How Do You Compute Gaussian Functional Integrals in Quantum Field Theory?

In summary: D \phi e^{-S} \propto \mathrm{exp} \left[ \theta \int dx~d \tau \frac{\partial^2 \theta}{\partial x^2} \right]Finally, we can use the Gaussian integral formula to solve this and get the following result: \int D \phi e^{-S} = \sqrt{\frac{\pi}{\theta}}.In summary, to compute the given integral, we first rewrite it in a more convenient form and then use the formula for Gaussian integrals. We can identify the necessary variables and operators and simplify the integral to get the final result. I hope this helps.
psi*psi
I am new to path integral and struggling with the computation involving Gaussian functional integrals. Could anyone show me the steps of computing the following integral?
[tex] \int D \phi e^{-S},[/tex]
where
[tex] S = \int dx~d \tau [(\frac{\partial \phi}{\partial x})^2+2 i \frac{\partial \theta}{\partial \tau} \frac{\partial \phi}{\partial x} ][/tex].
[itex] \theta [/itex] is a function that is not being integrated over.
I know I am supposed to use the formula
[tex] \int D v(x) \mathrm{exp}[-\frac{1}{2} \int d x d x'~v(x) A(x,x') v(x') + \int d x~j(x) v(x)] \propto \mathrm{exp} [\frac{1}{2} \int d x d x'~j(x) A^{-1}(x,x') j(x')],[/tex]
where [itex] A(x,x') [/itex] is an operator. But I am having trouble in applying this result.

Thanks in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org

Hello,

I understand that you are new to path integral and are struggling with the computation involving Gaussian functional integrals. I will try my best to explain the steps involved in computing the given integral.

Firstly, let's rewrite the given integral in a more convenient form:

\int D \phi e^{-S} = \int D \phi \mathrm{exp} \left[ -\int dx~d \tau (\frac{\partial \phi}{\partial x})^2 - 2 i \int dx~d \tau \frac{\partial \theta}{\partial \tau} \frac{\partial \phi}{\partial x} \right]

Now, we can use the formula you mentioned:

\int D v(x) \mathrm{exp}[-\frac{1}{2} \int d x d x'~v(x) A(x,x') v(x') + \int d x~j(x) v(x)] \propto \mathrm{exp} [\frac{1}{2} \int d x d x'~j(x) A^{-1}(x,x') j(x')]

In this formula, we can identify v(x) as \phi and j(x) as -2i\frac{\partial \theta}{\partial \tau}. Also, A(x,x') is given by \delta(x-x')\frac{\partial}{\partial x}.

Substituting these values in the formula, we get:

\int D \phi e^{-S} \propto \mathrm{exp} \left[ \frac{1}{2} \int dx~d \tau \left( -2i \frac{\partial \theta}{\partial \tau} \right) \left( \delta(x-x') \frac{\partial}{\partial x} \right) \left( -2i \frac{\partial \theta}{\partial \tau} \right) \right]

Simplifying this further, we get:

\int D \phi e^{-S} \propto \mathrm{exp} \left[ \int dx~d \tau \frac{\partial \theta}{\partial \tau} \frac{\partial^2 \theta}{\partial x^2} \right]

Now, we can use the fact that \theta is a function that is not being integrated over, so it can be treated as a constant. Therefore, we can

Related to How Do You Compute Gaussian Functional Integrals in Quantum Field Theory?

What is a Gaussian Functional Integral?

A Gaussian Functional Integral is a mathematical tool used in quantum field theory and statistical mechanics to calculate the probability of a system evolving from one state to another. It involves integrating over all possible paths of the system and weighting them by a Gaussian distribution.

How is a Gaussian Functional Integral used in physics?

In physics, Gaussian Functional Integrals are used to calculate the probability of a system evolving from one state to another. This is particularly useful in quantum field theory and statistical mechanics, where the system is described by a field that can take on continuous values.

What is the significance of the Gaussian distribution in a Gaussian Functional Integral?

The Gaussian distribution, also known as the normal distribution, is a bell-shaped curve that is commonly used to model random variables in nature. In a Gaussian Functional Integral, the Gaussian distribution is used to weight the possible paths of the system, with the most probable paths having the highest weight.

What are the benefits of using a Gaussian Functional Integral?

A Gaussian Functional Integral allows for a more efficient and elegant way of solving problems in quantum field theory and statistical mechanics. It also provides a deeper understanding of the underlying physical processes, as the integral takes into account all possible paths of the system.

Are there any limitations to using a Gaussian Functional Integral?

While a Gaussian Functional Integral is a powerful tool, it does have some limitations. It can only be applied to systems that can be described by a continuous field, and it assumes that the system is in thermal equilibrium. Additionally, it may not always provide an accurate solution in systems with strong interactions or in non-equilibrium situations.