How Do You Find a Vector with a Specific Magnitude in the Opposite Direction?

In summary, the conversation discusses finding a vector in the opposite direction of <-4,1,2> that has a magnitude of 3. The first part is completed correctly, finding the unit vector in the desired direction. To find a vector with a magnitude of 3, one simply needs to multiply this unit vector by 3.
mmont012

Homework Statement

Find a vector in the direction opposite to <-4,1,2>, that has a magnitude of 3.

Homework Equations

I think that I did the first part of the problem correctly:
<-4,1,2>
magnitude= sqrt[ (-4)^2+1^2+2^2 ]
= sqrt(16+1+4)
= sqrt(21)
(-4/sqrt(21), 1/sqrt(21), 2/sqrt(21) )
to get the opposite direction, I would just change the signs
(4/sqrt(21), -1/sqrt(21), -2/sqrt(21) )

But I am confused at where to go from here. What does it mean "that has a magnitude of 3"? I may have approached this problem incorrectly. Any help would be great. Thank you for stopping by.

Physics news on Phys.org
You have found a normal vector. The magnitude of a normal vector is ##1##.

Perhaps the answer is more trivial than it first appears, just think:

$$\sqrt{a^2 + b^2 + c^2} = 3$$

Select a vector ##<a, b, c>## such that the above is satisfied. Multiplying the original vector by ##-1## will help. In fact, one is the loneliest one, and the only one you'll ever need for this problem.

Likes mmont012
As Zondrina has pointed out, you have correctly determined a unit vector in the desired direction. Now, what do you need to multiply this unit vector by to produce a vector having the same direction, but with a magnitude of 3?

Chet

Likes mmont012
Ah, okay. I think that I was making this problem more difficult than it actual is. Thank you so much for the help!

Removed "Calc III" from thread title -- this is really a precalc type of problem. Also moved thread to the precalc forum section.

How is this a pre-calc problem if I'm in calc 3 and this is the first time that I've dealt with this? Did my university just not cover this? Or am I behind?

mmont012 said:
How is this a pre-calc problem if I'm in calc 3 and this is the first time that I've dealt with this? Did my university just not cover this? Or am I behind?
Vectors in R2 and R3 are often covered in precalculus with trig courses.

mmont012 said:
No limits, no derivatives, no integrals = no calculus.

Your calc 3 course may simply be providing a refresher on basic vector math before jumping into vector calculus.

Related to How Do You Find a Vector with a Specific Magnitude in the Opposite Direction?

1. How do you find the magnitude of a vector?

To find the magnitude of a vector, you can use the Pythagorean theorem. This involves squaring the components of the vector, adding them together, and then taking the square root of the sum. Alternatively, you can use the formula |v| = √(x² + y² + z²) for a three-dimensional vector.

2. What is the difference between a scalar and a vector?

A scalar is a quantity that has only magnitude, while a vector has both magnitude and direction. Scalars are represented by a single number, while vectors are represented by a magnitude and direction in space.

3. How do you represent a vector graphically?

A vector can be represented graphically by an arrow. The length of the arrow represents the magnitude of the vector, and the direction of the arrow represents the direction of the vector. The arrow should be drawn from the tail (starting point) to the head (ending point) to indicate the direction.

4. How can you find the components of a vector?

To find the components of a vector, you can use trigonometric functions. The x-component can be found by multiplying the magnitude of the vector by the cosine of the angle between the vector and the x-axis. Similarly, the y-component can be found by multiplying the magnitude by the sine of the angle. For three-dimensional vectors, you can also find the z-component by multiplying the magnitude by the cosine or sine of the angle between the vector and the z-axis.

5. Can a vector have a negative magnitude?

No, a vector cannot have a negative magnitude. Magnitude is always a positive value that represents the length of the vector. However, a vector can have a negative direction, which is represented by the direction of the arrow pointing in the opposite direction of the positive direction.