How Do You Convert Centimeters to Kilometers?

In summary, the speaker is seeking help with converting 43 cm to kilometers. They are advised to multiply by 1 and set up a fraction with the desired units on top and the units to cancel on the bottom. The steps are demonstrated with an example and the speaker is asked to show the conversion for their problem.
Chelssss
I'm not understanding the steps when trying to convert.

The question is...
convert 43 cm to kilometers.

centi-10^-2
kilo--10^3

Now, I'm not sure as to what steps I use in order to get the correct answer.
If someone could explain to me how i'd really appreciate it.
(: thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
Chelssss said:
I'm not understanding the steps when trying to convert.

The question is...
convert 43 cm to kilometers.

centi-10^-2
kilo--10^3

Now, I'm not sure as to what steps I use in order to get the correct answer.
If someone could explain to me how i'd really appreciate it.
(: thanks.

The real trick to units conversions it to always multiply by 1. That's pretty much it.

So to convert from x inches to yards, multiply x [inches] by this "1" [tex]1 = \frac{1 yd}{36 inches}[/tex]

As long as you multiply something by 1, it doesn't change its value, right? You just need to set up the "1" fraction, with the units you want to cancel on the bottom, and the units you want in the end on the top. After you multiply though in my example, you end up with the units "inches" on both the top and bottom of the fraction, so they cancel out, and you are left with units of "yards" on top, which is what you want your answer in.

In general, carry units along with all quantities, and cancel them out when they appear on both the top and bottom of a fraction.

Now, can you show us how to do the conversion in your problem?

EDIT -- Welcome to the PF, BTW.

Related to How Do You Convert Centimeters to Kilometers?

What is the purpose of converting measurements?

Converting measurements is used to change the units of a measurement to a more convenient or commonly used unit, or to compare measurements in different units.

What are the most commonly used units for length, volume, and weight?

The most commonly used unit for length is the meter, for volume it is the liter, and for weight it is the gram.

How do you convert from one unit to another?

To convert from one unit to another, you must use conversion factors. These are ratios that represent the relationship between the two units. Multiply the original measurement by the conversion factor to get the equivalent measurement in the desired unit.

What are some common conversion factors?

Some common conversion factors include: 1 meter = 100 centimeters, 1 liter = 1000 milliliters, 1 kilogram = 1000 grams.

Why is it important to use the correct units when converting measurements?

Using the correct units is important because it ensures accuracy and consistency in measurements. It also allows for easier comparison and communication of measurements with others.