Rotational Kinematics: Slowing Down Turntable

In summary: In this case, the concept of angular frequency might seem new, but it's actually a more generalization of the concept of velocity. Once you understand how to solve for ω in terms of t and f_0, you'll be able to solve for any other angular frequency.
hb20007

Homework Statement

A turntable is a uniform disc of mass m and radius R. The turntable is initially spinning clockwise when looked down on from above at a constant frequency f_0. The motor is turned off at t=0 and the turntable slows to a stop in time t with constant angular deceleration.

a. What is the magnitude of the angular acceleration of the turntable? Express your answer in terms of f_0 and t

b. What is the magnitude of the total angle Δθ in radians that the turntable spins while slowing down? Express your answer in terms of f_0 and t

Homework Equations

We have to find them!

The Attempt at a Solution

I know that the initial angular velocity is = 2 * pi * f_0

I'm not very good at maths but I think the solution to part a is derived from differentiating the equation for angular velocity. I did that and got my answer as angular acceleration = - 2 * pi * (f_0)^2 which is wrong. I'm not sure where I went wrong though. As for part b, I tried integrating the equation of angular velocity but I'm getting a wrong answer as well?

Physics news on Phys.org
You can get away without using any calculus if you make use of the usual kinematic formulas. All the formulas for linear motion have their counterparts for angular motion. They are even of the same form, but use angular variables instead of linear ones.

Take for example the formula for velocity from rest when there is a constant acceleration: v = at. Its angular motion analog is ##ω = \alpha t##. All the other basic kinematic formulas can be similarly "translated".

Imagine that the same problem was given to you in linear form: "An object of mass m is moving to the right on a level surface with initial velocity vo. At time to its propulsion is switched off and It slows to a stop after time t with constant acceleration. What's the magnitude of the acceleration? How far will the object travel while it is slowing down?" How would you go about solving that problem? What formulas would you use?

That's a really useful simplification, thanks.
However, what would be the linear motion counterpart for frequency?

hb20007 said:
That's a really useful simplification, thanks.
However, what would be the linear motion counterpart for frequency?

Frequency is a sort of "lap counter" or "event counter" form of angular frequency; ##ω = 2 \pi f##. When dealing with angular motion we usually convert f's to ω's as soon as possible :smile: It's ω that has velocity as its analog.

Thanks once again. The question actually wasn't difficult at all but I struggled with it because I expected it to be so. Once you showed me how to eliminate the concepts of angular acceleration and frequency I could think clearly and I just got the answer

hb20007 said:
Thanks once again. The question actually wasn't difficult at all but I struggled with it because I expected it to be so. Once you showed me how to eliminate the concepts of angular acceleration and frequency I could think clearly and I just got the answer

Excellent news :smile: It can often be helpful to look at "new" concepts from the point of view of ones you've already mastered.

Related to Rotational Kinematics: Slowing Down Turntable

1. What is rotational kinematics?

Rotational kinematics is the branch of physics that deals with the motion of objects that are rotating or moving in a circular path. It involves the study of concepts such as angular displacement, angular velocity, and angular acceleration.

2. How is rotational kinematics different from linear kinematics?

Rotational kinematics deals with the motion of objects that are rotating, while linear kinematics deals with the motion of objects in a straight line. Rotational kinematics involves the use of angular measurements and equations, while linear kinematics uses linear measurements and equations.

3. What is angular displacement?

Angular displacement is the measure of the angle through which an object has rotated or turned. It is usually measured in radians or degrees and can be positive or negative depending on the direction of rotation.

4. What is the relationship between angular and linear velocity?

Angular and linear velocity are related through the radius of rotation. The linear velocity of an object is equal to its angular velocity multiplied by the radius of rotation. This means that the linear velocity of an object increases as its distance from the center of rotation increases.

5. What is the difference between angular velocity and angular acceleration?

Angular velocity is the rate of change of angular displacement over time, while angular acceleration is the rate of change of angular velocity over time. In other words, angular velocity measures how fast an object is rotating, while angular acceleration measures how quickly its rotation is changing.