How Do You Determine the Magnitude of Electric Charges on the X-axis?

In summary, the three charges have a force on a charge of -5.00 *10^-6 C which is calculated using Coulomb's Law.
kdaerdna
Given three charges fixed along the x-axis and their length from the origin, how do I find their magnitude in C's?

Physics news on Phys.org
Are you familiar with Coloumb's Law?

Yes, I am. I know how to use the law to find the magnitude of the Forces created by the electric charges, but I can't figure out how to find magnitides of the charges themselves!

kdaerdna said:
Yes, I am. I know how to use the law to find the magnitude of the Forces created by the electric charges, but I can't figure out how to find magnitides of the charges themselves!

You have 3 unknowns - the 3 charges - you know their coordinates.

How many equations do you need to solve for the unknowns?

Here is the problem: Two charges are fixed on the x axis: one with a charge q1=5.00*10^-6 C at x1=-1.00m and the other with a charge of q2=3.00*10^-6 C at x2=1.50m. Find the force on a charge q=-5.00 *10^-6C placed at the origin (x=0).
***What are the magnitudes of the three charges q,q1, and q2? Express your answer in coulombs*****So, I know how to find the first part, the Force, but I don't know what they are meaning in the second question with the magnitudes.

The question is asking you to find q,q1 and q2 when they gave you those values in the question?

Yeah, isn't that weird. I typed the question ecaxtly like it is asking it. What do you think?

kdaerdna said:
Here is the problem: Two charges are fixed on the x axis: one with a charge q1=5.00*10^-6 C at x1=-1.00m and the other with a charge of q2=3.00*10^-6 C at x2=1.50m. Find the force on a charge q=-5.00 *10^-6C placed at the origin (x=0).
***What are the magnitudes of the three charges q,q1, and q2? Express your answer in coulombs*****So, I know how to find the first part, the Force, but I don't know what they are meaning in the second question with the magnitudes.

That would be a different problem than the general one you posted. As a first recommendation I would suggest in the future that you use the template for presenting a problem in the forum and provide the entire statement of a problem if you have a question.

I am further presuming that you have correctly used Coulomb's Law to calculate the force contributions from each of the charges.

Given the statement of your problem the values are apparently given, so either there is some other piece to it still not disclosed or they are asking you merely for a recitation of the values they have provided.

kdaerdna said:
Yeah, isn't that weird. I typed the question ecaxtly like it is asking it. What do you think?

I think if you give the magnitude and direction of the of the force on each particle, no one should have reason to complain.

Related to How Do You Determine the Magnitude of Electric Charges on the X-axis?

1. What is the magnitude of electric charge?

The magnitude of electric charge, also known as electric charge magnitude, is a physical quantity that measures the amount of electric charge on an object. It is typically measured in coulombs (C) and can be either positive or negative.

2. How is the magnitude of electric charge determined?

The magnitude of electric charge is determined by the number of protons and electrons present in an object. Protons have a positive charge and electrons have a negative charge, and the magnitude of the charge is equal to the difference between the number of protons and electrons.

3. What is the SI unit for measuring the magnitude of electric charge?

The SI unit for measuring the magnitude of electric charge is coulombs (C). One coulomb is equal to the charge of 6.241 × 10^18 electrons.

4. Can the magnitude of electric charge change?

Yes, the magnitude of electric charge can change. It can be altered by adding or removing electrons from an object, which changes the balance between positive and negative charges.

5. How does the magnitude of electric charge affect electric forces?

The magnitude of electric charge determines the strength of the electric force between two charged objects. Objects with opposite charges (positive and negative) will experience an attractive force, while objects with the same charge (both positive or both negative) will experience a repulsive force.