How do you get rref with a variable in the last column?

In summary, The conversation is about setting up a matrix to solve equations where the last value is unknown. The equations are a+2+4=x, b+4+6=x, and c+2+6=x, which can be simplified to a+6=x, b+10=x, and c+8=x. The equations can also be written in terms of an augmented matrix, which would be [1,0,0,x-6], [0,1,0,x-10], [0,0,1,x-8]. This matrix is already row reduced.
OFFLINEX
I'm trying to figure out how to set up a matrix where I don't know the last value ex a+2+4=x, b+4+6=x, c+2+6=x.
Would it be something like this?
[1,0,0,x-6]
[0,1,0,x-10]
[0,0,1,x-8]

Physics news on Phys.org
Are you missing some parameters in your equations?
You have "a+2+4=x, b+4+6=x, c+2+6=x" which I would just write as a+ 6= x, b+ 10= x, and c+ 8= x.

Assuming these are equations to be solve for a, b, and c, for given x, then they are exactly the same as a= x- 6, b= x- 10, and c= x- 8 which are already solved for a, b, and c in terms of x.

If you really want to write them in terms of the "augmented matrix", yes, it would be
[tex]\begin{bmatrix}1 & 0 & 0 & x- 6 \\ 0 & 1 & 0 & x- 10 \\ 0 & 0 & 1 & x- 8\end{bmatrix}[/tex]
which is already "row reduced".

Related to How do you get rref with a variable in the last column?

1. How do you get rref with a variable in the last column?

RREF, or reduced row echelon form, is a method of simplifying a system of linear equations. To get rref with a variable in the last column, you can use the Gauss-Jordan elimination method, which involves performing a series of row operations on the augmented matrix until it is in rref. This will result in the variable being isolated in the last column.

2. What are the advantages of using rref with a variable in the last column?

Using rref with a variable in the last column can help you to easily solve a system of linear equations and find the values of the variables. It also allows you to identify if the system is consistent or inconsistent, and if consistent, how many solutions it has.

3. Can you explain the process of obtaining rref with a variable in the last column?

The process of obtaining rref with a variable in the last column involves converting the system of linear equations into an augmented matrix, performing row operations to simplify the matrix, and then converting it back into equations. This will result in the variable being isolated in the last column in its simplest form.

4. Are there any limitations to using rref with a variable in the last column?

While using rref with a variable in the last column can be a useful method for solving linear equations, it may not always be the most practical or efficient method. In some cases, it may be easier to use substitution or elimination to solve the system of equations.

5. How can I check if my rref with a variable in the last column is correct?

To check if your rref with a variable in the last column is correct, you can substitute the values of the variables obtained back into the original equations and see if they satisfy the equations. You can also use software or online calculators that can perform rref calculations and verify your results.