How do you find a curve pipe bending moment and shear force?

In summary: The values for F1&F2 =192064.1831Newton. The splitting of the pipe length is because the material and Shape is different. Length of section 3 = 5.985m. Yes i need to determine the whole BM & SF.
HHJ
A2AD2F3D-D410-4891-98B3-F950A9934C63.jpeg
1. Homework Statement

I have problem solving the bending moment and shear force of a conduit with a curve end. The conduit is lifted in the mid-air with 2 slings and assume it is in equillibrum.

I have attach a drawing for reference.

Homework Equations

What i know, there is a UDL somewhere and the forces y of F1 and F2 is = to the total weight of the whole conduit.Formula for moment at :Lecturer told me to use differentiation:
dMx/dx=0

* thread TBC...

The Attempt at a Solution

Attachments

• A2AD2F3D-D410-4891-98B3-F950A9934C63.jpeg
    A2AD2F3D-D410-4891-98B3-F950A9934C63.jpeg
    35.9 KB · Views: 1,144
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Your equation is unreadable and the parameters in the equation are not defined.

What is the first step in solving a problem like this (hint: it is not plugging numbers into an equation)? Go back to fundamentals.

Likes HHJ
HHJ said:
View attachment 214968 1. Homework Statement
I have problem solving the bending moment and shear force of a conduit with a curve end. The conduit is lifted in the mid-air with 2 slings and assume it is in equillibrum.

I have attach a drawing for reference.

Homework Equations

What i know, there is a UDL somewhere and the forces y of F1 and F2 is = to the total weight of the whole conduit.
Formula for moment at :
Mx = W1(L1/2 *x)+Wx(x/2)-F1sin(@)*x

Lecturer told me to use differentiation:
dMx/dx=0

Chestermiller said:

What is the first step in solving a problem like this (hint: it is not plugging numbers into an equation)? Go back to fundamentals.

Chestermiller said:

Chestermiller said:

Sir Chestermiller, thanks for the quick reply. I am still editing this post please bear with me.

HHJ said:
Sir Chestermiller, thanks for the quick reply. I am still editing this post please bear with me.

If my post is unbearable do you need to spam on the threat?

HHJ said:
If my post is unbearable do you need to spam on the threat?
I don't see any spam (yet).

Likes HHJ
I see your notations on the diagram. What do you get for the values of F1 and F2? What was your rationale in splitting the length into the specific sections 1, 2, and 3? From the geometry indicated on the diagram, what is the length of section 3? Do you need to determine the shear force and bending moment in section 3?

Likes HHJ
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
HHJ said:
View attachment 214968 1. Homework Statement

Chestermiller said:
I don't see any spam (yet).

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    33.1 KB · Views: 356
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    30.5 KB · Views: 413
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    24.3 KB · Views: 358
Chestermiller said:
I see your notations on the diagram. What do you get for the values of F1 and F2? What was your rationale in splitting the length into the specific sections 1, 2, and 3? From the geometry indicated on the diagram, what is the length of section 3? Do you need to determine the shear force and bending moment in section 3?
The values for F1&F2 =192064.1831Newton. The splitting of the pipe length is because the material and Shape is different. Length of section 3 = 5.985m. Yes i need to determine the whole BM & SF.

HHJ said:
The values for F1&F2 =192064.1831Newton. The splitting of the pipe length is because the material and Shape is different. Length of section 3 = 5.985m. Yes i need to determine the whole BM & SF.
There is something wrong with your determination of the length of section 3. The subtended angle is 97.13 degrees, not 90 degrees. Also, the gravitational force is not perpendicular to section 3. The component normal to the pipe in section 3 is g cos (s/R), where s is the arc length along the pipe in section 3. This affects the shear force and moment calculation. How did you determine the center of mass (was this given to you)? Did you check to see if it is correct?

Solved

Attachments

• 74A7598B-02D0-455A-A6D8-3546467744EF.png
    74A7598B-02D0-455A-A6D8-3546467744EF.png
    5.7 KB · Views: 462
  • 9C7273BF-84EC-4E8F-AEC3-D08D0DE1556E.png
    9C7273BF-84EC-4E8F-AEC3-D08D0DE1556E.png
    5.1 KB · Views: 446

1. How do you determine the bending moment and shear force in a curved pipe?

To find the bending moment and shear force in a curved pipe, you will need to use the equations for moment and shear force. These equations take into account the radius of the curve, the applied load, and the cross-sectional properties of the pipe. By plugging in these values, you can calculate the bending moment and shear force at any point along the curved pipe.

2. What factors affect the bending moment and shear force in a curved pipe?

The bending moment and shear force in a curved pipe are affected by the radius of the curve, the applied load, and the material properties of the pipe. A smaller radius of curvature will result in a higher bending moment and shear force, while a larger radius will result in lower values. Additionally, a higher applied load will increase the bending moment and shear force, while a stronger material will be able to withstand higher values.

3. How do you plot the bending moment and shear force diagrams for a curved pipe?

To plot the bending moment and shear force diagrams for a curved pipe, you will need to first calculate the values at different points along the curve using the equations for moment and shear force. Then, plot these values on a graph with the distance along the curve on the x-axis and the bending moment or shear force on the y-axis. This will result in a curve for the bending moment and a series of lines for the shear force.

4. Can the bending moment and shear force in a curved pipe be negative?

Yes, the bending moment and shear force in a curved pipe can be negative. This occurs when the applied load and the material properties of the pipe result in a force that is opposite to the direction of the curve. In these cases, the bending moment and shear force will have negative values on the diagrams, indicating that the pipe is experiencing tension instead of compression.

5. Are there any software programs available to calculate the bending moment and shear force in a curved pipe?

Yes, there are several software programs available that can calculate the bending moment and shear force in a curved pipe. Some examples include ANSYS, SolidWorks, and AutoPIPE. These programs use finite element analysis to accurately calculate the values and can also generate diagrams and graphs for visualization.