mmHg
My answer: 1300mmHg

Formulas I used:

pV = nRT (to find mols)
PA = (nA/nA+nB) x PT

How did they get these answers...cos I can't seem to get them..?? Any help would be appreciated...

Physics news on Phys.org
This thread is also in the Chemistry section. It has a reply in this section so I would suggest that it continues in that section of the forums.

Please do not double post ravadongon.

The Bob (2004 ©)

Last edited:
The Bob said:
This thread is also in the Chemistry section. It has a reply in this section so I woul suggest that it continues in that section of the forums.

Please do not double post ravadongon.

The Bob (2004 ©)

sorry, I'll get a mod to delete it...

ravadongon said:
sorry, I'll get a mod to delete it...
It's alright. I am not telling you off in a way where I am going to take my leather belt off. :-p

Believe me, we all get told once, even if we did not start the thread. Just make sure you are not one of the people that have to be told more than once. :smile: :-p

So long as no one else posts here, there should be no need to get a moderator to delete it. :smile:

The Bob (2004 ©)

Related to How Do You Calculate Total Pressure in Mixed Gas Systems?

1. What is partial pressure?

Partial pressure is a measure of the pressure exerted by a single gas in a mixture of gases. It is a way to quantify the amount of a specific gas in a mixture.

2. How do you calculate partial pressure?

Partial pressure is calculated by multiplying the total pressure of the gas mixture by the mole fraction of the specific gas. The mole fraction is the ratio of the number of moles of the specific gas to the total number of moles of all gases in the mixture.

3. Why is partial pressure important?

Partial pressure is important because it helps us understand how gases behave in a mixture. It is also used in various scientific fields such as chemistry, physics, and biology to determine the properties and behaviors of gases.

4. How is partial pressure affected by temperature and volume?

According to the ideal gas law, the partial pressure of a gas is directly proportional to its temperature and the number of moles present, and inversely proportional to the volume of the container. This means that as temperature and number of moles increase, so does the partial pressure, while an increase in volume decreases the partial pressure.

5. Can partial pressure be measured directly?

Yes, partial pressure can be directly measured using instruments such as a manometer or a barometer. These instruments measure the pressure of a specific gas in a mixture and can be used to calculate the partial pressure of that gas.