How Do You Change The Font Size of LaTeX?

• LaTeX
  • Thread starter askor
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses how to change font size and write symbols in LaTeX, particularly in the Physics Forums platform. A link is provided for information on different font sizes and it is mentioned that normal LaTeX sizes work in the forums. It is also explained how to write the integral symbol in both inline and display-style math. A link to the LaTeX guide on the Physics Forums website is also shared.
askor
Can someone please tell me how to change the font size of text and Latex?

Thank you

Physics news on Phys.org
I forgot to mention. What I meant is in this forums.

I also would like to know how to write the integral symbol in this forums like this:

int_big.PNG

Instead of this:

int_small.PNG

askor said:
I forgot to mention. What I meant is in this forums.
Most of the normal LaTeX font sizes work here too: $${\Huge \text{Physics Forums}} \quad {\normalsize \text{Physics Forums}} \quad {\tiny \text{Physics Forums}}$$ This was created with $${\Huge \text{Physics Forums}} \quad {\normalsize \text{Physics Forums}} \quad {\tiny \text{Physics Forums}}$$
askor said:
I also would like to know how to write the integral symbol in this forums like this:

View attachment 280258
Instead of this:

View attachment 280259
The latter is inline math, created by appending ## to the beginning and end of the LaTeX code. The former is display-style. Use $$ instead of ##:
$$\int_a^b \sec \theta\ \mathrm{d} \theta$$ and

##\int_a^b \sec \theta\ \mathrm{d} \theta##.

Also, have a look at our LaTeX guide: https://www.physicsforums.com/help/latexhelp/

• Informative
Likes Greg Bernhardt, berkeman, mfb and 1 other person

1. How do I change the font size in LaTeX?

To change the font size in LaTeX, you can use the command \fontsize{size}{skip} before the text you want to change the font size of. The first argument represents the font size in points, and the second argument is the skip, or the space between lines. For example, \fontsize{12}{14}\selectfont will set the font size to 12 points with a line spacing of 14 points.

2. Can I change the font size globally in LaTeX?

Yes, you can change the font size globally in LaTeX by using the command \documentclass[fontsize]{class} before the \begin{document} command. This will set the default font size for your entire document. Alternatively, you can use the package "extsizes" to access a wider range of font size options.

3. How do I change the font size for a specific section or heading?

To change the font size for a specific section or heading in LaTeX, you can use the command \section{\fontsize{size}{skip}Section Name}. This will set the font size for that specific section or heading. You can also use this command for other elements such as \subsection and \subsubsection.

4. Can I use custom font sizes in LaTeX?

Yes, you can use custom font sizes in LaTeX by using the command \fontsize{size}{skip} before the text you want to change the font size of, as mentioned in question 1. You can also create your own custom font sizes using the command \DeclareFontShape.

5. How do I change the font size of math equations in LaTeX?

To change the font size of math equations in LaTeX, you can use the \scriptstyle or \displaystyle commands before the equation. These commands will set the font size to the small or large size, respectively. You can also use the package "amsmath" and its commands such as \text, \dfrac, and \tfrac to customize the font size of equations.