How do you double major in Physics and robotic engineering?

In summary, the conversation revolves around the possibility of pursuing a double major in robotics and physics in college. The individual is a high school junior and is considering the feasibility of this option in terms of course requirements, time commitment, and potential conflicts between classes. They are also seeking advice on whether it is a wise decision to pursue multiple interests or to focus on one specific field. Some suggest taking college courses first to gauge workload and interests, while others share personal experiences of successfully combining two majors. Ultimately, it is recommended to find a university that offers both majors and to thoroughly research course requirements and potential conflicts before making a decision.
crescentcavae
I've done robotics since I was very young, and I've always loved physics. I'm a high school junior, and I will need to figure out what to apply for in terms of colleges. I wanted to do a double major in robotics and physics, although I'm not sure what aspect of physics I want to go into. Is this a viable option in college? thank you!

Physics news on Phys.org
crescentcavae said:
I've done robotics since I was very young, and I've always loved physics. I'm a high school junior, and I will need to figure out what to apply for in terms of colleges. I wanted to do a double major in robotics and physics, although I'm not sure what aspect of physics I want to go into. Is this a viable option in college? thank you!

Depends on the commitments you have. Ie. would you have to work or BankOfMumAndDad? How fast you grasp concepts.
Time conflict with classes. I am dual majoring in math and physics, but I may need to drop this physics major. Since my math classes and physics classes overlap...

Most of the first two years is similar for physics and engineering majors. You take the full calculus series, ODE, LA, the intro chem course, intro physics sequence.

crescentcavae said:
I wanted to do a double major in robotics and physics, although I'm not sure what aspect of physics I want to go into. Is this a viable option in college?
Find a university that offers both majors. On its web site, look up the course requirements for both majors. Figure out whether the total number of hours is do-able in four years, taking into account duplicate requirements (as MidgetDwarf noted) and general-education requirements.

Then there's the issue of possible scheduling conflicts between courses required for the two majors. Those are probably difficult to find out about, years in advance, because course schedules can and do change.

Robotics is basically an engineering area. Why would you want to major in physics if your career interests are in robotics? Conversely, why would you want to study robotics if your career interests are in physics? It seems to me that some serious reflection is required about what you want to do with your life. College is not just about pursuing your several interests, but more about preparing for your life's work.

Dr.D said:
Robotics is basically an engineering area. Why would you want to major in physics if your career interests are in robotics? Conversely, why would you want to study robotics if your career interests are in physics? It seems to me that some serious reflection is required about what you want to do with your life. College is not just about pursuing your several interests, but more about preparing for your life's work.
Hello,
Robotics engineering is one of the most rapidly developing career topics. Robotics is not confined to only artificial intelligence, it is a subject that can be applicable to many different career fields. As a high schooler, yes, I need a lot of reflection on what I want to do in the future, but I am hoping to supplement my learning with an engineering degree. I've heard that astronomy and astrophysics would be helped by an optical engineering or even electrical engineering degree, or even quantum mechanics and string theory/quantum field theory with computer science. I'm not trying to pursue my different career fields, I'm trying to understand whether a dual degree in physics and engineering would be viable. Thank you.

crescentcavae said:
Hello,
Robotics engineering is one of the most rapidly developing career topics. Robotics is not confined to only artificial intelligence, it is a subject that can be applicable to many different career fields. As a high schooler, yes, I need a lot of reflection on what I want to do in the future, but I am hoping to supplement my learning with an engineering degree. I've heard that astronomy and astrophysics would be helped by an optical engineering or even electrical engineering degree, or even quantum mechanics and string theory/quantum field theory with computer science. I'm not trying to pursue my different career fields, I'm trying to understand whether a dual degree in physics and engineering would be viable. Thank you.
I don't know much about the engineering, since I am majoring in pure mathematics/ physics. But I can offer a great piece of advice.

Since you are a junior in high school, and not even a freshman in college. It is important to not plan so far into the future. Yes, it is important that you are exploring your interest. But maybe take some college courses first, to see if you can handle the workload for one major, let alone two.

Saying is easier than doing.

I do know a close friend of myne who recently graduated in chemical engineering and physics. This person found a way to combine both subjects...

One of my close friends has a doctorate in pure mathematics. Later in life, about 10 years after a math phd, this person went to study biology. Now she combined Mathematics with biology, mathematical modeling for biological systems, and works for a pharmaceutical company...

1. How long does it typically take to complete a double major in Physics and Robotic Engineering?

The length of time it takes to complete a double major in Physics and Robotic Engineering can vary depending on the specific program and the individual's course load. Generally, it takes around 4-5 years to complete both majors simultaneously.

2. Is it possible to double major in Physics and Robotic Engineering at any university?

Yes, many universities offer both Physics and Robotic Engineering programs, making it possible to double major in these fields. However, it is important to research and ensure that the university you are interested in offers both majors and allows for double majoring.

3. Can I choose any combination of courses for my double major in Physics and Robotic Engineering?

While some universities may have specific course requirements for each major, in most cases, students have the flexibility to choose their own combination of courses for their double major. It is important to consult with an academic advisor to ensure all requirements are being met.

4. Are there any additional requirements or challenges for pursuing a double major in Physics and Robotic Engineering?

As with any double major, there may be additional course requirements and workload challenges. It is important to carefully plan and manage your course load to ensure that all requirements are met and that you are able to balance both majors successfully.

5. What are the benefits of double majoring in Physics and Robotic Engineering?

Double majoring in Physics and Robotic Engineering allows for a well-rounded education and opens up a variety of career opportunities in both fields. It also allows for the integration of knowledge and skills from both disciplines, making students more competitive in the job market.