How do you create pitted corrosion on steel with acid?

In summary: I would recommend looking into Corrosion Control Products. They have a wide variety of products to help with controlling corrosion on various metals.
DSC
Hi there,

Wondering if anyone knows how to create pitting in steel with acid as the only method I know takes about 20 years and burying steel in the ground, not very ideal so was looking towards acid as I've heard of other people using it as an oxidizing agent to create corrosion on steel but have never found the recipe or what they used to create the corrosion. I've got some phosphoric acid but the internet says that's not very good at corroding steel.

I know there's tons of acids out there so was hoping that somebody on here would know which one is best at corroding steel.

Many Thanks

Chemistry news on Phys.org
You want it in less than twenty years? Iron boilers pit fairly quickly, can't give you time to mean pit dimensions as a function of water hardness or treatments. Hibachis and other cast iron barbecue grills pit in a matter of maybe one or two seasons. What time frame are you looking to achieve? This is for antiquing, or artistic purposes?

Bystander said:
You want it in less than twenty years? Iron boilers pit fairly quickly, can't give you time to mean pit dimensions as a function of water hardness or treatments. Hibachis and other cast iron barbecue grills pit in a matter of maybe one or two seasons. What time frame are you looking to achieve? This is for antiquing, or artistic purposes?

More antiquing than artistic and was hoping for the steel to pit as quickly as possible, ideally a week as it'll be on multiple objects but can be between a month or two, depending on how many objects are going at the same time.

Bystander is definitely right about high temperature speeding up the process. Keeping it hot, wet (preferably wet with sea or salt water) and with access to the fresh air is the most obvious approach.

I am not saying there are no faster alternatives using some more corrosive chemicals, but nothing obvious comes to mind. I mean - if you put it in the acid, effect will be different, as corrosion is not just a dissolution on the surface, it is more about electrochemical cells developing on the surface and to some effect following material structure.

I would recommend using hydrochloric acid to create pitting on steel. This acid is known to be highly corrosive to steel and can create pits or holes on the surface of the metal. However, it is important to handle hydrochloric acid with caution as it is a strong acid and can be dangerous if not used properly. It is essential to wear protective gear, such as gloves and goggles, and to work in a well-ventilated area when using hydrochloric acid. Additionally, I would recommend conducting a small test on a small piece of steel first to determine the concentration and exposure time needed to achieve the desired level of pitting. It is also important to properly dispose of the acid and any contaminated materials after use. I hope this helps in your experiments.

1. How does acid cause pitted corrosion on steel?

Acid can cause pitted corrosion on steel by reacting with the metal, resulting in the formation of small pits or holes in the surface. This reaction is known as chemical corrosion and can be accelerated by certain acids, such as hydrochloric acid or sulfuric acid.

2. What types of acids are commonly used to create pitted corrosion on steel?

Strong mineral acids, such as hydrochloric acid, sulfuric acid, and nitric acid, are commonly used to create pitted corrosion on steel. These acids have a high reactivity with metals and can cause rapid corrosion.

3. How do you control the extent of pitted corrosion on steel using acid?

The extent of pitted corrosion on steel can be controlled by adjusting the concentration and duration of exposure to the acid. Lower concentrations and shorter exposure times will result in less severe corrosion, while higher concentrations and longer exposure times will lead to more significant pitting.

4. Are there any safety precautions to take when creating pitted corrosion on steel with acid?

Yes, it is essential to take proper safety precautions when working with acids. This includes wearing protective gear, such as gloves and goggles, and working in a well-ventilated area. It is also crucial to handle acids carefully and dispose of them properly to prevent any harm to yourself and the environment.

5. Can pitted corrosion on steel be prevented?

Yes, pitted corrosion on steel can be prevented by using corrosion-resistant materials, such as stainless steel, or by applying protective coatings to the metal surface. Regular maintenance and cleaning can also help prevent pitted corrosion from occurring.