How Do You Calculate Turntable Rotation and Acceleration?

In summary, the problem involves finding the angular displacement and linear acceleration of a record player's turntable after being turned off. The equations for rotational motion can be converted to linear motion terms to make it easier to understand. The angular acceleration can be calculated using the given information, which will be useful in solving for the distance traveled and linear acceleration.
thegoosegirl42
I know this is not typical and you aren't suppose to solve the problem for the person just give hints, however my teacher has not taught this and expects us to know it. For whatever I cannot grasp how to do this any help would be great thank you!

1. Homework Statement

The turntable of a record player has an angular speed of 3.5 rad/s at the instant it is turned off. The turntable stops 1.6s after being turned off. The radius of the turntable is 15cm. (a) If the angular acceleration is constant, through how many radians does the turntable turn after being turned off? (b) What is the magnitude of the linear acceleration of a point on the rim of the turntable 1.0s after it is turned off? (Hint: The linear acceleration has both a radial and a tangential component).

Homework Equations

We have not been given any equations yet, we were just told to use the position function and ones used in projectile motion problems.

The Attempt at a Solution

for a I got 4.375 I took 3.5(1.6/2). Is this right? I don't really have any reasonings for why I did it. I don't understand how to do b. If you could send me down the right path with that one it would be greatly appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
The equations for rotational motion have a one-to-one correspondence with those for kinematics, just the variable names change.

Convert the "story" to linear motion terms so that you can think about it on familiar grounds:

An object has a linear speed of 3.5 m/s at the instant it is released on a flat surface. It coasts to a stop 1.6 second after being released. If the acceleration is constant, what is the distance it traveled after release?

gneill said:
The equations for rotational motion have a one-to-one correspondence with those for kinematics, just the variable names change.

Convert the "story" to linear motion terms so that you can think about it on familiar grounds:

An object has a linear speed of 3.5 m/s at the instant it is released on a flat surface. It coasts to a stop 1.6 second after being released. If the acceleration is constant, what is the distance it traveled after release?
Thank you very much that helped me with a but how do I even approach b this is where I was really thrown through the loop. I tried to find the velocity at 1 s with no success.

thegoosegirl42 said:
Thank you very much that helped me with a but how do I even approach b this is where I was really thrown through the loop. I tried to find the velocity at 1 s with no success.
Did you calculate the angular acceleration while answering part (a)?

Would that be the acceleration divided by the radius?

thegoosegirl42 said:
Would that be the acceleration divided by the radius?
Well, yes, it would be equal to the tangential acceleration divided by the radius. I thought you might have determined it from the initial and final angular velocities and the stopping time. It'll come in handy for writing the equation of motion for the turntable w.r.t. time.

1. What is a turntable?

A turntable, also known as a record player, is a device used to play vinyl records. It consists of a rotating platter, a tonearm, and a cartridge that holds a stylus to read the grooves on the record.

2. How does rotation work on a turntable?

The platter on a turntable rotates at a constant speed, usually 33 1/3 or 45 revolutions per minute (RPM). The record is placed on the platter, and the stylus on the tonearm reads the grooves, causing vibrations that are then amplified and played through speakers.

3. Can a turntable rotate in both directions?

Yes, most modern turntables have a switch to change the direction of rotation. This is known as a reverse function and is mainly used for DJing purposes to create different effects.

4. What is the difference between direct drive and belt drive turntables?

A direct drive turntable has its motor directly connected to the platter, while a belt drive turntable has an elastic belt that connects the motor to the platter. Direct drive turntables are more commonly used for DJing because they have a faster start-up time and can maintain a consistent speed, while belt drive turntables are preferred for listening purposes as they produce less vibration and noise.

5. How do I properly maintain the rotation on my turntable?

To maintain proper rotation on your turntable, it is essential to regularly clean the stylus and replace the stylus when it becomes worn. Additionally, make sure to keep the platter and belt (if applicable) clean and in good condition. It is also recommended to store your records in a cool and dry place to avoid warping and damaging the grooves.